The winter leagues are winding down. Fewer players are playing as teams are being eliminated. All players should be home or headed home with the conclusion of the ABL in 2 weeks.
Australian Baseball League – The ABL completed their regular season today. Brian Pointer’s Perth Heat have advanced to the first playoff round. Two wins in next weekend’s 3-game series will send them into the final round.
Brian Pointer went 2 for 14 in 4 games with 2 BB, 4 K, and 1 SB. His Perth Heat finished in second place with a 28-20 record. His final slash through 43 games and 153 AB is .222/.326/.386/.711 with 7 2B, 3 3B, 4 HR, and 14 RBI. His K rate is 34.6% and his BB rate is 12.6%. Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up; Jan. 18 – Jan. 25
Australian Baseball League.
Mitch Walding went 4 for 9 in 3 games with a double, 2 BB, 0 K, and 3 R. He committed 1 error on a catch at third. His Canberra Calvary are 20-21 and tied for 4th. His slash through 37 games and 135 AB is .230/318/.341/.659 with 7 2B, 2 HR, and 21 RBI. His K rate is 25.2% and his BB rate is 10%. Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up; Jan. 11 – Jan. 17
Since the last winter ball post, the Caribbean Leagues have entered post season play. The Mexican League begins their semifinals today. The other leagues are in the middle of their round robin segments. The Australian League is still playing regular season games. Over the past 2 weeks, Phillies’ players have put up the following lines. Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up: Dec. 28 – Jan. 10
I was on the road last weekend and couldn’t provide an update. So, here’s a two-week update today.
- In the VWL
- Willians Astudillo played in 8 games and went 10 for 31, no XBH, 1 RBI, and his first 2 VWL Ks. His overall slash is .314/.351/.400/.751. He has been splitting time in Left and center fields, has one outfield assist from LF, and has committed no errors.
- Andres Blanco played in 12 games and went 13 for 41, 5 XBH, 6 RBI, 6 BB, 5 K. His overall slash is .306/.444/.472/.917. His BB rate is 11.4% and his K rate is 18.3%.
- Freddy Galvis played in 13 games and went 16 for 53, 5 XBH, 8 BB, 7 K. Overall, he is .259/.326/.345/.671 with 12 doubles. His BB rate is 8.4% and his K rate is 21.9%. Surprisingly, he has been caught stealing in 4 of 5 attempts.
- Cesar Hernandez played in 11 games and went 9 for 38, 3 XBH, 9 BB, 7 K, 3 SB. Overall he is .315/.393/.371/.764 with 7 doubles. His BB rate is 11.4% and his K rate is 17.7%.
- Obudel Herrera played in 12 games and went 18 for 47, 2 HR, 6 BB, 6 K, 3 SB. Overall he’s .378/.434/.567/.1.001 with 5 HR, 13 doubles, 3 triples, 7 SB in 7 attempts. His BB rate is 8.6% and his K rate is 14.2%.
- Gabriel Lino played in 9 games and went 6 for 24, 8 K. Overall he’s .247/.345/.329/.674 with 6 doubles. His BB rate is 13.1% and his K rate is 31.5%.
- Wilmer Oberto saw time in 4 games and went 0 for 5. Overall he has 39 at bats in 19 games. His slash is .179/.273/.179/.452. He has 15 Ks in those 39 ABs.
Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up: Dec. 7 – Dec. 20.
Updates on Phillies’ minor league players from around winter ball during the last week –
- Aaron Altherr hasn’t played since November 18th.
- Willians Astudillo hasn’t played since November 23rd, his only appearance where he hit a 3-run HR in a 1-4 outing.
- Emmanuel Marrero hasn’t played since November 26th.
- Cameron Perkins hasn’t played since October 29th.
- Darin Ruf hasn’t played since October 31st. I read that he suffered a muscle strain, returned to the US for a second opinion, and was sent home for the winter.
- Wilber Oberto hasn’t played since November 4th.
- Jesse Biddle hasn’t pitched since November 8th when he was shut down for the winter after an injury.
- Ethan Martin hasn’t pitched since November 29th.
- Lino Martinez hasn’t pitched since November 6th.
- Yacksel Rios hasn’t pitched since November 18th.
- Alexis Rivero hasn’t pitched since October 20th.
Position players – Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up: Nov. 30 – Dec. 6
Nefi Ogando was acquired from the Boston Red Sox for John McDonald in a trade on August 31, 2013. I remember watching him in the Instructional League that fall. He appeared to have a superior fastball. And although he kept it down in the strike zone, it looked to be straight as an arrow. During 2014, he pitched in relief for Reading all season. And in spite of a somewhat poor season, he was selected to participate in the Arizona Fall League. His regular season numbers were –
- G IP H R ER HR HB BB K Avg. WHIP GO/AO W L SV SVO
- AA 48 56.0 64 41 39 6 6 28 57 .291 1.64 1.68 5 1 7 11
His 48 appearances and 57 strike outs were career highs. He posted a 9.16 K/9. However, he also posted career worsts with .291 opponents’ batting average and 1.64 WHIP. He also allowed 4.50 BB/9 and 2.04 K/BB.
Ogando responded with a strong showing in Arizona. He made 12 appearances and allowed runs in only 4 of them. He recorded 1 win and converted 3 of 4 save opportunities. His AFL numbers – Continue reading AFL – Nefi Ogando
The Scottsdale Scorpions beat the Salt River Rafters 7-4 in the Arizona Fall League opener for both teams last night. Three Phillies’ prospects saw action – Roman Quinn, Colton Murray, and Nefi Ogando.
Roman Quinn started in centerfield and recorded 2 put outs. He led off for the Scorpions and finished with 1 hit in 5 at bats. Continue reading Scorpions Win AFL Opener; 10/8/2014
The Phillies and Orioles faced off in an Instructional League game this morning. It ended in a 1-1 tie after nine innings. The Orioles managed 2 hits, one an infield single, and scored an unearned run on a hit batsman, error catching a pickoff throw, and another error on a throw to try and get the runner at third. The Phillies amassed 4 hits, one an infield single, and scored their run on an Andrew Knapp ground out after Williams Astudillo singled to right and moved to third on a passed ball and a balk. Continue reading Florida Instructional League Game #6; 9/27/2014
I wish I had something fresh, new and exciting to report with the Fightins this past week. Alas, with the team’s 0-6 record, there just isn’t much to talk about here, so we will keep this to a bare-bones recap.
Continue reading Reading Report: 6/16-6/22
It was a mediocre 2-3 week for the Fightins over these past five contests, with a rainout thrown in against New Britain on Thursday. Let’s get to the big stories of the week, including one man on the comeback trail, and another getting his first taste of the Bigs.
Continue reading Reading Report: 6/10-6/15