Lehigh Valley won – pitching by Leibrandt, offense by Cozens and Rodriguez.
Reading dropped a double header.
Clearwater lost by ten.
Lakewood wasted a nice start by Llovera.
Williamsport got a great start from Kyle Young and HR by Haseley (1) and Ortiz.
The GCL Phillies won, Mezquita made his debut and Pelletier hit his first HR.
Lehigh Valley (54-34) beat Scranton, 4-1.
Brandon Leibrandt (2-0, 2.12) gave up a solo HR in six, 1-hit innings. He walked none and struck out six. Jesen Therrien struck out 2 in two innings and Pedro Beato notched his 24th save.
Dylan Cozens (.242) hit 2 solo HR (21), scored 3 runs, walked once and had 2 RBI (56). Herlis Rodriguez (.273) hit his first AAA home run. Hector Gomez (.253) had 2 hits and an RBI.
Reading (50-35) lost both games of a double header against Portland, 7-1 and 9-6.
John Richy (1-3, 7.16) gave up 5 runs in four innings in game one on 8 hits and 4 walks. Alberto Tirado (6.00) gave up 2 runs in two innings on 5 hits and a walk. The Phils had 3 hits, all doubles by Tocci, Tromp, and Numata who also had their lone RBI.
In game two, Alexis Rivero (3-2, 4.38( gave up 7 runs on 6 hits and 2 walks in 2.1 innings. Austin Davis pitched 1.2 scoreless innings, and Tom Windle gave up 2 runs in two innings.
Every Phil had a hit, Tromp had two. Kyle Martin hit a 3-run HR (16). Sandberg and Stankiewicz each had an RBI.
Clearwater (45-39) lost to Dunedin, 12-2.
Franklyn Kilome (4-4, 2.76) pitched six innings and gave up 3 runs on 8 hits and 2 walks. He only struck out 3 and threw 85 pitches. And that’s about all the good that happened last night. You may notice that the Blue Jays’ reliever got a two-inning save in a 12-2 win. That’s because the bullpen turned a tight 3-2 game into a rout. Blake Quinn gave up 2 runs on 2 hits and 2 walks in one inning. Matt Hockenberry traded 6 runs for one out, Luke Leftwich gave up a run on hit and a walk in 0.2 innings.
Kilome wasn’t as sharp as he has been. He pitched behind a little, throwing 16 of 26 first pitch strikes (61.5%). He ran five, 3-ball counts. He only got 2 swings-and-misses in his first five innings (64 pitches). They came back-to-back on hiis only strike out in those innings. He did get 4 S&M in the sixth, and his other 2 K. His Fb sat 94-96 on the stadium gun, touching 97 MPH once. His change and slider were slower than usual (tonight 80-84, usually 84-86) and some of them ended in the dirt. His curve looked good he got a couple misses and a couple called strikes with it.
Wilson Garcia, Emmanuel Marrero, and Jay Hernandez had 2 hits each. Garcia and Hernandez had the RBIs. Randolph had 2 walks.
Their base running was suspect. Their fielding was atrocious. How they were charged with only 2 errors is beyond me. Grullon’s pickoff is a joke. He missed a pitch in the dirt that would have been a wild pitch except that it bounded up the third base line in foul territory. The runner on second returned to base and the runner on first got hung up. He had trouble with a lot of pitches that were in the dirt. He missed a low and away fastball outright that was ruled a wild pitch. I had to change my passed ball ruling on my score sheet. Not a fun game to watch. Thank god that Vlad and Beau aren’t here yet.
Lakewood (46-40) lost to Greensboro, 8-5.
Mauricio Llovera (2.11) pitched five innings and gave up 1 run on 3 hits and 2 walks. He struck out seven. It got ugly after that as Hallead and Hennigan gave up 7 runs on 7 hits and 2 walks in 3.0 innings. Hennigan blew his third save and took the loss.
Darick Hall hit his 16th HR and had 3 RBI (66). Juan Luis hit his 2nd HR and an outfield assist. Edgar Cabral had 2 hits. Mickey Moniak (.268) went 1-4 with a walk.
Williamsport (9-9) beat Mahoning Valley, 7-3.
Kyle Young. That’s all, Kyle Young. He pitched five innings and gave up one hit and no walks. He struck out a career high 11 batters. He raised his record to 3-0- and has an ERA of 1.47. Young was limited to 66 pitches and threw 47 strikes (71.2%).
