Miguel Nunez pitched another gem tonight, and the Threshers lost 3-1. Nunez faced a Daytona line up that featured 3 through 6 hitters – Kyle Schwarber (#4 overall in 2014), Dan Vogelbach, Rock Shoulders, and Bill McKinney (#24 overall in 2013). They are all built like blocks of granite and all bat left-handed. Vogelbach and Shoulders have combined for 27 home runs in the FSL this year. Nunez’ line was –
- 6.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 6 K
Nunez allowed only 4 base runners through the first 6 innings. He escaped a one out double in the third with a pop up and a ground out; and a one out triple in the fifth with a ground out with the infield drawn in and a strike out. The heart of the Cubs line up could only manage 3 walks and went 0-9 with 3 strike outs. Nunez gave way to Cody Forsythe in the seventh after with runners on the corners and one out. Forsythe induced a comebacker and started a 1-6-3 double play to end the threat.
Meanwhile, Cubs left hander, Rob Zastryzny, kept the game close after allowing a run in the first inning. Roman Quinn led off with a single. Anthony phillips first-pitch bunted back to the pitcher who wheeled and easily forced Quinn at second. A wild pitch moved Phillips into scoring position and ne scored on Brandon Short’s single to right.
The Threshers had base runners in each of the next three innings but couldn’t manage any insurance runs. The Threshers and Nunez maintained a 1 -0 lead into the eighth inning.
Forsythe came undone after striking out the first batter. Two singles, a walk, a sac fly, and another walk brought in the tying run and left the bases loaded for the the right against lefty situation that all managers strive for. Lee Ridenhour came in to deliver a two-run single to McKinney.
The Threshers put a couple runners on in the ninth with 2 outs but couln’t push any runs across. Final Cubs 3-1.
Fun facts –
- Schwarber caught tonight.
- Rock Shoulders is a cool name.
- McKinney was part of the Samardzija trade.
- Zastryzny was the Cubs second round pick in 2013 (#41 overall).
- Roman Quinn reached base in his 20th consecutive game.
- Brandon Short was caught stealing for the 4th time in 6 attempts.
- Brian Pointer was succesful stealing for the 11th time in 18 attempts.
- Art Charles went 2-3 with a walk.
- Forsythe prevented 2 inherited runners from scoring, blew a save, and took the loss.
- Ridenhour allowed 2 of 3 inherited runners to score.
- Anthony Phillips was ejected after striking out to end the fifth inning.
And the Biddle thing. Mark Leiter and Jesse Biddle were charting pitches tonight. This is usually the task assigned to the next two pitchers in the rotation. Leiter is scheduled to pitch on Thursday. Wednesday’s pitcher is listed as TBD (to be determined). The Threshers roster is at 24 as I type this. Keep an eye on the transactions tomorrow. If Biddle is added to the roster, he might be getting the start.