Updates on Phillies’ minor league players from around winter ball during the last week –
- Aaron Altherr hasn’t played since November 18th.
- Willians Astudillo hasn’t played since November 23rd, his only appearance where he hit a 3-run HR in a 1-4 outing.
- Emmanuel Marrero hasn’t played since November 26th.
- Cameron Perkins hasn’t played since October 29th.
- Darin Ruf hasn’t played since October 31st. I read that he suffered a muscle strain, returned to the US for a second opinion, and was sent home for the winter.
- Wilber Oberto hasn’t played since November 4th.
- Jesse Biddle hasn’t pitched since November 8th when he was shut down for the winter after an injury.
- Ethan Martin hasn’t pitched since November 29th.
- Lino Martinez hasn’t pitched since November 6th.
- Yacksel Rios hasn’t pitched since November 18th.
- Alexis Rivero hasn’t pitched since October 20th.
Position players – Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up: Nov. 30 – Dec. 6
Many opinions on the internet about prospects stem from their stats, and especially small sample size stats. We are all guilty of making snap judgements, but often in that moment we miss out on the bigger picture. Stats help create an objective look at what is happening in the game, but without context or proper use, they can be deceiving and lead us into opinions that may not be aligning with the truth. So with all of that being said we are going to play a game of mystery players and look at some trends that may not be showing up in the traditional triple slash lines or the box scores. Given the small sample size nature of these stat lines they are not meant to be predictive of the future, they are meant to show comparisons and past performance.
So lets start off with Player A and Player B who are showing some interesting trendings from 2013 to 2014. Continue reading Looks Can Be Decieving
Week number two in the books and a look back at the time period of April 10-16…Some quick notes…Cameron Perkins keeps the conversation going strong with continued production…Lakewood prospects really struggling at the plate… The Reading bullpen had a very good week, led by Kenny Giles. I would give him another half dozen or so appearances and then get him moved up….Anyone beginning to notice Cody Forsythe?…Tyson Gillies doing what he does.
Hot Hitters: Cameron Perkins (.524, 7R, HR, 7RBI, SB); Cesar Hernandez (.474, 5R); Willians Astudillo (.471, HR, 4RBI); Angelo Mora (.385); Albert Cartwright (.353), Aaron Altherr (.313, 4R, SB)
Not Hot Hitters: Andrew Pullin (.056); Anthony Phillips (.077); Dylan Cozens (.130); Justin Parr (.133); Zach Green (.136); Ronny Cedeno(.143); Tyson Gillies (.154); Maikel Franco (.167); Samuel Hiciano (.167); JP Crawford (.174)
Hot Starters: Miguel Nunez (2 starts, 13IP 15H 3ER 0BB 10K); Tyler Viza (2 starts, 12IP 11H 4ER 1BB 8K); Luis Paulino (5IP 3H 1ER 0BB 3K) Continue reading Hot or Not