Threshers win! Threshers win! Threshers win!
The Clearwater Threshers clinched the Florida State League North Division Second Half Championship and qualified for the post season. Lakeland’s double header was cancelled due to rain, and all the Threshers had to do was win to eliminate the Flying Tigers, which they did. With the victory, the Threshers will host game one of the three-game semifinal series against Daytona, the first half winner. Games two and three (if necessary) will be played at Daytona.
Earlier in the afternoon, Jose Pujols was named the FSL player of the year. before his promotion to double-A Reading, Pujols had compiled a 301/.364/.523/.887 slash with 18 HR and 58 RBI in 95 games. Even though he was promoted on August 3rd, Pujols still ranks 2nd in batting average, second in SLG, and fourth in HR. Manager Shawn Williams was named the FSL coach of the year. He has led the team to a 75-48 overall record (best in the FSL) with 4 games left in the season. This is a remarkable feat when you consider that the team saw its top four hitters promoted (Pujols, Darick Hall, Austin Listi, and Adam Haseley), a starting pitcher (Connor Seabold) promoted, and the prolonged absence of top pitching prospect Sixto Sanchez.
The Clearwater Threshers (75-58) beat the Jupiter Hammerheads, 2-1, behind Adonis Medina and clinched the second half. Medina (10-4, 4.12) pitched seven innings of one-run ball. He held the weaker sharks to 5 hits and struck out seven.
Trevor Bettencourt (0.60) pitched a perfect eighth. And, Addison Russ struck out the side on his way to his 14th save and the division-clinching out.
Kevin Markham (.244) put the Threshers ahead with a 2-run single in the seventh inning. Edgar Cabral (.246) had reached on a fielding error with one out, and singles by Grenny Cumana (.289) and Jose Gomez (.221) loaded the bases. Luke Williams (.253) had 2 hits and stole his 14th base.
Mickey Moniak didn’t play again, but he was in uniform and is in the picture above.
- #1 Sixto Sanchez (4-3, 2.51) – placed on the 7-day DL in June, 2018
- #3 Adonis Medina (10-4, 4.12) – 7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 74 game score
- #6 Mickey Moniak (.262) DNP
- #12 Daniel Brito (.244) went 1-5 with a K
- #11 Arquimedes Gamboa (.217) went 0-3 with a BB
- #17 Jose Gomez (.221) went 1-4 with a K
- #20 David Parkinson (3-0, 1.24) –
Lehigh Valley (80-55) lost to Pawtucket, 5-3. Enyel De Los Santos (10-5, 2.63) gave up 4 runs on 8 hits in 4.2 innings. Tom Windle (4.33) came in to get the final out in the fifth, stranding one inherited runner. Austin Davis (2.59) pitched a scoreless, rehab inning. Yacksel Rios (3.57) struck our two in a one-hit inning. Tyler Gilbert (3.74) gave up a run in the ninth.
Dylan Cozens provided the offense with 2 of the IronPigs’ 5 hits, both HRs (21) and 3 RBI. Cozens also supplied some defense, throwing out a runner at second base.
- #8 Ranger Suarez (2-0, 2.91) –
- #9 Enyel De Los Santos (10-5, 2.63) – 4.2 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- #10 Cole Irvin (13-4, 2.67) –
- #15 Roman Quinn (.296) – recalled by Phillies on 7/27/2018
- #16 Dylan Cozens (.239) went 2-4 with 2 runs scored, 2 HR (21), 3 RBI, K
- #21 Drew Anderson (8-4, 3.75) –
- #28 Tom Eshelman (2-13, 5.83) –
Reading (64-69) lost to Richmond, 3-2. Ranfi Casimiro (5-4, 3.62) gave up 3 runs (2 ER) on 6 hits in six innings. He struck out seven. Aaron Brown (5.32) pitched two, one-hit innings.
Damek Tomscha (.303) had 2 hits and a walk. Darick Hall (.225) and Jose Pujols (.260) had an RBI each. Drew Stankiewicz (.205) had a hit and 2 walks. Austin Listi (.293) had a hit and a walk.
Cornelius Randolph missed his fifth consecutive game. I was unable to find out why.
- #4 Adam Haseley (.316) Temporarily Inactive List
- #5 JoJo Romero (7-6, 3.80) – placed on the 7-day DL on 7/20/18
- #22 Kyle Dohy (2-4, 6.30) –
- #23 Cornelius Randolph (.244) DNP
- #24 Connor Seabold (1-4, 4.91) – DNP
Lakewood (84-49) took two games from Greensboro, 4-1 and 8-5.
Game One: James McArthur (0.00) pitched four, no-hit innings, issuing one walk. Luis Cedeno (4-3, 3.12) gave up a run on a hit and 2 walks in two innings, and was awarded the win. Connor Brogdon (2.54) struck out two while earning his 5th save.
The BlueClaws collected 5 hits. Matt Vierling (.293) had a double and RBI. Rodolfo Duran had a hit and an RBI. Josh Stephen had a hit and a run scored. Jake Scheiner stole his 10th base.
- #7 Jhailyn Ortiz (.226) went 1-3 with 2 K
Game Two: Gustavo Armas (3-1, 2.32) gave up 2 runs on 3 hits in five innings, striking out nine. Tyler Fallwell (4.26) pitched two innings and gave up 3 runs.
