The Phillies went 4-2 last week. They won 3-game series from the Cardinals and Royals. Perhaps one concerning factor is that they have lost the first game in seven of their last eight series. “You can’t sweep a series if you don’t win the first game”, Danny Ozark, I think. Or, maybe Larry Andersen.
Among their 4 wins were –
- Aaron Nola’s best effort of the season following the series opening loss to the Cardinals. He pitched six, 3-hit innings allowing one run. Over his last 3 games, Nola went 18.1 innings, allowed 3 runs, walked five, and struck out seventeen. After a sluggish start, he has a 3-0 record with a 4.57 ERA.
- The next night Jerad Eickhoff had one of his best games in an eight inning, three-hit outing. Over a three game stretch, he pitched 20 innings, allowed one run, walked seven, and struck out seventeen. He has a 2-1 record with a 1.50 ERA.
- After an series opening loss to the Royals, Zach Eflin tossed a complete game shutout against the Royals, his third consecutive win and second shutout of the season. In that stretch, he pitched 25 innings, allowed 2 runs, walked two and struck out fifteen. He has a 5-3 record with a 2.47 ERA.
- And finally, Cole Irvin who pitched seven innings of one-run ball in his MLB debut. He gave up 5 hits and a walk while striking out five. He is 1-0 with a 1.29 ERA.
I don’t suggest that the Phillies’ starting pitching questions are answered. But, they have sure received some really good pitching of late. I, for one, am glad that that the Phillies didn’t listen to those of you who wanted to trade Zach Eflin.
Now, they’ve got a tough 4-game series against the Brewers and a weekend series v. the Rockies.
Regarding the Rhys Hoskins discussion last week. Hoskins was offered a long term contract around the time Kingery was. His agent, Scott Boras, turned it down. I do not recall if the details were released. No matter. Hoskins is under under team control for 2019, 2020, then his arbitration years run 2021, 2022, 2023 (his age 30 season). The Phillies will have already gleaned his best seasons by that time. The Phillies are under no obligation to throw money away on a player who will more than likely have to compete against other first basemen in what has become a very fungible position anymore. Boras doesn’t often negotiate away free agent years. He may have blundered with Hoskins, who will still get paid although it will come through arbitration and not through a long term contract unless Boras changes tactics.
The 40-man roster stands at 40, the entire organization stands at 349.
This is the Phuture Phillies Open Discussion for Phillies and other baseball topics. Still don’t want to hear about any mythical Trout trades.
- June 2, 2019 – DSL Phillies Red begins its 2019 season
- June 2, 2019 – DSL Phillies White begins its 2019 season
- June 3-5, 2019 – 2019 Rule 4 Draft
- June 14, 2019 – Williamsport begins its 2019 season
- June 24, 2019 – GCL Phillies East begins its 2019 season
- June 24, 2019 – GCL Phillies West begins its 2019 season
- July 31, 2019 – Non-waiver trade deadline
- September 1, 2019 – Roster expansion to 40 players (for the last time)
- September 17, 2019 – beginning of the Arizona Fall League
- October 12, 2019 – Arizona Fall Stars Game
- October 27, 2019 – Arizona Fall League Championship Game
The rosters and lists are up to date.
- organization’s rosters
- organization’s injury list
- organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list (includes player info, assignments, …)
5/11/2019 – San Francisco claimed CF Aaron Altherr off waivers from Phillies
5/11/2019 – Phillies recalled LHP Austin Davis from Lehigh Valley
5/11/2019 – Luis Cedeno assigned to Williamsport from Clearwater
5/11/2019 – Luis Ramirez assigned to Clearwater from Williamsport
5/11/2019 – Tom Windle assigned to Lehigh Valley from Williamsport
5/10/2019 – RHP Oswald Medina assigned to DSL Red
5/9/2019 – RHP Connor Brogdon assigned to Reading from Clearwater
5/9/2019 – LHP Tom Windle assigned to Williamsport from Lehigh Valley
5/9/2019 – RHP Alexis Rivero assigned to Lehigh Valley from Williamsport
5/9/2019 – RHP Luis Cedeno assigned to Clearwater from Williamsport
5/9/2019 – RHP Dalvin Rosario assigned to Williamsport from DSL White
5/9/2019 – OF Jose Cedeno assigned to GCL East from DSL White
5/9/2019 – RHP Nicoly Pina assigned to GCL West from DSL Red
5/9/2019 – Phillies signed IFA RHP Oswald Medina
5/8/2019 – RHP Luis Carrasco assigned to Williamsport from Clearwater
5/8/2019 – RHP Andrew Brown assigned to Clearwater from Williamsport
5/8/2019 – RHP Austin Ross assigned to Clearwater from Williamsport
5/8/2019 – RHP Kyle Glogoski assigned to Williamsport from Lakewood
5/8/2019 – LHP Ethan Lindow assigned to Williamsport from Lakewood
5/8/2019 – RHP Benjamin Brown assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
5/8/2019 – RHP Tyler McKay assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
5/8/2019 – RHP Alexis Araujo assigned to GCL East from DSL Red
5/8/2019 – LF Jimmy Smith assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
5/7/2019 – OF Ben Aklinski assigned to Clearwater from Williamsport
5/6/2019 – Phillies recalled RHP Edgar Garcia from Lehigh Valley