I was on the road last weekend and couldn’t provide an update. So, here’s a two-week update today.
- In the VWL
- Willians Astudillo played in 8 games and went 10 for 31, no XBH, 1 RBI, and his first 2 VWL Ks. His overall slash is .314/.351/.400/.751. He has been splitting time in Left and center fields, has one outfield assist from LF, and has committed no errors.
- Andres Blanco played in 12 games and went 13 for 41, 5 XBH, 6 RBI, 6 BB, 5 K. His overall slash is .306/.444/.472/.917. His BB rate is 11.4% and his K rate is 18.3%.
- Freddy Galvis played in 13 games and went 16 for 53, 5 XBH, 8 BB, 7 K. Overall, he is .259/.326/.345/.671 with 12 doubles. His BB rate is 8.4% and his K rate is 21.9%. Surprisingly, he has been caught stealing in 4 of 5 attempts.
- Cesar Hernandez played in 11 games and went 9 for 38, 3 XBH, 9 BB, 7 K, 3 SB. Overall he is .315/.393/.371/.764 with 7 doubles. His BB rate is 11.4% and his K rate is 17.7%.
- Obudel Herrera played in 12 games and went 18 for 47, 2 HR, 6 BB, 6 K, 3 SB. Overall he’s .378/.434/.567/.1.001 with 5 HR, 13 doubles, 3 triples, 7 SB in 7 attempts. His BB rate is 8.6% and his K rate is 14.2%.
- Gabriel Lino played in 9 games and went 6 for 24, 8 K. Overall he’s .247/.345/.329/.674 with 6 doubles. His BB rate is 13.1% and his K rate is 31.5%.
- Wilmer Oberto saw time in 4 games and went 0 for 5. Overall he has 39 at bats in 19 games. His slash is .179/.273/.179/.452. He has 15 Ks in those 39 ABs.
- In the DWL
- Maikel Franco played in 7 games and went 7 for 24, 2 XBH, 1 RBI, 4 BB, 6 K. Overall he’s .272/.335/.469/.805 with 7 HR. His BB rate is 8.7% and his K rate is 23.1%.
- Angelo Mora played in 2 games and went 1 for 8. Overall in 14 at bats he has 2 singles, 1 BB, 1 K.
- In the PWL
- Jesmuel Valentin played in 8 games and went 8 for 34, 3 XBH, 7 K. Overall he’s .281/.331/.391/.724 with 5 XBH, 7 RBI. In 68 plate appearances, his BB rate is 5.9% and his K rate is 17.2%.
- Rene Garcia played in 3 games and went 1 for 10. Overall he has 12 hits in 44 at bats and has a slash of .273/.319/.409/.728.
- Emmanuel Marrero played in 3 games and went 2 for 7, 3 K. Overall in 31 at bats he is .226/..250/.323/.550.
- Down Under
- Dylan Cozens played in 9 games (thru the 21st) and went 10 for 33, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 2 BB, 9 K, 3 SB. Overall, he’s .260/..308/.490/.798 with 5 HR. His BB rate is 5.7% and his K rate is 29%.
- Chace Numata played in 8 games and went 10 for 32. Overall he’s .269/.303./.327/.630 with 6 doubles. His BB rate is 4.6% and his K rate is 12.5%.
- Brian Pointer played in 9 games and went 8 for 29. Overall he’s .200/.296/.340/.636 with 10 XBH (1 HR). His BB rate is 11.5% and his K rate is 32%.
- Mitch Walding played in 7 games and went 8 for 30, HR, 8 K. Overall he’s .239/.320/.348/.668 with 6 XBH, 18 RBI. His BB rate is 9.8% and his K rate is 25%.
- In the Mexican League
- Victor Arano made 2 appearances – 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K. Overall – 17.0 IP, 15 H, 9 ER, 4 BB, 15 K, 4.76 ERA, 3 Saves, 0-0 Record
- Manuel Chavez made 7 appearances – 9.1 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 9 K. Overall – 22.1 IP, 18 H, 8 ER, 10 BB, 26 K, 3.22 ERA, 2-1 Record
- In the VWL
- Elvis Araujo made 3 appearances – 4.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K. Overall – 18.2 IP, 11 H, 1 ER, 7 BB, 18 K, 0.48 ERA, 4-0 Record
- Cesar Jimenez made 2 starts – 11.2 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 12 K, 2 HR, 1-1 Record. Overall – 42.2 IP, 41 H, 16 ER, 3 HR, 10 BB, 41 K, 3.38 ERA, 3-5 Record
- Manny Martinez made 1 appearance without recording an out – 1 H, 1 BB, 0 ER. Overall – 4.1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 5 BB, 3 K, 0.00 ERA
- Mike Nesseth made 1 appearance – 2 ER in .1 IP. Overall – 2.1 IP, 10 H, 9 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 34.71 ERA, 0-1 Record
- In the DWL
- Luis Garcia made 1 appearance – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 W. Overall – 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 HR, 1 BB, 2 K, 3.00 ERA, 1-0 Record
- Hector Neris made 5 appearances – 6.0 IP, 7 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K. Overall – 18.0 IP, 14 H, 0 ER, 5 BB, 13 K, 1-0 Record
- Nefi Ogando made 3 appearances – 3 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB , 2 K. Overall – 5.2 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Joely Rodriguez made 3 starts – 13 IP, 18 H, 10 ER, 2 HR, 5 BB, 10 K and a loss. Overall – 5 G/4 GS, 21 IP, 18 H, 10 ER, 2 HR, 5 BB 18 K, 4.29 ERA, 1-1 Record. NOTE: He made 7 starts in the AFL – 22.1 IP, 27 H, 6 ER, 6 BB, 22 K, 2.38 ERA, and a 3-0 Record.
