Lehigh Valley powered past Scranton on J.P. Crawford’s sixth HR.
Reading saw their winning streak end at one
Clearwater wasted another fine pitching effort by Jose Taveras, one run in 7 innings.
Lakewood won via shut out behind Nick Fanti’s seven 3-hit innings.
Williamsport mashed 16 hits including HRs by Stobbe (5) and Listi (1) en route to victory.
Lehigh Valley (55-35) beat Scranton, 5-2.
Zach Eflin went 4.1 innings and gave up 2 runs on 5 hits. He walked none and struck out five. He threw 76 pitches. He left with 2 runners on base and Edubray Ramos stranded both runners. Ramos (1-0, 2.70) earned his first victory by retiring the five batters he faced. Jesen Therrien (1.66) struck out 2 in 2.0 innings. And, Pedro Beato (3.20) got his 25th save.
J.P. Crawford erased an early 2-run deficit with a 2-run HR in the fourth inning. The IronPigs went on to score 3 more runs on Logan Moore’s ground outand Jorge Flores’ 2-run single. IronPigs’ batters struck out 11 times. Crawford haters can take solace in the fact that he struck out 3 times.
With Rhys Hoskins and Scott Kingery in Miami for the Futures Game, Lehigh scored 5 runs on 4 hits and 2 walks. They went 1-5 with RISP, and had an LOB of one.
Reading (51-36) lost to Portland, 3-2.
Tommy Bergjans (1-2, 6.04) gave up 2 runs on 3 hits and 2 walks in five innings. But that was 2 runs too many with Readings recently depleted offense. Miguel Nunez (3.71) gave up a run in his one inning. Shane Watson (4.78) and Yacksel Rios each pitched a scoreless inning.
The Phils impotent offense managed 7 singles. Zack Coppola and Malquin Canelo had 2 hits each. Carlos Tocci and Nick Rickles each drove in a run. Mitch Walding was hit by a pitch. (More on that further down.) The Phils drew 5 walks, but went 1-10 with RISP.
Clearwater (46-40) lost to Dunedin, 2-1.
Jose Taveras (2.37) pitched seven, one-run innings. He gave up 6 hits and a walk. He struck out nine. Harold Arauz (3-1, 1.09) struck out 2 in 1.2 innings but gave up the winning run in the bottom of the ninth.
The Threshers scored a run in the first inning when Mark Laird who led off with a triple scored on Wilson Garcia’s ground out. But that would be it. They went 0-8 with RISP.
Cornelius Randolph, who is up to .245, went 1-3 with a walk. His 40 walks in 318 PA (12.6%) have his OBP over 100 points better that his batting average at .346.
Lakewood (48-40) beat Greensboro, 4-0.
Nick Fanti (6-2, 2.80) responded to sentiment that the league had figured him out with 7.0, 3-hit innings against a team that scored 5 runs off him 2 weeks ago. Guess they forgot what they had figured out. Fanti walked none and struck out eight.
Jake Kelzer walked one and struck out three in 2.0 scoreless innings.
“Moniak haters should skip to the Williamsport recap”
Mickey Moniak (.270) went 2-4 with his fourth HR and 2 RBI (31). I guess “haters” who read this anyway can revel in the fact that he struck out once.
Darick Hall, the SAL leader in HR and RBI was hit by a pitched ball twice. No Grasshoppers were hit during the playing of this game.
The BlueClaws score twice in the first inning on RBI singles by Henri Lartigue and David Martinelli. They score two runs again in the third on Moniak’s 2-run HR (4).
Williamsport (11-9) beat Mahoning Valley, 8-7.
Will Stewart (2-1, 3.79) survived a 2-walk, 3-hit, 3-run first inning to record the win. He held the Scrappers to 2 hits over the next 4.0 innings. He struck out five. Randy Alcantara (2.57) allowed a walk in 2.0 innings. Luis Ramirez (1.74) followed with 2 strike outs in 1.0 inning and an unearned run.
Kyle Dohy entered to pitch the final inning. With an 8-4 lead, he hit the first batter. I don’t know if it was intentional, but Scrappers pitchers had already hit Cole Stobbe, Jhailyn Ortiz (who had homered on Friday and had 3 RBI on Saturday), and Colby Fitch. Kyle gave up 3 runs in the inning and was in danger of blowing the lead. But, I’m willing to give him a pass since 28 Crosscutters batters have been drilled this season (far and away a league leading total) and only 12 of our opponents have been hit. I personally don’t advocate retaliation, but it’s part of the unwritten rules. If Dohy hit the batter intentionally, then good for him. It looks like the batter was injured on the play. But until baseball does something to reign in pitchers who hit batters, “It’s all part of it”. #part-part
The Crosscutters had 16 hits. Only Jhailyn Ortiz didn’t have one, and he reached base twice on a walk and HBP. Austin Listi had 4 hits including his first HR. Jake Scheiner and Malvin Matos had 3 hits each. Nick Maton had two.
