The Clearwater Threshers (70-56) walked off against Dunedin, 5-4 on Raul Rivas solo HR. David Parkinson labored through five innings. He gave up one run on 5 hits and 2 walks. He struck out two. Jonathan Hennigan blew the save opportunity with two runs in one inning. Trevor Bettencourt pitched two scoreless innings. Addison Russ blew the save but got the win with Rivas’ heroics.
Mickey Moniak, Raul Rivas, and Jose Gomez had 2 hits each. Rivas had 2 RBI. Kevin Markham and Gomez each had an RBI.
Kevin Markham had an outfield assist at first base.
The Threshers turned four double plays.
- #1 Sixto Sanchez (4-3, 2.51) – placed on the 7-day DL in June, 2018
- #3 Adonis Medina (9-3, 4.39)
- #6 Mickey Moniak (.265) went 2-4 with a run scored, K
- #12 Daniel Brito (.250) went 1-4 with a K
- #11 Arquimedes Gamboa (.213) DNP
- #17 Jose Gomez (.222) went 2-3 with an RBI, K
- #20 David Parkinson (2-0, 1.17) – 5.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
GCP Phillies East (30-22) beat the Tigers East, 2-0. Dominic Pipkin had a great bounc back outing. He pitched four, four-hit innings walking none and striking out two. Ben Lively tossed a no-hit inning, but after a 3-1 GB and a K, he walked the next batter on 4 FB below the zone and threw a WP that resulted in the third out at third base when the runner tried to advance from first to third on the pitch. Alejandro Made and Brian Auerbach each threw two, no-hit innings to complete the combined shutout.
Tigers pitching was equally efficient until Logan Simmons dropped a two-out, squeeze bunt down the third base line with runners on first and third in the fourth inning. Jack Zoellner avoided the pitcher’s tag to score on the play. (The pitcher made a helluva play to field the ball on the line and almost got the out.) Carlos De La Cruz was hit by a pitch to force home a run an inning later.
Jack Conley picked a runner off first base.
Carlos De La Cruz had an outfield assist at third base.
Jack Zoellner had a stolen base (1) to help set up the first run.
Pipkin had an 8-pitch first inning. He threw 42 pitches in his four innings. His arsenal includes a FB, SL, CH. His FB range was 87-95 mph. he was mostly 87-91 early then exploded with a 95 mph FB after 4 low 80s SL. He touched 92 in the third, but I only saw the 2 pitches over 91 mph. His SL runs hard and rides low to his glove side.
- #25 Dominic Pipkin (1-2, 3.64) – 4.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
GCL Phillies West (29-23) beat the Braves, 13-9. Kyle Glogoski gave up 3 runs on seven hits in five innings. He walked one and struck out five. Junior Tejada threw two, no-hit innings. Jake Kinney gave up a two-out, 3-run HR in his one inning. Alex Garcia gave up 3 unearned runs in the ninth.
Yerwin Trejo had 3 hits and 2 runs scored. Luis Garcia had 2 hits including a double and 3 RBI. Abrahan Gutierrez had 2 hits, 3 runs scored, a double, and 3 RBI. Trent Bowles had a 2-run HR (1) and 4 RBI.
Trejo stole his 23rd base, Gutierrez his 2nd, and Bowles his 9th.
- #14 Luis Garcia (.364) went 2-5 with 2 runs scored, a double, and 3 RBI
Lehigh Valley (76-52) lost to Syracuse, 7-3. Ranger Suarez pitched six, one-run innings. He gave up 6 hits, walked none, and struck out three. Jeff Singer pitched a clean seventh, but couldn’t record an out in the eighth, facing 4 batters. Tom Windle allowed all 3 inherited runners to score plus two of his own.
Logan Moore had a 2-run HR (3). J.P. Crawford (.100) went 0-4 with a walk and 3 K. Fourteen IronPigs struck out.
The IronPigs are on the verge of clinching the division with a 10 game lead and 12 games remaining. They are limping to the finish with a .500 record in August (11-11).
