The Hot Stove Season officially began Friday at 5:00 PM when the deadline for teams to extend qualifying passed. All free agents are now free to bargain with all teams interested in them. “Let the fun begin!”
This is the Phuture Phillies Open Discussion for Phillies and other baseball topics.
The Phillies had a lot of players qualify for free agency. Four major leaguers were among the first to elect free agency – 2B Asdrubal Cabrera, C Wilson Ramos, RF Jose Bautista, and LHP Aaron Loup.
Twenty minor leaguers also elected free agency – INF Trevor Plouffe, OF Ryan Goins, 1B Zach Green, C Matt McBride, LF Danny Ortiz, C Nick Rickles, SS Dean Anna, RHP Pedro Beato, CF Collin Cowgill, RHP Ranfi Casimiro, C Logan Moore, 3B Jesmuel Valentin, RF Jiandido Tromp, 2B Heiker Meneses, RHP Mario Sanchez, RHP Harold Arauz , C Gabriel Lino, 3B Will Middlebrooks, RHP Alberto Tirado, and C Kevin Martir.
Pedro Florimon was outrighted to Lehigh Valley (off the 40-man) and is expected to also elect free agency. Joey Meneses was released so that he could play in Japan.
Malquin Canelo is a mystery to me. He was signed on May 31, 2012 and began playing that summer as a 17-year-old with the then DSL Phillies. He just completed his seventh season in the minor leagues and should be eligible for free agency, but I haven’t seen his name included on any minor league free agent lists but my own. Maybe he has already re-signed with the organization.
If I’m right that Florimon and Canelo become free agents then Lehigh Valley will have a roster made up of 10 pitchers – 8 healthy pitchers, Brandon Leibrandt, and Mark Appel. The quantity and quality of AAAA players the Phillies sign will give us an idea of how many of our guys are going to be promoted this season. Those signings usually come later in the off season, though.
Nationally, seven “lucky” free agents were extended qualifying offers by their former teams. They have until 5:00 PM on November 7th to accept/reject these qualifying offers. Should they decline to accept, they get to enter free agency with disadvantage of having draft pick and international money concessions by the signing team attached to them.
- Bryce Harper, OF, Nationals
- Patrick Corbin, SP, Diamondbacks
- Dallas Keuchel, SP, Astros
- Craig Kimbrel, RP, Red Sox
- Yasmani Grandal, C, Dodgers
- A.J. Pollock, OF, Diamondbacks
- Hyun-Jin Ryu, SP, Dodgers
Josh Bonifay,the new Director of Player Development, was at the Carpenter Complex earlier this week. My friend Steve Potter and I spoke met and spoke with him. Nothing to report. We kind of did most of the talking. At that moment, I think Steve and I knew more about his new charges than he did. He’ll be back later in the month, and will probably have lapped us by then.
The Phillies are bringing small groups of players to Clearwater for work out sessions. I think the current ones focus on speed and agility. Later, after Thanksgiving I think, a strength and conditioning session will be held.
The GMs will attend their yearly meeting this week (Nov. 6-8) in Carlsbad, CA.
- October 12, 2018 – Opening Day for the Mexican Winter League (MPL)
- October 12, 2018 – Opening Day for the Venezuelan Winter League (LVBP)
- October 13, 2018 – Opening Day for the Dominican Winter League (LIDOM)
- October 22, 2018 – Opening Day for the Nicaraguan Winter League (LNBP)
- October 29, 2018, 9:00 AM – “Following the completion of the term of his Uniform Player’s Contract, any Player with 6 or more years of Major League service who has not executed a contract for the next succeeding season shall become a free agent.” Organizations began an exclusive five-day negotiation window (referred to as “the quiet period” in the CBA) with their own free agents. During “the quiet period” any Club representative and any free agent or his representative may talk with each other and discuss the merits of the free agent contracting, when eligible; provided that the Club and the free agent shall not negotiate terms or contract with each other. The following subjects are among those which may properly be discussed between any Club and such Player:
- (i) the Player’s interest in playing for the Club, and the Club’s interest in having the Player play for it;
- (ii) the Club’s plans about how it intends to utilize the Player’s services (as a starting pitcher or reliever, as a designated hitter or not, platooning, etc.);
- (iii) the advantages and disadvantages of playing for the Club including the nature of the organization, the climate of the city, availability of suitable housing, etc.;
- (iv) length of contract;
- (v) guarantee provisions; and
- (vi) no-trade or limited no-trade provisions.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing, the free agent and his former Club may engage in negotiations and enter into a contract during “the quiet period”.
