The Phillies had a good week going 4-2, winning 2 series, and 5 of their last 7 games. They continue to have the have the worst record in baseball with a 34-62 record and a .354 PCT.
Eickhoff was beat by the Marlins, Velasquez pitched well in his return from the DL, and Pivetta pitched well enough in a romp to take the series. Nola dominated the Brewers, Hellickson pitched crappy in a shootout loss, and Eickhoff pitched well in a win to take the Brewers’ series.
The Phillies continue their home stand with series against the Astros and Braves.
The Phillies are still 24.5 games out of first place in the East Division. They gained 2.5 games and are 12.5 games behind the rebuilding Braves. They are 10.0 games behind the fourth place Marlins. They are 21.0 games behind the Diamondbacks in the Wild Card race.
Now, the race we have a chance to win –
- PHI .354 34-62 —– (last week)
- SFG .380 38-62 2.0 3.5
- CWS .400 38-57 4.5 8.0
- CIN .418 41-57 6.0 8.5
- SD .439 43-55 8.0 9.5
- OAK .449 44-54 9.0 11.0
- TOR .449 44-54 9.0 11.5
- MIA .458 44-52 10.0 11.0
- DET .464 45-52 10.5 11.0
- NYM .469 45-51 11.0 11.5
The Phillies little win streak tightened the “race for last place”. Everyone gained ground with the Giants closing within 2.0 games back and the White Sox making the biggest game after two line up depleting trades. And, the Reds continue their yearly “tank”. So, the run to 1:1 has already become interesting. Could be a long two months.
I have added a new Google sheet tracking injuries within the organization. It is as complete as I can make it with the information provided in the transactions and whatever I can glean from online media and talk around the Complex. I placed it at the end of the Transactions section, just below the organization’s rosters link. I’ll minimize the font after a week. The link is also here.
Key dates remaining:
- July 31st – Non-waiver Trade Deadline
- December 10-14th – Winter Meetings in Orlando
- December 14th – Rule 5 Draft
- 7/22 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs placed SS Hector Gomez on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to July 21, 2017
- 7/22 – Carlos Oropeza assigned to DSL Phillies White from DSL Phillies Red
- 7/21 – Phillies optioned Brock Stassi to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 7/21 – Phillies activated LF Howie Kendrick from the 10-day disabled list
- 7/21 – RHP Seranthony Dominguez assigned to Clearwater Threshers
- 7/20 – Phillies sent OF Howie Kendrick on a rehab assignment to Reading
- 7/20 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs placed RHP Tom Eshelman on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to July 18, 2017. Right flexor strain.
- 7/20 -LHP Bailey Falter assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Lakewood
- 7/20 – Jose Taveras assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Clearwater Threshers
- 7/20 – Reading Fightin Phils placed RHP Miguel Nunez on the 7-day disabled list. Strained right shoulder
- 7/20 – Reading Fightin Phils placed SS Jorge Flores on the temporarily inactive list
- 7/20 – Gustavo Armas assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport
- 7/20 – SS Dalton Guthrie assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters
- 7/20 – 3B D.J. Stewart assigned to GCL Phillies
- 7/19 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs released OF Osmel Aguila
- 7/19 – SS Matt Williams assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 7/17 – Phillies signed free agent SS Matt Williams to a minor league contract
- 7/19 – RHP Alex Garcia assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from GCL Phillies
- 7/18 – Phillies activated RHP Vince Velasquez from the 10-day disabled list
- 7/18 – Phillies optioned RHP Mark Leiter to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 7/18 – 3B Harold Martinez assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading
- 7/18 – SS Jorge Flores assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 7/17 – Phillies activated 2B Cesar Hernandez from the 10-day disabled list.
- 7/17 – Phillies placed RF Aaron Altherr on the 10-day disabled list retroactive to July 15, 2017. Strained right hamstring.
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.
The new organization’s injury list is as up to date as I can make it.
Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.