Dalton Guthrie (.250) hit a 3-run HR (4). Jhailyn Ortiz had 2 hits, a solo HR (13), and an RBI. Gregori Rivero (.211) had 2 hits, a double, HR (3), and RBI. Josh Stephen (.246) had a double and run scored. The BlueClaws scored their first 3 runs on a missed catch error, a throwing error, and a wild pitch.
- #7 Jhailyn Ortiz (.229) went 2-4 with a run scored, HR (13), RBI, 2 K
- #12 Daniel Brito (.252) promoted to Clearwater, August 3rd.
- #18 Kyle Young (3-3, 2.98) – placed on the 7-day DL on 7/15/18
- #19 Spencer Howard (9-8, 3.79) –
- #20 David Parkinson (8-1, 1.51) – promoted to Clearwater on 8/2/18
- #30 Nick Maton (.260) went 0-4
Williamsport (30-40) game suspended in the fourth inning with the Crosscutters leading Mahoning Valley, 6-1. Colton Eastman (3.00) had tossed three, three-hit innings giving up a solo HR and striking out five. He was likely finished when the game was suspended, the Phillies have had him on an innings count since he was activated. Ben Pelletier (.274) had 3 RBI on a sac fly and a 2-run double. Alec Bohm (.220) had a 2-run single. Keudy Bocio (.212) had an RBI single. Jake Holmes (.253) had a sacrifice, walk, and HBP.
- #2 Alec Bohm (.220) went 1-2 with 2 RBI, BB, K
- #13 Francisco Morales (4-4, 5.36) –
- #26 Kevin Gowdy – 60-day DL
- #29 Jhordany Mezquita (1-0, 3.60) – DNP.
- #29 Colton Eastman (0-2, 3.00) – 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
The GCL Phillies East finished in first place in the GCL North Division with a 30-24 record. They lost a one-game semifinal on the road against the Palm Beach Cardinals.
- #25 Dominic Pipkin (1-2, 3.64) made 10 appearances, 8 starts. In limited action, he pitched 29.2 innings. In a SSS, he posted a 1.180 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, and 5.5 K/9.
The GCL Phillies West finished in second place in the GCL Northwest Division with a 30-24 (.556) record.
- #14 Luis Garcia finished the season with a league best .369 AVG. His .433 OBP placed third, his .488 SLG placed 13th, and his .921 OPS placed seventh. These were not only team leading but also the best of both Phillies GCL entries. Garcia’s 33 runs scored were fourth in the league following team mate Yerwin Trejo’s 40. He led the league with 62 hits. Placed second with 32 RBI. Trejo’s 23 stolen bases led the league, Garcia had 12.
The DSL Phillies Red finished the season 31-40 (.437) in fifth place in the DSL South Division.
The DSL Phillies White finished the season 39-33 (.542) in fourth place in the DSL San Pedro Division.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
The rosters and lists are up to date as of August 29th.
8/28/18–Philadelphia designated RHP Mark Leiter Jr. for assignment.
8/28/18–Philadelphia optioned C Andrew Knapp to Lehigh Valley
8/28/18–New York Mets traded RF Jose Bautista to Philadelphia for Player To Be Named Later or cash
8/28/18–Lehigh Valley activated RHP Ben Lively from the 7-day DL
8/28/18–Lakewood placed LHP Will Stewart on the 7-day DL. Left shin contusion.
8/28/18–RHP James McArthur assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
8/28/18–Lakewood sent LHP Kyle Young on a rehab assignment to Williamsport
8/27/18–Philadelphia sent SS Pedro Florimon on a rehab assignment to Lehigh Valley
8/27/18–Philadelphia traded 1B Jack Zoellner to Baltimore for Future Considerations
8/27/18–Lehigh Valley placed Jesse Valentin on the 7-day DL. Right hamstring strain.
8/27/18–Lehigh Valley activated C Nick Rickles from the 7-day DL
8/27/18–RHP Blake Quinn assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
8/27/18–RHP Will Hibbs assigned to Reading from Williamsport
8/27/18–RHP Eric White assigned to Williamsport from GCL Phillies East.
8/25/18–Philadelphia sent RHP Jose Taveras outright to Reading
8/25/18–RF Jiandido Tromp assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
8/25/18–LHP Jeff Singer assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
8/25/18–RHP Edgar Garcia assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
8/25/18–Reading placed LF Adam Haseley on the temporarily inactive list
8/25/18–Brian Mims assigned to Clearwater from Williamsport
8/25/18–RHP Ben Brown assigned to Williamsport from GCL Phillies West
8/23/18–Philadelphia activated LHP Luis Avilan.
8/23/18–Philadelphia placed RHP Edubray Ramos on the 10-day DL. Right index finger blister.
8/23/18–Philadelphia sent SS Pedro Florimon on a rehab assignment to Reading
8/23/18–Philadelphia recalled C Andrew Knapp from Lehigh Valley
8/23/18–Lehigh Valley activated 2B Ryan Goins from the 7-day DL
8/23/18–Reading sent RHP Mario Sanchez on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies East.
8/23/18–RHP Blake Bennett assigned to Williamsport from GCL Phillies West.
8/23/18–RHP Jack Perkins assigned to GCL Phillies West from Williamsport
8/23/18–LHP Jhordany Mezquita assigned to GCL Phillies West from Williamsport
8/23/18–LHP Ethan Evanko assigned to Williamsport from GCL Phillies West.
8/22/18–Philadelphia designated RHP Jose Taveras for assignment.