Lehigh Valley lost as Rhys Hoskins hit his 21st home run, Scott Kingery his fifth.
Reading won as Jose Taveras made his AA debut but didn’t figure in the decision.
Clearwater lost as Seranthony Dominguez made his long-awaited return.
Lakewood lost but Darick Hall picked up his league-leading 71st RBI.
Williamsport won, Connor Seabold notched his first professional win.
The GCL Phillies were postponed due to heavy morning rain.
Lehigh Valley (61-38) lost to Durhan, 5-3.
Mark Leiter (1-1, 4.88) gave up 3 runs on 3 hits (2 HR) and a walk in 5.0 innings. He struck out seven. Cesar Ramos (3.88) gave up 2 unearned runs on 1 hit and 1 walk in 2.0 innings. He struck out three. Edubray Ramos (1.69) pitched a perfect inning.
The IronPigs score single runs in the fifth, sixth, and eighth innings on Herlis Rodriguez’ RBI ground out, and solo home runs by Rhys Hoskins (21) and Scott Kingery’s (5).
New guy Matt Williams started in RF and had 2 doubles in 3 AB. Dylan Cozens had an outfield assist (second base).
Reading (54-42) beat Erie, 4-3.
Jose Taveras (5.06) made his AA debut. He pitched well until the sixth inning. His only blemish through the first five innings was a solo HR in the fifth. Back in the FSL, Taveras was susceptible to the long ball. He led the league with 13 home runs surrendered. Taveras pitched 5.1 innings and gave up 3 runs on 6 hits. He walked none, struck out two, and threw 72 pitches (52 strikes, 72.2%).
Shane Watson (4.43) stranded an inherited runner and pitched 1.1, 2-hit innings. Joe DeNato (1.09) struck out two in 1.1 innings and stranded an inherited runner. Alexis Rivero (4-2, 4.31) pitched 1.0 scoreless inning and was the beneficiary of the Phils walk off win.
Reading scored 3 runs in the third inning on Zack Coppola’s 2-run double and Carlos Tocci’s SF. The Phils didn’t score again until Cord Sandberg’s solo HR (1) with one out in the ninth.
Clearwater (51-45) lost to Bradenton, 6-4.
Seranthony Dominguez (3-1, 2.31) returned from rehab to suffer his first loss of the season. He pitched 3.1 innings and gave up 4 runs (only 2 were earned) on 2 hits and 4 walks. He struck out four. Matt Hockenberry (4.91) pitched 2.2 innings and gave up a walk and 2 hits, but held the Marauders off the board. He struck out two. Luke Leftwich (3.34) pitched the final 2.0 innings and gave up 3 runs on 4 hits that put the game out of reach in spite of two Threshers’ late rallies.
The Threshers scored two runs in the second inning on Zach Green’s 2-run HR (2) to take a 2-1 lead. The scored single runs in the eighth and ninth on Wilson Garcia’s RBI double and a wild pitch.
RF Jan Hernandez (.225) went 2-4, and Emmanuel Marrero (.263) also went 2-4. Mark Laird stole his 10th base.
The Marauders scored on a double steal, that included a Deivi Grullon throwing error, one of two Grullon made on steal attempts.
Dominguez left after a foul pop out to start the fourth. The 5-pitch at bat raised his pitch count to 77. I saw both of Dominguez rehab starts. He was throwing his DFB at 96-97, but did not have his normal command. I would have had him start another game in the GCL, but I surmise that he is healthy and the Phillies figured he may as well pitch through the rust against FSL batters. That makes more sense than my careful approach. I wasn’t at this game, but when I saw him, when he missed his FB was up and his off speed pitches were wide.
Lakewood (52-46) lost to Rome, 3-2.
Felix Paulino (2-7, 5.14) gave up 3 runs in 6.0 innings on 9 hits. He walked none and struck out four. Casey Brown (2.49) pitched 2.0 innings and allowed 3 hits, no walks, no strike outs. Brown also picked a runner off first base.
Two runs on just 5 hits for Lakewood. The Braves scored all 3 of their runs in the second inning. The BlueClaws could only get 2 of them back – one in the sixth on Arquimedes Gamboa’s SF, and one in the eighth on Darick Hall’s RBI single.
Williamsport (17-12) beat Batavia, 5-2.
Three of the 2017 college pitchers got their innings in today. #2 Spencer Howard (3.52) gave up an earned run on 3 hits and a walk in 3.0 innings. #3 Connor Seabold (1-0, 0.00) got his first professional win with 2.0, 2-hit innings, striking out 2 and walking none. Zach Warren (5.40) gave up 1 run in 2.0 innings and struck out two. #18 Damon Jones (3.86) picked up his second save with 2.0 scoreless innings and 4 strike outs.
The Crosscutters scored first with 2 runs in the second on Josh Stephen’s 2-out, RBI single and Brian Mims’ RBI single. They extended a 2-1 lead to three with 2 more runs in the fifth on Colby Fitch’s 2-run HR (2). And they tacked on an insurance run in the seventh on Adam Haseley’s RBI ground out.
Nick Maton (.297) went 2-5 with 2 runs scored. Colby Fitch (.500) went 2-4 with a run scored, HR (2), and 2 RBI. Jhailyn Ortiz (.286) went 2-4 with a run scored and 2 doubles. Josh Stephen (.260) went 1-4 with a run scored and RBI (15). He also stole a base (3). Brian Mims (.333) had the remaining hit, going 1-4 with an RBI.
GCL Phillies (11-9) postponed, rain.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
- 7/21 – Phillies optioned Brock Stassi to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 7/21 – Phillies activated LF Howie Kendrick from the 10-day disabled list
- 7/21 – RHP Seranthony Dominguez assigned to Clearwater Threshers
- 7/20 – Phillies sent OF Howie Kendrick on a rehab assignment to Reading Fightin Phils
- 7/20 – Jose Taveras assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Clearwater Threshers
- 7/20 – Reading Fightin Phils placed RHP Miguel Nunez on the 7-day disabled list. Strained right shoulder
- 7/20 – Reading Fightin Phils placed SS Jorge Flores on the temporarily inactive list
- 7/20 – Gustavo Armas assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 7/20 – SS Dalton Guthrie assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters
- 7/20 – 3B D.J. Stewart assigned to GCL Phillies
- 7/19 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs released OF Osmel Aguila
- 7/19 – SS Matt Williams assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 7/17 – Phillies signed free agent SS Matt Williams to a minor league contract
- 7/19 – RHP Alex Garcia assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from GCL Phillies
- 7/18 – Phillies activated RHP Vince Velasquez from the 10-day disabled list
- 7/18 – Phillies optioned RHP Mark Leiter to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 7/18 – 3B Harold Martinez assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Fightin Phils
- 7/18 – SS Jorge Flores assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 7/17 – Phillies activated 2B Cesar Hernandez from the 10-day disabled list.
- 7/17 – Phillies placed RF Aaron Altherr on the 10-day disabled list retroactive to July 15, 2017. Strained right hamstring.
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.