After falling behind in the top of the first, Williamsport got one back when Stobbe was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and 2 outs. They took the lead in the fourth on a SF by Colby Fitch, And Austin Listi’s 2-run HR (1).
The Crosscutters scored 2 more in the fifth on Stobbe’s solo HR and Matos RBI double. They tacked on 2 more important runs in the seventh on Listi’s RBI double and Matos RBI double.
Listi had 3 RBI, Stobbe and Matos had 2 RBI each. Ortiz stole his third base. Matos had an outfield assist (second base). Adam Haseley (.395) went 1-5.
GCL Phillies (7-4) no games scheduled on Sundays.
I’m going to forgo reading the Comments in the Recap and Open discussion for a while. If any one wants to contact me with questions or wants to call an error to my attention, please e-mail me. Put something in the subject line that will induce me to open the e-mail, I routinely delete e-mail from correspondents that I don’t recognize, especially the ones with the “spammy” subject lines.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Transactions (and paper moves):
- 7/10 – Phillies activated RHP Jerad Eickhoff from the 10-day disabled list.
- 7/10 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs activated RHP Zach Eflin from the 7-day disabled list.
- 7/9 – Phillies optioned Ben Lively to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 7/8 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs placed 1B Rhys Hoskins on the temporarily inactive list
- 7/8 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs placed 2B Scott Kingery on the temporarily inactive list
- 7/7 – DSL Phillies Red placed LHP Yefferson Mercedes on the 7-day disabled list
- 7/7 – DSL Phillies Red activated LHP Luis Suarez
- 7/6 – Phillies sent RHP Vince Velasquez on a rehab assignment to Reading.
- 7/5 – Phillies signed RHP Connor Seabold.
- 7/5 – Phillies signed LHP Damon Jones.
- 7/5 – Phillies signed LHP Kyle Dohy.
- 7/5 – Phillies signed LHP David Parkinson.
- 7/5 – Clearwater sent 3B Damek Tomscha on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies
- 7/5 – Lakewood BlueClaws placed 3B Jack Zoellner on the 7-day disabled list.
- 7/5 – RHP Jake Kelzer assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport.
- 7/5 – RHP Spencer Howard assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/5 – RHP Connor Seabold assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/5 – LHP David Parkinson assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/5 – LHP Damon Jones assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/5 – LHP Kyle Dohy assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters
- 7/4 – Phillies sent RHP Jerad Eickhoff on a rehab assignment to Reading Phils.
- 7/4 – Phillies signed RHP Alex Garcia.
- 7/4 – Phillies signed SS Jake Holmes.
- 7/4 – Phillies signed 1B Quincy Nieporte.
- 7/4 – 3B Harold Martinez assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Phils.
- 7/4 – RF Herlis Rodriguez assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Phils.
- 7/4 – Alberto Tirado assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Clearwater Threshers.
- 7/4 – Cord Sandberg assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Clearwater Threshers.
- 7/4 – Ranger Suarez assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 7/4 – Carlos Duran assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 7/4 – Jose Antequera assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 7/4 – Lakewood BlueClaws released LF Enmanuel Garcia.
- 7/4 – SS Raul Rivas assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/4 – 3B Jack Zoellner assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 7/4 – RF Juan Luis assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/4 – RF Jesus Alastre assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/4 – Luis Encarnacion assigned to Williamsport from Clearwater Threshers.
- 7/4 – Kevin Gowdy assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from GCL Phillies.
- 7/4 – IF Jesus Azuaje assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from GCL Phillies.
- 7/4 – C Colby Fitch assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/4 – RHP Alex Garcia assigned to GCL Phillies.
- 7/4 – 1B Quincy Nieporte assigned to GCL Phillies.
- 7/4 – SS Jake Holmes assigned to GCL Phillies.
- 7/3 – Clearwater placed 2B Derek Campbell on the 7-day DL retroactive to 6/30/17
- 7/3 – Phillies traded IF James Lovett to Seattle
- 7/3 – Clearwater Threshers activated SS Zach Green from the 7-day DL
- 7/3 – Clearwater placed 2B Derek Campbell on the 7-day DL retroactive to 6/30/17
- 7/2 – Phillies signed free agent RHP Alejandro Made to a minor league contract.
- 7/2 – Phillies signed free agent SS Luis Garcia to a minor league contract
- 7/2 – Phillies traded RHP Tyler Frohwirth to Miami
- 7/1 – Phillies sent RHP Vince Velasquez on a rehab assignment to Lehigh Valley
- 7/1 – Addison Russ assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.