The winter leagues are winding down. Fewer players are playing as teams are being eliminated. All players should be home or headed home with the conclusion of the ABL in 2 weeks.
Australian Baseball League – The ABL completed their regular season today. Brian Pointer’s Perth Heat have advanced to the first playoff round. Two wins in next weekend’s 3-game series will send them into the final round.
Brian Pointer went 2 for 14 in 4 games with 2 BB, 4 K, and 1 SB. His Perth Heat finished in second place with a 28-20 record. His final slash through 43 games and 153 AB is .222/.326/.386/.711 with 7 2B, 3 3B, 4 HR, and 14 RBI. His K rate is 34.6% and his BB rate is 12.6%. Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up; Jan. 18 – Jan. 25 →
Australian Baseball League.
Mitch Walding went 4 for 9 in 3 games with a double, 2 BB, 0 K, and 3 R. He committed 1 error on a catch at third. His Canberra Calvary are 20-21 and tied for 4th. His slash through 37 games and 135 AB is .230/318/.341/.659 with 7 2B, 2 HR, and 21 RBI. His K rate is 25.2% and his BB rate is 10%. Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up; Jan. 11 – Jan. 17 →
Since the last winter ball post, the Caribbean Leagues have entered post season play. The Mexican League begins their semifinals today. The other leagues are in the middle of their round robin segments. The Australian League is still playing regular season games. Over the past 2 weeks, Phillies’ players have put up the following lines. Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up: Dec. 28 – Jan. 10 →
The Winter League regular seasons are winding down.
- DWL – ended on 12/21/2014.
- Mexican League – ends on 12/29/2014.
- VWL and Puerto Rican leagues – end on 12/30/2014.
- The Australian League – ends on 1/25/2015.
And then their respective post seasons will start. Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up: Dec. 21 – Dec. 27 →
I was on the road last weekend and couldn’t provide an update. So, here’s a two-week update today.
- In the VWL
- Willians Astudillo played in 8 games and went 10 for 31, no XBH, 1 RBI, and his first 2 VWL Ks. His overall slash is .314/.351/.400/.751. He has been splitting time in Left and center fields, has one outfield assist from LF, and has committed no errors.
- Andres Blanco played in 12 games and went 13 for 41, 5 XBH, 6 RBI, 6 BB, 5 K. His overall slash is .306/.444/.472/.917. His BB rate is 11.4% and his K rate is 18.3%.
- Freddy Galvis played in 13 games and went 16 for 53, 5 XBH, 8 BB, 7 K. Overall, he is .259/.326/.345/.671 with 12 doubles. His BB rate is 8.4% and his K rate is 21.9%. Surprisingly, he has been caught stealing in 4 of 5 attempts.
- Cesar Hernandez played in 11 games and went 9 for 38, 3 XBH, 9 BB, 7 K, 3 SB. Overall he is .315/.393/.371/.764 with 7 doubles. His BB rate is 11.4% and his K rate is 17.7%.
- Obudel Herrera played in 12 games and went 18 for 47, 2 HR, 6 BB, 6 K, 3 SB. Overall he’s .378/.434/.567/.1.001 with 5 HR, 13 doubles, 3 triples, 7 SB in 7 attempts. His BB rate is 8.6% and his K rate is 14.2%.
- Gabriel Lino played in 9 games and went 6 for 24, 8 K. Overall he’s .247/.345/.329/.674 with 6 doubles. His BB rate is 13.1% and his K rate is 31.5%.
- Wilmer Oberto saw time in 4 games and went 0 for 5. Overall he has 39 at bats in 19 games. His slash is .179/.273/.179/.452. He has 15 Ks in those 39 ABs.
Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up: Dec. 7 – Dec. 20. →
Updates on Phillies’ minor league players from around winter ball during the last week –
- Aaron Altherr hasn’t played since November 18th.
- Willians Astudillo hasn’t played since November 23rd, his only appearance where he hit a 3-run HR in a 1-4 outing.
- Emmanuel Marrero hasn’t played since November 26th.
- Cameron Perkins hasn’t played since October 29th.
- Darin Ruf hasn’t played since October 31st. I read that he suffered a muscle strain, returned to the US for a second opinion, and was sent home for the winter.
- Wilber Oberto hasn’t played since November 4th.
- Jesse Biddle hasn’t pitched since November 8th when he was shut down for the winter after an injury.
- Ethan Martin hasn’t pitched since November 29th.
- Lino Martinez hasn’t pitched since November 6th.
- Yacksel Rios hasn’t pitched since November 18th.
- Alexis Rivero hasn’t pitched since October 20th.
Position players – Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up: Nov. 30 – Dec. 6 →
We haven’t had an open discussion posted since November 3rd. I’ll try to fill this void until …
First, here’s the link to Phillies Offseason League stats –
Check out pitchers Hector Neris, Elvis Arajo, and Manny Chavez. All have sub 1.00 ERAs, and WHIPs around .100. Their SSS includes at least 9 appearances and 8.2 IP. Araujo and Chavez also have nice K/9 and K/BB numbers.
Willians Astudillo opened with a 3-run HR in 1-4 debut in VWL. Freddy Galvis is hitting below .300 for first time since 2011. He’s also striking out at a much higher rate that in previous VWL seasons.
With the rumors that Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez having agreed to sign with the Boston Red Sox swirling around, what if any impact will that have on the Phillies’ off season trade market? Is SF now in on a SP? Is Boston still a likely trade partner for Hamels? Discuss.
After the week that was the Great Blue Jay Massacre of 2014, we were bound to see some roster shuffling with the big club. It began with the outrighting of Shawn Camp and the promotion of Luis Garcia, which certainly did not pay any dividends for the team Thursday night.
It continued with the demotion of Freddy Galvis following the Phils’ 12-6 loss, a shock to none considering his hard-to-believe 2-for-42 start to the season. The Phillies will make a corresponding roster move prior to Friday’s game against the Mets, and the team now has a question that needs answering: Is it time for Cesar Hernandez to return? Continue reading Is it too early for the return of Cesar Hernandez? →