Tuesday night the Threshers played a scrimmage game against a team comprised of players in the XST camp. Threshers’ pitchers started for both teams – Tyler Viza for the Threshers and Will Morris for XST. The game was a little one sided as the Threshers scored 5 runs in the second inning and went on to win 7-0.
The XST players managed 7 hits off the Threshers, 5 off starter Viza but weren’t able to produce a run. They struck out 11 times. The Threshers pitchers posted the following, note that team lines are a little blurred on the mound –
- IP H R ER BB K
- Viza – 3.0 5 0 0 1 3
- Garcia – 2.0 1 0 0 0 3
- Casimiro – 1.0 1 0 0 0 2
- Milner – 1.0 0 0 0 0 2
- Indriago – 2.0 0 0 0 0 1, 1 HBP
- 9.0 7 0 0 0 11, 1 HBP
The Threshers hitters scored early as the XST pitchers posted the following –
- IP H R ER BB K
- Morris – 2.2 7 5 5 1 0
- Medina – 3.0 2 2 1 0 1
- Suarez – 2.0 1 0 0 0 2
- Singer – 1.0 0 0 0 0 1
- 8.2 7 0 0 0 4
Kirsten Karbach provides short descriptions of the players who make up the Threshers’ roster in an article on the Threshers’ web site.
The Threshers did most of their damage in a 5-run second. Pullin lined a leadoff single to RF. Green flied out and Walding lined a single to right. RF Jhailyn Ortiz unleashed a strong throw to third that sailed into the dugout. Sandberg grounded out sharply to first. Drew Stankiewicz homered onto the RF berm. Canelo beat out a bunt for a single and stole second. He scored from second when Kingery beat out an RBI, infield single. Inning rolled.
The Threshers got 2 more runs in the fourth when Walding doubled to center. He scored on a throwing error by Luke Williams on a Lino ground ball. Lino moved to third on a long fly out by Sandberg and scored on a ground out by Stankiewicz.
The Threshers Starters were –
- Green and Stankiewicz were DH
- Numata and H. Rodriguez comprised the bench
- Kingery 1-5, RBI
- Tocci 1-3, 2B
- Martin 0-4
- Pullin 1-4, R
- Walding 3-3, 2 R, 2B, 3B
- Lino 1-3, 2 R, RBI
- Stankiewicz 2-4 R, 3 RBI, HR
- Ortiz 1-4, 3 K swinging
- Hiciano 2-3
- Gregori Rivero 1-2, 2B
- Gamboa 0-3, DP, 2 K looking
- Pullin made a nice sliding catch in left.
- Hoskins robbed Edwin Rodriguez on a line drive to his left.
- Kingery and Stankiewicz combined on a double play that started with a bobble by Kingery, accurate flip to Stankiewicz, barehanded and thrown to first for an inning double play. I thought Alastre beat the relay. The umpire didn’t.
The Threshers haven’t announced their starters for the season opener Thursday in Dunedin or the home opener on Friday. I’m guessing Imhof and Eshelman.
Recent Transactions –
- 2015, 32nd round draft pick, Reggie Wilson was released without ever being assigned to a roster.
- Ernesto Frieri was released by LHV
- Reinier Roibal was assigned from REA to LHV
- Jeremy Bleich was assigned from XST to REA
High School Report –
Riley Pint reportedly 95-97, T99 in first inning against Blue Valley SW. According to multiple scouts’ radar guns Riley Pint hit 99 mph at least 3 times in the first inning. Pint struck out the side in the second inning. Of 19 pitches in 2nd, only 4 were under 95 mph.
Jason Groome pitched in front of Matt Klentak, Joe Jordan and a scouting director (Johnny Almarez, Mike Ondo, Gordon Lackey?). He was on a 60-pitch limit and lasted one batter into the fifth inning who reached when hit by Groome’s 59th and last pitch for the day. Groome’s line 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 10 K, 1 HBP. His FB was 91-93, CB 75-78 with bite. Afterwards, he commented that he didn’t throw many change ups.
- Groome walked a batter in the first,
- struck out the side in the second on 12 pitches,
- allowed a soft single to the right side in the third,
- and struck out the side in the 4th on 10 pitches (56 total at this point).