The Phillies came from behind to beat the Blue Jays 2-1. They pushed across a run in the eighth inning to gain a tie, and scored the walk off win with another run in the ninth inning. The game featured excellent pitching by both teams.
Lewis Alezones started for the Phillies and logged six innings of 2-hit ball. Austin Davis chipped in two inning of 1-hit ball. Jared Fisher threw a 1-2-3 ninth inning and picked up the win.
The Jays countered with seven innings of 2-hit ball before the Phillies broke through with an unearned run on Gregori Rivero RBI single. Damek Tomscha fought back from an 0-2 count to lead off the ninth inning with a walk. Jesus Posso sacrificed him to second. Gustavo Martinez followed with an RBI single to center. The Revere-like throw made for a close play at the plate, but Tomscha was ruled safe.
Game notes –
- Alezones – 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
- 19 batters faced, 10 first pitch strikes
- 68 pitches, 41 strikes
- of the 41 strikes – 8 swinging, 14 called, 4 fouls, 15 in play
- of the 15 in play – 5 ground outs, 6 fly outs, 1 line drive out, 1 pop up, 2 base hits
- the 2 hits were a ground ball double down the third base line and a broken bat, soft fly ball single to left
- of the 4 Ks – 2 swinging, 2 called third strike
- After Alezones gave up a leadoff double in the first, the runner moved to third on a ground out and scored on another ground out. Including those two ground outs, Aleaones retired 15 consecutive batter until a lead off single in the sixth.
- After a fielder’s choice, stolen base and throwing error moved a runner to third with one out, the runner was thrown out at home trying to score on a fly ball to Venn Biter in centerfield.
- Davis – 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
- Davis faced the minmum batters when he picked off his only base runner.
- Fisher – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
- Biter had a stolen base and was thrown out trying to score from second on an infield single to the second baseman. After knocking the ball down, the fielder threw home rather than go for the out at first. Good hustle from Biter, good heads up play by the Blue Jay.
- Tim Zier went 1-3 with an infield single and a walk
- Jesus Posso went 1-2 with a sacrifice and a hit by pitch
- Olvy Marte went 1-2 with an infield single and a walk
- Rivero who went 1-3 with an RBI was replaced by Joel Fisher to start the ninth, so the Phillies battery was Fisher-Fisher
- Martinez went 1-4 with a game-winning, walk off RBI
It was great to see the young men celebrate the win around the shortstop area.
The victory coupled with the Yankees1’s loss closed the gap to a single game between the teams. They face each other next week at Bright House on Monday and in Tampa on Tuesday. The Phillies finish with home and away games against the Pirates. The Yankees draw the Jays for their final games.