The Phillies played their first Florida Instructional League (FIL) game Monday against the Blue Jays in Dunedin. Because of a 70% chance of rain, I went over early and was able to watch Franklyn Kilome start the game at noon instead of the 1:00PM scheduled start time. Continue reading Florida Instructional League – Game #1; 9/28/2015
Here’s an open discussion thread so the minor league posts don’t get cluttered with Phillies’ talk and other topics.
- Aaron Nola tossed 5 scoreless innings Saturday against the Nationals. It became his last start of the season when the Phillies decided to shutdown Nola for the rest of the season. Nola scattered 6 singles and struck out five while walking none. In 2015, Nola threw a career high 187 innings. He started 13 games with the Phillies and pitched 77.2 innings (there goes his prospect status). Nola posted a 6-2 record with a 3.59 ERA. He struck out 68 and walked 19.
- With Nola and Adam Morgan both shut down, the Phillies will go into the final week of the season with David Buchanan and Alec Asher starting the first two games of the Mets series. Jerad Eickhoff will likely start the third game. After a bullpen game in the series opener with the Marlins (in Nola’s spot), the Phillies will probably finish the season with Aaron Harang and Buchanan on the mound.
- The Phillies are in good shape in their drive for the top pick in the draft. They have 97 losses with 6 games to play. Their “magic” number is 4 over the Atlanta Braves. Any combination of 4 Phillies’ losses and Braves’ wins should lock up the pick.
- The only other team that can pass the Phillies is the Cincinnati Reds. The Reds have 92 losses with 7 games left. The Phillies hold the tie-breaker with both teams (lower 2014 winning percentage).
- The first Intructs game is tomorrow in Dunedin. If anything interesting occurs, I’ll post a story.
- I’ll post the Weekly Prospects Discussion tomorrow.