Here’s an open discussion thread so the minor league posts don’t get cluttered with Phillies’ talk and other topics.
- Adam Morgan, Jerad Eickhoff, and Aaron Nola all pitched well against the Atlanta Braves this weekend. Things are looking good for the pitching staff in 2016.
- The Phillies pulled off a major coup with a three-game, reverse-sweep in Atlanta this weekend. In spite of the great pitching from their young starters, they managed to lose 2-1, 2-1, and 2-1. Plus, Eickhoff and Nola managed to avoid taking losses.
- The three-game sweep and their current six-game losing streak have put the Phillies back in the driver’s seat in their drive for the number one pick. They now have a four game lead, plus tie-breaker, over the Braves with 12 games remaining in the season.
- With 94 losses, it’s a cinch that the Phillies reach 100 losses just four seasons after posting a 102-win season.
- The Phillies have shutdown Adam Morgan for the remainder of the season. Aaron Nola may remain in the rotation for the rest of the season.
- One GM candidate is off the market as the Brewers are expected to announce that they will hire Astros 30-year old, Assistant GM, David Stearns, as their GM.
- I’ll post the Weekly Prospects Discussion tomorrow.
Lots of talent to talk about here…Remember grades are based on expectations against the player themselves (pre-season) not against each other. Next up: Relievers (LV, REA and CW), likely Tuesday.
Aaron Brown, 23, Phils 3rd round pick in 2014; .257/.324/.406 in 389AB; 11HR 47RBI; 10/18SB; 6%BB/21%K; .285 vs LHP; .242 vs RHP; .300 last 30 days; 104 games in the OF with 2 errors (.992); 6 OF assists; After starting the season slowly and a stint on the DL, Brown came on strong as a very important cog in the Threshers offense towards the end of the year. He is one of my “under the radar” guys that if given the opportunity could break out next year. Grade: B-; 2016: Reading
ANdrew Pullin, 22, Phils 5th round pick in 2012; .258/.300/.396 in 493AB; 14HR 73RBI; 1/6SB; 5%BB/15%K; .274 vs LHP; .250 vs RHP; .282 last 30 days; 98 games in the OF with 3 errors (.983); 10 OF assists; Pullin transitioned back to the OF this year and was the Threshers primary LF. The transition was smooth and Pullin was a consistent key run producer in the Clearwater lineup. Grade: B-; 2016: Reading
Carlos Tocci, 20, Signed as a free agent in 2011; .287/.339/.363 in 509 AB between Lakewood and Clearwater; 4HR 43RBI; 17/28SB; For CW: .258/.296/.313 in 275AB; 2HR 18RBI; 3/12 SB; 4%BB/18%K rates; 127 games in the OF with 2 errors (.991); 5 OF assists; After almost 1200 plate appearances with Lakewood, Tocci was promoted after putting up outstanding numbers for the BlueClaws early this season. Still just 20, Tocci’s transition to Clearwater was acceptable but he will need more time in High A before moving up. His defense remains excellent. Grade: B+; 2016: Clearwater Continue reading Post Season Report Card–OF, CW, REA and LV
And that will be your season! The Reading Fightin’ Phils lost the fifth and deciding game of the Eastern League Championship Series 7-2 to the Bowie Baysox (BAL). Reading had a fine season where they showed significant improvement over a 2014 team that finished 10 games under .500. Reading finished the 2015 season in first place in the Eastern Division and had the best regular season record in the entire Eastern League (80-61, .567). With the loss, the seasons of all the organization’s affiliates have been completed. Reading had been one of three teams to make the post season. Six of the organizations’s eight teams finished with winning records. Continue reading Playoffs Box Score Recap – 9/19/2015