With about 4 weeks left in minor league seasons, the Phillies started a chain of promotions that looked like dominoes falling. Twenty-year old 3B Jake Holmes (.353) was promoted from the GCL to Williamsport, 22-year old SS Madison Stokes (.338) from Williamsport to Lakewood, 20-year old Daniel Brito (.252) from Lakewood to Clearwater, 22-year old Jose Pujols (.301, 18 HR) from Clearwater to Reading, 24-year old Jiandido Tromp (.228) from Reading to Lehigh Valley, and the release of 31-year old Adron Chambers (.278) from Lehigh Valley. The biggest surprise to me is that J.P. Crawford went on a road trip with the Threshers. I would have expected the SS to continue his rehab at Lehigh Valley.
The Clearwater Threshers (56-51) rallied to beat Bradenton 9-6. Adonis Medina and Blake Quinn buried the Threshers early with a 6-0 deficit after three innings. Medina faced 6 batters and gave up 5 runs before recording an out, and that out was picking the runner off first base. He would give up 3 more base hits before being relieved after the second inning.
Blake Quinn started the third inning by hitting a batter and then walking a batter. He would later force a run home with another walk. Will Hibbs entered the game and restored order with three perfect innings. He would earn the win when the Threshers took the lead in the top of the eighth.
But, not without a little drama. Grant Dyer gave up a couple singles and was lifted with 2 outs. Jonathan Hennigan walked the bases loaded before ending the threat with a strike out. Addison Russ earned his eighth save when he struck out the side in the bottom of the ninth.
The Threshers were held to one hit in the first four innings (Mickey Moniak’s first inning single), and two hits thru five inning (Henri Lartigue’s lead off single in the fifth). These, their only two base runners thru five were erased on a caught stealing and a double play. So, with the promotion of Jose Pujols, there was little reason to expect the Threshers to find a way to overcome a six run deficit.
But, that’s why they play the games. With a reliever taking the mound, the Threshers scored 3 runs in the sixth inning on Jose Gomez’ RBI single, an RBI on a DP, and J.P. Crawford’s RBI double. They turned the game around with a 6-run eighth on Moniak’s RBI single, Lartihue’s 2-run single, and Martin’s 3-run HR (2). The Threshers went 7-10 with RISP.
- #1 Sixto Sanchez (4-3, 2.51) – placed on the 7-day DL in June, 2018
- #3 Adonis Medina (9-3, 4.96) – 2.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, HR
- #6 Mickey Moniak (.255) – went 2-4 with a run scored, RBI
- #12 Daniel Brito (.252) promoted from Lakewood on August 3rd.
- #11 Arquimedes Gamboa (.219) – went 1-4 with a run scored, HBP
- #17 Jose Gomez (.226) – went 2-4 with 2 runs scored, RBI
GCP Phillies East (21-15) lost to the Tigers East 7-2. Carlos Francisco gave up 4 ER on 6 hits and 2 BB. He struck out 7 in 3.1 innings. Gabriel Yanez allowed 2 of 2 inherited runners to score, and gave up one ER on 5 hits. He struck out 4 in 3.2 innings. Taylor Lehman mopped up with two, one-hit innings. Jame Smith had a solo HR (2). Luke Miller had an RBI single. Juan Aparicio (.377) went 2-3.
- #25 Dominic Pipkin (0-1, 3.06) – DNP
GCL Phillies West (19-17) beat the Braves 4-3 with 3 runs in the ninth inning. Kyle Glogoski went 4.2 innings and gave up 3 runs on 6 hits. He walked none and struck out six. Jake Kinney pitched his third scoreless pro inning. Blake Bennett picked up the win with two scoreless innings. Luis Garcia hit a 3-run HR (1) in the top of the ninth to give the Phillies the lead. Logan O’Hoppe had an RBI in the eighth inning. Garcia went 4-5 and also had a double ans stolen base.
- #14 Luis Garcia (.377) – went 4-5 with a run scored, double, HR (1), 3 RBI
Lehigh Valley (68-42) postponed, rain.
