While the Phillies were beating the Astros in Bright House Field, several pitchers who missed facing live hitters due to Saturday’s cancellation got their work pitching for Groups 3 and 4 against the Pirates. This was to the chagrin of most observers who would rather that the young pitchers in the organization not lose 6-7 innings to pitchers who are likely to be released or end up in Lehigh Valley.
Continue reading 2016 Spring Training, March 20th →
Rainy day here in Florida. The Phillies 1:00PM start against the Blue Jays in Dunedin was cancelled. Today out will be their last day off down here barring another rain out. Over at the Carpenter Complex, the minor league games were moved up to 10:00AM to beat the weather. Nice try. A lightning strike in the distance over Bright House Field signaled the end of baseball before 11:00AM. Continue reading 2016 Spring Training, March 19th →
June 24, 2015; Clearwater, FL
Okay, it wasn’t a pennant. But it was the Florida State League North Division’s First Half clinching game. On June 14th, the Daytona Tortugas beat the Tampa Yankees to raise their record to 37-26. That same day the Clearwater Threshers beat the Brevard County Manatees to raise their record to 32-31 and remain 5 games back with 7 to play.
While Daytona was dropping a four game series on the road against the Fort Myers Miracle, the Threshers split their series with the St. Lucie Mets. They crept back within 3 games of the Tortugas with a pivotal half-ending, three game series between the teams this week. A series sweep by Clearwater would tie the teams for the division lead. But the first tie-breaker was head-to-head play, and the Threshers entered the series with a 5-4 advantage. Continue reading The Threshers Win the Pennant! The Threshers Win the Pennant →
The Threshers played two different games in the span of nine innings. In the first game they ran out to a 6-0 lead in four innings against the Miracle’s top prospect, RHP Kohl Stewart. Then they went dormant for four innings as the Miracle mounted a comeback that tied the game. Dylan Cozens’ walk off single in the ninth finally ended the suspense.
Continue reading Threshers Walk Off with Win Against Fort Myers; May 29, 2015 →
The Threshers played two 7-inning games against the Fort Myers Miracle on Thursday to make up for the game postponed Tuesday night. Mark Leiter pitched game one, and David Whitehead pitched the night cap. The Threshers dropped the opener 2-1. They rallied to win game two, 6-3.
Continue reading Threshers Split Double Header with Fort Myers; May 28, 2015 →
Updates on Phillies’ minor league players from around winter ball during the last week –
- Aaron Altherr hasn’t played since November 18th.
- Willians Astudillo hasn’t played since November 23rd, his only appearance where he hit a 3-run HR in a 1-4 outing.
- Emmanuel Marrero hasn’t played since November 26th.
- Cameron Perkins hasn’t played since October 29th.
- Darin Ruf hasn’t played since October 31st. I read that he suffered a muscle strain, returned to the US for a second opinion, and was sent home for the winter.
- Wilber Oberto hasn’t played since November 4th.
- Jesse Biddle hasn’t pitched since November 8th when he was shut down for the winter after an injury.
- Ethan Martin hasn’t pitched since November 29th.
- Lino Martinez hasn’t pitched since November 6th.
- Yacksel Rios hasn’t pitched since November 18th.
- Alexis Rivero hasn’t pitched since October 20th.
Position players – Continue reading Winter Ball Round Up: Nov. 30 – Dec. 6 →