- November 2nd of the last year of a player’s Minor League Uniform Player Contract, the player’s Minor League Uniform Player Contract shall expire and the player shall become a ‘Minor League free agent’ unless the player’s Major or Minor League club has remaining options to renew the contract. (Major League Rule 55)
- According to Major League Rule 3(b), “All Minor League Uniform Player Contracts between either a Major or a Minor League Club and a player who has not previously signed a contract with a Major or a Minor League Club shall be for a term of seven Minor League playing seasons.”
- November 2, 2018, 5:00 PM – Deadline for organizations to submit qualifying offers to their free agents. This year’s QO is $17.9M.
- This is also the deadline for organizations to exercise any club/mutual options.
- November 2, 2018 – Free agents become eligible to sign with any team.
- November 2, 2018 – Opening Day for the Columbian Winter League (LCBP)
- November 6-8, 2018 – GM meetings, Carlsbad, CA.
- November 12, 2018, 5:00 PM – Deadline for players to accept/reject qualifying offers. Those who decline will become free agents.
- November 14-15, 2018 – Owners Meetings in Atlanta , GA.
- November 15, 2018 – Opening Day for the Puerto Rican Winter League (LBPRC)
- November 15, 2018 – Opening Day for the Australian Baseball League (ABL)
- November 20, 2018 – Deadline for roster expansion to 40 players prior to the Rule 5 draft.
- November 26-29: MLBPA Executive Board Meeting, Dallas, TX
- November 30, 8:00 PM EST – Deadline for teams to tender contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters, including arbitration-eligible players. Non-tendered players become free agents. Tendered players who are arbitration eligible who do not accept the tender proceed to the arbitration process in February.
- December 9-13, 2018 – Winter Meetings in Las Vegas, Nevada
- December 13, 2018 – Rule 5 draft.
- January 11, 2019 – Salary arbitration filing deadline
- February 1-20, 2019 – Salary arbitration hearings
- TBA – (last year on February 14) – pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training (tentative: report on 2/13, first work out 2/14)
- TBA – (last year on February 19) – all other players report for full squad workouts (tentative: report on 2/18, first work out 2/19)
- TBA – Minor League Spring Training begins
- February 22, 2019 – Phillies’ 2019 spring training opener at Tampa Bay (TBD)
- February 23, 2019 – Phillies’ 2019 spring home opener v. Pittsburgh (1:05 PM)
- February 24, 2019 – at Detroit (1:05 PM)
- February 25, 2019 – v. Detroit (1:05 PM)
- TBA – (last year on February 27th) – tentative start of minor league spring training.
- February 26, 2019 – at NY Yankees (TBD)
- February 27, 2019 – v. Minnesota (1:05 PM)
- February 28, 2019 – Split Squad v. Baltimore (1:05 PM), at Toronto (1:07 PM)
- March 1, 2019 – v. Pittsburgh (1:05 PM)
- March 2, 2019 – at Tampa Bay (TBD)
- March 3, 2019 – at Minnesota (1:05 PM)
- March 4, 2019 – off day
- March 5, 2019 – v. St. Louis (1:05 PM)
- March 6, 2019 – at Toronto (1:07 PM)
- March 7, 2019 – Split Squad v. NY Yankees (1:05 PM), at Detroit (1:05 PM)
- March 8, 2019 – at Atlanta (6:05 PM)
- March 9, 2019 – v. Toronto (1:05 PM)
- March 10, 2019 – at Baltimore (TBD)
- March 11, 2019 – v. Tampa Bay (1:05 PM)
- March 12, 2019 – off day
- March 13, 2019 – at NY Yankees (TBD)
- March 14, 2019 – Split Squad at Pittsburgh (1:05 PM), at Tampa Bay (TBD)
- March 15, 2019 – v. Toronto
- March 16, 2019 – v. Houston
- March 17, 2019 – v. NY Yankees (ss)
- March 18, 2019 – at St. Louis
- March 19, 2019 – at Houston
- March 20, 2019 – v. Detroit
- March 21, 2019 – v. Toronto
- March 22, 2019 – at NY Yankees
- March 23, 2019 – at Pittsburgh (ss)
- March 24, 2019 – v. Baltimore (ss)
- March 25, 2019 – v. Tampa Bay
- March 28, 2019 – Phillies’ 2019 season home opener v. Atlanta (3:05)
The rosters and lists are up to date.
- organization’s rosters
- organization’s injury list
- organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list (includes player info, assignments, …)
10/29/18 – C Wilson Ramos elected free agency
10/29/18 – RF Jose Bautista elected free agency
10/29/18 – LHP Aaron Loup elected free agency