David Parkinson, Kyle Dohy, and Damon Jones made their pro debuts. Parkinson and Jones gave up a run in their first appearances. Dohy struck out 2 in a 1-2-3 inning. Zach Warren gave up a run in the ninth.
Adam Hasely (.467) went 3-4 with a HR (1) and 2 RBI. Josh Stephen (.273) had 2 doubles. Jhailyn Ortiz (.292) went 2-4 with a HR (3), 2 RBI, and SB (2). Luis Encarnacion got onto the field for the second time this season and committed his second error.
GCL Phillies (7-4) beat the GCL Tigers East, 4-3.
Jhordany Mezquita made his debut and walked 2 in two hitless innings. He struck out three. Victor Sobil gave up 3 runs (1 ER) in three innings on 4 hits and 3 walks. He struck out five. Robinson Martinez and Rafael Carvajal pitched 2 scoreless innings each. Carvajal got the win.
Ben Pelletier (.265) went 3-3 with a HR (1), 3 RBI, and a walk. He had an RBI single in the first inning and a 2-run HR in the fourth. Jonathan Guzman (.314) went 2-5. The Phillies scored the go ahead run in the top of the ninth on a couple errors. Guzman also committed a couple errors.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Transactions (and paper moves):
- 7/7 – DSL Phillies Red placed LHP Yefferson Mercedes on the 7-day disabled list
- 7/7 – DSL Phillies Red activated LHP Luis Suarez
- 7/6 – Phillies sent RHP Vince Velasquez on a rehab assignment to Reading.
- 7/5 – Phillies signed RHP Connor Seabold.
- 7/5 – Phillies signed LHP Damon Jones.
- 7/5 – Phillies signed LHP Kyle Dohy.
- 7/5 – Phillies signed LHP David Parkinson.
- 7/5 – Clearwater sent 3B Damek Tomscha on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies
- 7/5 – Lakewood BlueClaws placed 3B Jack Zoellner on the 7-day disabled list.
- 7/5 – RHP Jake Kelzer assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport.
- 7/5 – RHP Spencer Howard assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/5 – RHP Connor Seabold assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/5 – LHP David Parkinson assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/5 – LHP Damon Jones assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/5 – LHP Kyle Dohy assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters
- 7/4 – Phillies sent RHP Jerad Eickhoff on a rehab assignment to Reading Phils.
- 7/4 – Phillies signed RHP Alex Garcia.
- 7/4 – Phillies signed SS Jake Holmes.
- 7/4 – Phillies signed 1B Quincy Nieporte.
- 7/4 – 3B Harold Martinez assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Phils.
- 7/4 – RF Herlis Rodriguez assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Phils.
- 7/4 – Alberto Tirado assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Clearwater Threshers.
- 7/4 – Cord Sandberg assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Clearwater Threshers.
- 7/4 – Ranger Suarez assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 7/4 – Carlos Duran assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 7/4 – Jose Antequera assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 7/4 – Lakewood BlueClaws released LF Enmanuel Garcia.
- 7/4 – SS Raul Rivas assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/4 – 3B Jack Zoellner assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 7/4 – RF Juan Luis assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/4 – RF Jesus Alastre assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/4 – Luis Encarnacion assigned to Williamsport from Clearwater Threshers.
- 7/4 – Kevin Gowdy assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from GCL Phillies.
- 7/4 – IF Jesus Azuaje assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from GCL Phillies.
- 7/4 – C Colby Fitch assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 7/4 – RHP Alex Garcia assigned to GCL Phillies.
- 7/4 – 1B Quincy Nieporte assigned to GCL Phillies.
- 7/4 – SS Jake Holmes assigned to GCL Phillies.
- 7/3 – Clearwater placed 2B Derek Campbell on the 7-day DL retroactive to 6/30/17
- 7/3 – Phillies traded IF James Lovett to Seattle
- 7/3 – Clearwater Threshers activated SS Zach Green from the 7-day DL
- 7/3 – Clearwater placed 2B Derek Campbell on the 7-day DL retroactive to 6/30/17
- 7/2 – Phillies signed free agent RHP Alejandro Made to a minor league contract.
- 7/2 – Phillies signed free agent SS Luis Garcia to a minor league contract
- 7/2 – Phillies traded RHP Tyler Frohwirth to Miami
- 7/1 – Phillies sent RHP Vince Velasquez on a rehab assignment to Lehigh Valley
- 7/1 – Addison Russ assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.