- #8 Ranger Suarez (1-0, 2.70) – DNP
- #9 Enyel De Los Santos (9-3, 2.51) – DNP
- #10 Cole Irvin (10-3, 2.77) – DNP
- #15 Roman Quinn (.296) – recalled by Phillies on 7/27/2018
- #16 Dylan Cozens (.248) – recalled by Phillies on 7/31/2018
- #21 Drew Anderson (8-3, 3.91) – DNP
- #28 Tom Eshelman (1-9, 5.97) – DNP
Reading (50-60) lost to Bowie, 6-1. Tyler Viza gave up 3 earned runs on 9 hits, a walk, and 5 strike outs in 6.1 innings. Aaron Brown gave up 2 runs on 5 walks. The Phils were 1-10 with RISP. Newly promoted Jose Pujols went 1-3 with a walk and 2 strike outs.
- #4 Adam Haseley (.347) – went 2-5 with a double, RBI
- #5 JoJo Romero (7-6, 3.80) – placed on the 7-day DL on 7/20/18
- #22 Kyle Dohy (0-2, 5.19) – DNP
- #23 Cornelius Randolph (.231) – went 1-4 with a K
- #24 Connor Seabold (0-2, 6.42) – DNP
Lakewood (68-41) postponed, rain.
- #7 Jhailyn Ortiz (.223) DNP
- #12 Daniel Brito (.252) promoted to Clearwater, August 3rd.
- #18 Kyle Young (3-3, 2.98) – placed on the 7-day DL on 7/15/18
- #19 Spencer Howard (6-7, 4.34) – DNP
- #20 David Parkinson (8-1, 1.51) – DNP
- #30 Nick Maton (.277) DNP
Williamsport (18-27) postponed, rain.
- #2 Alec Bohm (.192) – placed on the 7-day DL on 7/14/18
- #13 Francisco Morales – (3-3, 7.11) – DNP
- #26 Kevin Gowdy – 60-day DL
- #29 Jhordany Mezquita (1-0, 3.54) – DNP
- #29 Colton Eastman (0-2, 6.00) – DNP
DSL Phillies Red (23-30) lost to the Mets1, 7-3.
DSL Phillies White (29-23) lost to the Mets2, 1-0.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
The rosters and lists are up to date as of August 3rd.
8/3/18–Lehigh Valley released OF Adron Chambers.
8/3/18–RHP Ranfi Casimiro assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
8/3/18–RHP Alexis Rivero assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
8/3/18–Lehigh Valley placed C Nick Rickles on the 7-day DL. Left forearm contusion.
8/3/18–Lehigh Valley placed LHP Tom Windle on the temporarily inactive list.
8/3/18–Lehigh Valley activated 1B Matt McBride from the 7-day DL.
8/3/18–RF Jose Pujols assigned to Reading from Clearwater
8/3/18–2B Daniel Brito assigned to Clearwater from Lakewood
8/3/18–SS Madison Stokes assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
8/3/18–SS Jake Holmes assigned to Williamsport from GCL Phillies East.
8/2/18–Philadelphia activated LHP Aaron Loup.
8/2/18–Philadelphia activated LHP Adam Morgan from the paternity list.
8/2/18–Philadelphia optioned RHP Jake Thompson to Lehigh Valley
8/2/18–Philadelphia optioned RHP Yacksel Rios to Lehigh Valley
8/2/18–RHP Andrew Brown assigned to Lakewood from Clearwater
8/2/18–LHP David Parkinson assigned to Clearwater from Lakewood
8/1/18–Philadelphia reassigned RHP Edubray Ramos to the minor leagues.
8/1/18–Philadelphia sent SS J.P. Crawford on a rehab assignment to Clearwater
8/1/18–Philadelphia optioned RHP Edubray Ramos to Lehigh Valley
8/1/18–RHP Alexis Rivero assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
8/1/18–RHP Ranfi Casimiro assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
8/1/18–Sent LHP Junior Tejada on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies West.
8/1/18–Sent RHP Jake Kinney on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies West.