The Clearwater Threshers (74-58) beat Jupiter, 11-3 and lowered their “magic number” to clinch the division to two games.
David Parkinson (3-0, 1.24) pitched six, four-hit innings allowing one run and striking out nine. (Game score, 72) Jonathan Hennigan was tapped for two unearned runs in his one inning. J.D. Hammer walked two and struck out two in his one inning. Addison walked one and struck out two in his one inning.
The Threshers built a 5-1 lead in the seventh but the Hammerheads closed to within 5-3 in the bottom of the inning. The Threshers responded with a six-run ninth to salt the game away.
Mickey Moniak was given the night off, but three Threshers responded with 3-hit games. Arquimedes Gamboa had 3 hits and 2 RBI. Luke Williams had 3 hits and an RBI. Grenny Cumana had 3 hits, a double, and 2 RBI. Henri Lartigue had a double, walk, and 4 RBI. Kevin Markham went hitless as the center fielder, but scored 2 runs, walked twice, and had an RBI.
The victory, coupled with Lakeland’s rained out double header, allowed the Threshers to lower their division clinching magic number to two games. Dunedin was eliminated from contention for the North Division title. One of Lakeland’s five games against St. Lucie has been cancelled. They need to win out and hope that the Threshers don’t win two games. They also have to play double headers on each of the next two days.
- #1 Sixto Sanchez (4-3, 2.51) – placed on the 7-day DL in June, 2018
- #3 Adonis Medina (9-4, 4.31) – DNP
- #6 Mickey Moniak (.262) DNP
- #12 Daniel Brito (.247) went 1-5 with a run scored, BB, 2 K
- #11 Arquimedes Gamboa (.218) went 3-5 with 2 runs scored, a double, 2 RBI, BB, K
- #17 Jose Gomez (.220) DNP
- #20 David Parkinson (3-0, 1.24) – 6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 K
Lehigh Valley (80-54) beat Pawtucket, 9-3. Ranger Suarez pitched 6.1 innings giving up 3 runs (2 ER) on 5 hits in 6.1 innings. Tom Windle faced one batter and walked him. Edgar Garcia blew the save allowing the tying run to score. Ben Lively made his first appearance since coming off the DL. He pitched two innings, struck out four, and got the win.
The IronPigs put the game away with a 6-run, ninth inning. Mitch Walding had 2 hits and 2 RBI. Aaron Altherr and Joey Meneses had 2 hits each. J.P. Crawford and Pedro Florimon had 2 RBI each.
- #8 Ranger Suarez (2-0, 2.91) – 6.1 IP, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- #9 Enyel De Los Santos (10-4, 2.43) –
- #10 Cole Irvin (13-4, 2.67) –
- #15 Roman Quinn (.296) – recalled by Phillies on 7/27/2018
- #16 Dylan Cozens (.235) went 1-5 with an RBI, 2 K
- #21 Drew Anderson (8-4, 3.75) –
- #28 Tom Eshelman (2-13, 5.83) –
Reading (64-68) beat Richmond, 5-4. Harold Arauz pitched six, shutout innings. Josh Tols had his worst outing of the season, blowing the save with 4 runs in 0.1 innings. Luke Leftwich got the win with 1.2 innings allowing an inherited runner to score. Jeff Singer earned his 12th save.
Darick Hall had 2 hits, a double, and 2 RBI. Drew Stankiewicz, Jiandido Tromp, and Malquin Canelo had 2 hits each. Randolph was out pf the line up again.
- #4 Adam Haseley (.316) Temporarily Inactive List
- #5 JoJo Romero (7-6, 3.80) – placed on the 7-day DL on 7/20/18
- #22 Kyle Dohy (2-4, 6.30) –
- #23 Cornelius Randolph (.244) DNP
- #24 Connor Seabold (1-4, 4.91) – DNP
Lakewood (82-49) postponed, wet grounds.
- #7 Jhailyn Ortiz (.225)
- #12 Daniel Brito (.252) promoted to Clearwater, August 3rd.
- #18 Kyle Young (3-3, 2.98) – placed on the 7-day DL on 7/15/18
- #19 Spencer Howard (9-8, 3.79) –
- #20 David Parkinson (8-1, 1.51) – promoted to Clearwater on 8/2/18
- #30 Nick Maton (.262)
Williamsport (30-40) beat Mahoning Valley, 8-0. Kyle Young pitched three perfect innings in a rehab start. He threw 34 pitches and struck out two. Manuel Silva pitched five shutout innings, striking out five, and getting the win. Blake Bennett threw seven pitches in a perfect ninth. The pitchers tossed a combined two-hitter.