- #8 Ranger Suarez (2-0, 2.92) – 6.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- #9 Enyel De Los Santos (10-4, 2.56)
- #10 Cole Irvin (12-4, 2.71)
- #15 Roman Quinn (.296) – recalled by Phillies on 7/27/2018
- #16 Dylan Cozens (.238) went 0-3 with a BB, 2 K
- #21 Drew Anderson (8-4, 3.75) –
- #28 Tom Eshelman (2-12, 5.61)
Reading (60-66) lost to Trenton, 8-7. Tyler Viza pitched 6.2 inningsand gave up 2 runs on 4 hits and 2 walks. Kyle Dohy stranded a runner to escape the seventh, but walked the bases loaded in the eighth. He took the loss when Seth McGarry entered and went BB, SF, BB, HR blowing the save and burying the Phils. Aaron Brown loaded the bases in the ninth, but escaped without giving up a run.
Adam Haseley had 3 hits including a solo HR (6) and a walk. Cornelius Randolph had 2 hits including a double, 2 RBI. and 2 walks. Jose Pujols had 2 hits including a 3-run HR (4) that pulled the Phils within one in the eighth.
Dohy picked a runner off first base. Phils pitchers walked 10 batters.
- #4 Adam Haseley (.323) went 3-4 with 3 runs scored, HR (6), RBI, BB
- #5 JoJo Romero (7-6, 3.80) – placed on the 7-day DL on 7/20/18
- #22 Kyle Dohy (1-4, 7.00) – 0.2 IP, 0 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 0 K
- #23 Cornelius Randolph (.241) went 2-3 with a double, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- #24 Connor Seabold (1-3, 4.48) –
Lakewood (78-48) no game scheduled.
- #7 Jhailyn Ortiz (.224)
- #12 Daniel Brito (.252) promoted to Clearwater, August 3rd.
- #18 Kyle Young (3-3, 2.98) – placed on the 7-day DL on 7/15/18
- #19 Spencer Howard (8-8, 3.92) –
- #20 David Parkinson (8-1, 1.51) – promoted to Clearwater on 8/2/18
- #30 Nick Maton (.264)
Williamsport (26-37) beat State College, 6-1. Manuel Silva held the Spikes to 2 runs in six innings (just 1 ER). He gave up 4 hits and 3 walks, and struck out eight. Austin Ross struck out 4 in two innings. Oscar Marcelino put the game out of reach with a 4-run ninth.
The Crosscutters were held to 2 hits. Seth Lancaster doubled and scored on a ground out in the eighth inning. Keudy Bocio had the other hit.
Ben Pelletier and Keudy Bocio had outfield assists at second base.
- #2 Alec Bohm (.190) went 0-4
- #13 Francisco Morales (4-3, 5.52) – DNP
- #26 Kevin Gowdy – 60-day DL
- #29 Jhordany Mezquita (1-0, 3.60) – DNP.
- #29 Colton Eastman (0-2, 3.75) – DNP
DSL Phillies Red (29-39) beat the Angels, 6-0.
DSL Phillies White (38-31) beat the D-backs2, 10-0.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
The rosters and lists are up to date as of August 22nd.
8/11/18–Reading sent RHP Mario Sanchez on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies West.
8/11/18–Clearwater sent RHP JD Hammer on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies East.
8/11/18–Philadelphia sent C Wilson Ramos on a rehab assignment to Clearwater
8/10/18–Philadelphia activated SS J.P. Crawford from the 10-day disabled list.
8/10/18–Philadelphia designated RHP Jake Thompson for assignment.
8/10/18–Miami traded 1B Justin Bour and cash to Philadelphia for LHP McKenzie Mills.
8/10/18–RHP Harold Arauz assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
8/10/18–Reading activated 2B Emmanuel Marrero from the 7-day DL.
8/10/18–Williamsport sent 3B Alec Bohm on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies East.
8/9/18–Lehigh Valley placed CF Collin Cowgill on the 7-day DL. Left shin contusion.
8/9/18–Clearwater sent RHP JD Hammer on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies West