Even though the Threshers played a double header against the Brevard County Manatees, the big story was the return of Kelly Dugan. He played right field in the first game and was the DH in the night cap. He went a combined 2-7 with a BB, K, and his first HR of the season. He hit the ball hard most at bats. The original plan was for Dugan to play the outfield Friday and Saturday, DH on Sunday, then take stock. Friday’s rain derailed that plan. I expect that he’ll play the outfield Sunday. He could return to Reading not long after that. He looks ready.
The Threshers lost the opener. Continue reading Kelly Dugan Returns, Again; June 13, 2015
The Winter League regular seasons are winding down.
- DWL – ended on 12/21/2014.
- Mexican League – ends on 12/29/2014.
- VWL and Puerto Rican leagues – end on 12/30/2014.
- The Australian League – ends on 1/25/2015.
And then their respective post seasons will start. Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up: Dec. 21 – Dec. 27
I was on the road last weekend and couldn’t provide an update. So, here’s a two-week update today.
- In the VWL
- Willians Astudillo played in 8 games and went 10 for 31, no XBH, 1 RBI, and his first 2 VWL Ks. His overall slash is .314/.351/.400/.751. He has been splitting time in Left and center fields, has one outfield assist from LF, and has committed no errors.
- Andres Blanco played in 12 games and went 13 for 41, 5 XBH, 6 RBI, 6 BB, 5 K. His overall slash is .306/.444/.472/.917. His BB rate is 11.4% and his K rate is 18.3%.
- Freddy Galvis played in 13 games and went 16 for 53, 5 XBH, 8 BB, 7 K. Overall, he is .259/.326/.345/.671 with 12 doubles. His BB rate is 8.4% and his K rate is 21.9%. Surprisingly, he has been caught stealing in 4 of 5 attempts.
- Cesar Hernandez played in 11 games and went 9 for 38, 3 XBH, 9 BB, 7 K, 3 SB. Overall he is .315/.393/.371/.764 with 7 doubles. His BB rate is 11.4% and his K rate is 17.7%.
- Obudel Herrera played in 12 games and went 18 for 47, 2 HR, 6 BB, 6 K, 3 SB. Overall he’s .378/.434/.567/.1.001 with 5 HR, 13 doubles, 3 triples, 7 SB in 7 attempts. His BB rate is 8.6% and his K rate is 14.2%.
- Gabriel Lino played in 9 games and went 6 for 24, 8 K. Overall he’s .247/.345/.329/.674 with 6 doubles. His BB rate is 13.1% and his K rate is 31.5%.
- Wilmer Oberto saw time in 4 games and went 0 for 5. Overall he has 39 at bats in 19 games. His slash is .179/.273/.179/.452. He has 15 Ks in those 39 ABs.
Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up: Dec. 7 – Dec. 20.
Updates on Phillies’ minor league players from around winter ball during the last week –
- Aaron Altherr hasn’t played since November 18th.
- Willians Astudillo hasn’t played since November 23rd, his only appearance where he hit a 3-run HR in a 1-4 outing.
- Emmanuel Marrero hasn’t played since November 26th.
- Cameron Perkins hasn’t played since October 29th.
- Darin Ruf hasn’t played since October 31st. I read that he suffered a muscle strain, returned to the US for a second opinion, and was sent home for the winter.
- Wilber Oberto hasn’t played since November 4th.
- Jesse Biddle hasn’t pitched since November 8th when he was shut down for the winter after an injury.
- Ethan Martin hasn’t pitched since November 29th.
- Lino Martinez hasn’t pitched since November 6th.
- Yacksel Rios hasn’t pitched since November 18th.
- Alexis Rivero hasn’t pitched since October 20th.
Position players – Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up: Nov. 30 – Dec. 6
Well, the Instructional League is winding down. Only a couple of scouts were on hand for the final intrasquad game on Wednesday. Two Phillies’ teams played six innings to a 2-1 conclusion. I don’t have velocities and didn’t bother to count pitches. Instead, here are a few observations. Continue reading Florida Instructional League; Intrasquad Game – 10/8/2014
The Phillies’ game at the Englebert Complex was moved to the Blue Jays’ Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. The change in venue must have been unsettling as the Phillies lost 5-0 to the Blue Jays on Friday. The line up/box score – Continue reading Florida Instructional League Game #10; 10/3/2014
We’re at the tail end of the rainy season in Florida. Tuesday’s game was played at an earlier time and over before I got to the stadium. Today’s intrasquad game started at 1:00pm. Phils1 played Phils2. The game was called after 6 innings. Phils 2 made up an early 3-0 deficit to win 10-3. The pitching was a little sketchy, but some of the guys threw well. Ismael Cabrera started for Phils2 and Carlos Indriago started for Phils1. Each threw 2 innings. Continue reading Florida Instructional League, Intrasquad Game – 10/1/2014
Monday’s game at the Blue Jays’ Englebert Complex was moved up 10:00am to beat the weather. Unfortunately, I was unaware of the change and missed the game. Tuesday’s game against the Yankees at Bright House Field was played at the scheduled time. It’s not about the result, but the Phillies did win 5-1.
Pitchers Continue reading Phillies Instructional League Game #3; 9/23/2014