A source of mine was able to recently see a Williamsport series, and he passed along some tidbits on a few of our prospects, so I figured I would share it here. Just a note, the radar readings come from a legit radar gun.
* He thought Aaron Altherr was the best player on the field, noting his athleticism and also his plate coverage.
* Kyrell Hudson was also praised for his athleticism, but he often made mental errors, such as throwing to the wrong base, and it appears to be a persistent issue.
* Harold Martinez is very aggressive at the plate. (note from me. This is an interesting observation, because he’s drawn his share of walks)
* Asche has great control of the strikezone, and this person had seen him before this season and praised him for his approach at the plate.
* Kelly Dugan can crush a mistake, but wasn’t handling the quality offerings quite as well.
* Austin Wright got a fairly nice mention. The gun had him at 90-91 consistently.
* Kleven was throwing 95 in his first inning, then settled in at 91-93.
* Bryan Morgado was consistently 92-93 and very impressive.
* Jesus Pirela was throwing 92-94 but with very little idea where the ball was going.
There ya go. Positive news for the Altherr fans here, and we can only hope Morgado can finish strong and then hop on the fast track.