And here’s the link to the site http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/org.jsp?id=phi
29 thoughts on “Winter Ball Round Up: Dec. 7 – Dec. 20.”
I know this isn’t the right thread, but what are people’s thoughts about the reports that the Phils may have won the bidding on Jung-Ho Kang? His reported salary demands are not that high for a guy that could be a lottery ticket.
I’m open to the possibility of any new talent in the system. The Hamels rumors with the Padres are very intriguing, especially as it could create some bidding wars within the NL West.
If you know it’s not the right thread, use the right thread…..
The problem with that is it’s difficult to scroll through 400+ entries at the end of every week to find the new comments, and I always end up rereading the same posts several times. I love that we have such knowledgeable and dedicated fans posting a lot of content, but I generally ignore General Discussion threads once they get beyond 200 or so entries because it is tedious to sift through.
Then don’t post it
I don’t have a problem with people posting fairly important prospect news, such as a big Int’l signing looming, on whatever thread is recent and active. I think that’s actually helpful, since it will get a lot of visability, as long as discussion doesn’t ensue.
I definitely don’t want to see our endless big league team debates about what they “should do” in unrelated threads, however.
Please stay on topic in the comments and keep non-related comments in general discussion threads. It really isn’t hard
When you come down from the mountain top you’ll see the General Discussion thread was two weeks old. Just trying to bring a discussion to the table. Sorry to offend you, oh great one.
The guys who run the site and create content for your enjoyment for free have asked us to do this time and time
again, including last again week. I think the least we can do is follow those wishes.
I completely understand this. However, at the time I posted it, it was pretty new prospect news that would have gotten lost in the Old General Discussion. Seriously, to come out my like that like I was one of those “Amaro sucks” posters is a little ridiculous, and judging by the “thumbs downs” you are racking up, I think most people agree. How about I do this to appease you:
It sure is dissappointing that Cozens is striking out at a 29% rate. Hey, what are people’s thoughts about the reports that the Phils may have won the bidding on Jung-Ho Kang? His reported salary demands are not that high for a guy that could be a lottery ticket.
What does Kang have to do with Phillies prospects in winter ball??
It just bugs me when someone takes the tk e to put an article together and the first post in response has nothing to do with their work. But hey I don’t run the site so do what you want. To each their own
I think I explained why I posted it here pretty clearly. It just bothers me when dudes don’t read what they are responding to. And I completely appreciate what Jim did with this article, so don’t try to act like I’m crapping on the guy’s great work. But whatever man, I’ve wasted enough time going back and forth with you. Happy Holidays.
How ignorant can you be.omg
Thanks for bringing something to the table.
Hector Neris looks like he can be a contributor in the NL this coming year. He has stayed hot. Elvis Araujo looks like a good pick-up. The infielders Hernandez, Herrera, Valentin and Blanco are doing well. Astudillo just hits. It may be enough, although I doubt that he is covering a lot of ground in the outfield.
Neris is my pick for a break-out season this year.
Looks a lot better than Dom Brown out there!!
Is that really Astudillo? I’ve seen his body shape described as ‘amorphous’ and read references to him being both shorter and heavier than his official numbers. The guy in the picture looks reasonably fit. Nice catch whoever it is.
That’s how LA guys are. It’s a generalization but a lot of them have sort of a rounder, heavier aspect to them but in a way that usually doesn’t go to the level of being fat. Look at Ruiz. I think it’s just part of the culture. Remember he’s wearing a baggy jersey, and honestly if he wanted to he could really become a lot leaner and able to jump higher but that’s clearly not the way he approaches things. He jumped just high enough to catch the ball and easily let himself be pulled down to the ground rather than holding himself up in the air.
All in all, the scouting report sounds about right based on the fact that he’s unlikely to get himself lean and stay that way. Still, that was an impressive catch for a guy who supposedly isn’t “athletic” (which is BS, in reality he just seems to have a lazy disposition when it comes to the physical aspects of the game).
How do you know he “could really become a lot leaner” and “he just seems to have a lazy disposition”?
What is that based on?
Im not sure it makes him lazy , but really he could get a lot leaner if he really wanted to , It might not be healthy for him, but anyone can do it providing they dont have some medical issue that doesnt allow them to change diet or exercise a lot
Look at the way he lets his body hang and sag rather than holding it up. When you do that, you cause yourself to be weighed down more when you jump up because you have an entire half of your body pushing down on the bottom half. He falls down to the ground so quickly and so easily after jumping barely just enough to grab the ball because his upper half is pushing down on his lower half and accentuating gravity’s own pull on his body. There’s something called muscle activation that athletes sometimes do coming off of major injuries if they’re smart, where you correct your bad habits and learn how to use each muscle to its fullest in order to give yourself the best chance to stay healthy. Amare Stoudemire, for one, did this coming off of his knee surgery in Phoenix. I know Texeira did as well in New York.
You really never noticed the way Howard changed from being lean and holding his body up and having control of it to letting it hang down into his jersey again? He’s probably the best example of it other than Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera.
The point is, the kid doesn’t have an “unathletic” body or build. He just doesn’t get enough out of the build he has.
allentown1….Number 37 in CF falling down making the catch is Willians
You are correct he is short and stocky.
Anyone have a decent scouting report on Neris?
It is kind of mind blowing that Astudillo is logging some time in CF.
He is listed at 182 lbs….but he may have a little more weight on his listed 5’9″ frame.
can someone remind me how we got Elvis..Thx!
International Free Agent signing.
Why did the Indians give up on him?
He was beyond a Rule 5 guy at this point.
Comments are closed.