Lenin Rodriguez went 2-2 with a double, walk, and 2 RBI after entering the game in place of Rafael Marchan who was struck in the mask by a foul ball. Brayan Gonzalez, Matt Kroon, and Ben Aklinski had 2 hits each. Kroon scored 3 times.
Mitch Rupert reported that in 4 home starts at Bowman Field, Young has yet to give up an earned run. His combined line in those games – 19 IP, 9 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 22 K, 247 pitches, 173 strikes, 70% K-rate, 0.58 WHIP, 0.95 BB/9, 10.4 K/9, and a 3-0 record.
- #2 Alec Bohm (.213) went 0-4 with a run scored, BB, K
- #13 Francisco Morales (4-4, 5.36) –
- #26 Kevin Gowdy – 60-day DL
- #29 Jhordany Mezquita (1-0, 3.60) – DNP.
- #29 Colton Eastman (0-2, 3.00) –
The GCL Phillies East finished in first place in the GCL North Division with a 30-24 record. They lost a one-game semifinal on the road against the Palm Beach Cardinals.
- #25 Dominic Pipkin (1-2, 3.64) made 10 appearances, 8 starts. In limited action, he pitched 29.2 innings. In a SSS, he posted a 1.180 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, and 5.5 K/9.
The GCL Phillies West finished in second place in the GCL Northwest Division with a 30-24 (.556) record.
- #14 Luis Garcia finished the season with a league best .369 AVG. His .433 OBP placed third, his .488 SLG placed 13th, and his .921 OPS placed seventh. These were not only team leading but also the best of both Phillies GCL entries. Garcia’s 33 runs scored were fourth in the league following team mate Yerwin Trejo’s 40. He led the league with 62 hits. Placed second with 32 RBI. Trejo’s 23 stolen bases led the league, Garcia had 12.
The DSL Phillies Red finished the season 31-40 (.437) in fifth place in the DSL South Division.
The DSL Phillies White finished the season 39-33 (.542) in fourth place in the DSL San Pedro Division.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
The rosters and lists are up to date as of August 28th.
8/28/18–Philadelphia optioned C Andrew Knapp to Lehigh Valley
8/28/18–New York Mets traded RF Jose Bautista to Philadelphia for Player To Be Named Later or cash
8/28/18–Lehigh Valley activated RHP Ben Lively from the 7-day DL
8/28/18–Lakewood placed LHP Will Stewart on the 7-day DL. Left shin contusion.
8/28/18–RHP James McArthur assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
8/28/18–Lakewood sent LHP Kyle Young on a rehab assignment to Williamsport
8/27/18–Philadelphia sent SS Pedro Florimon on a rehab assignment to Lehigh Valley
8/27/18–Philadelphia traded 1B Jack Zoellner to Baltimore for Future Considerations
8/27/18–Lehigh Valley placed 2B Jesmuel Valentin on the 7-day DL retro to 8/25/18. Right hamstring strain.
8/27/18–Lehigh Valley activated C Nick Rickles from the 7-day DL
8/27/18–RHP Blake Quinn assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
8/27/18–RHP Will Hibbs assigned to Reading from Williamsport
8/27/18–RHP Eric White assigned to Williamsport from GCL Phillies East.
8/25/18–Philadelphia sent RHP Jose Taveras outright to Reading
8/25/18–RF Jiandido Tromp assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
8/25/18–LHP Jeff Singer assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
8/25/18–RHP Edgar Garcia assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
8/25/18–Reading placed LF Adam Haseley on the temporarily inactive list
8/25/18–Brian Mims assigned to Clearwater from Williamsport
8/25/18–RHP Ben Brown assigned to Williamsport from GCL Phillies West
8/23/18–Philadelphia activated LHP Luis Avilan.
8/23/18–Philadelphia placed RHP Edubray Ramos on the 10-day DL. Right index finger blister.
8/23/18–Philadelphia sent SS Pedro Florimon on a rehab assignment to Reading
8/23/18–Philadelphia recalled C Andrew Knapp from Lehigh Valley
8/23/18–Lehigh Valley activated 2B Ryan Goins from the 7-day DL
8/23/18–Reading sent RHP Mario Sanchez on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies East.
8/23/18–RHP Blake Bennett assigned to Williamsport from GCL Phillies West.
8/23/18–RHP Jack Perkins assigned to GCL Phillies West from Williamsport
8/23/18–LHP Jhordany Mezquita assigned to GCL Phillies West from Williamsport
8/23/18–LHP Ethan Evanko assigned to Williamsport from GCL Phillies West.
8/22/18–Philadelphia designated RHP Jose Taveras for assignment.