Spring training is grinding to its conclusion. The Phillies blew a 9th inning lead against Baltimore at CBP and the minor leaguers played their last games at the Complex and in Dunedin. Saturday, the second Futures Game, the final game before the start of regular season games, will be played at CBP.
The minor league camp will have practice and maybe a couple intrasquad games before camp breaks Saturday and the players head for the airport for Lakewood, Reading, and Lehigh Valley. The Threshers will cross the Complex fields and take up residence in Bright House Field.
About 60 players will remain in Clearwater for Extended Spring Training (XST). Tuesday another 20 players will arrive from the Dominican Academy to join the players at the Carpenter Complex.
After camp days on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, XST games begin on Monday, April 11th. For the next 9 weeks, weekday games are scheduled at 1:00PM, 10:00AM on Saturdays. Wednesdays are camp days, and Sundays are off days. According to the schedule, the Blue Jays are looking for games on Wednesdays, so maybe some more games make it onto the schedule.
The new minor league rosters were available at the Complex. They are current as of March 31st. However, they are subject to change. Each team has more than their allotted number of active players, and there are still a couple more decisions to be made at the major league level. We can also expect a bunch of players to go on the 15- and 60- day Disabled Lists (DL) from the Phillies roster and the 7-day DL in the minors. Still, even with recent transactions, Cody Forsythe, Calvin Rayburn, and Reggie Wilson are unaccounted for. (Update: the Phillies announced transactions after Friday’s game that indicate that the document I received and circulated via twitter this afternoon was accurate. All changes on the worksheet are correct as of 4/1/2016.)
I have updated the rosters with this most recent information here.
I watched Group 3 play for a while before drifting over to the Group 4 game to watch Bailey Falter pitch.
Team 3: cf – Zach Coppola, ss-Drew Stankiewicz, 2b – Josh Tobias, dh – Kyle Martin, c – Deivy Grullon, lf – Cornelius Randolph, 3b – Luke Williams, 1b – Damek Tomscha, rf – Carlos Duran, dh – Wilson Garcia. Venn Biter, Grenny Cumana, and Austin Bossart on the bench.Shane Watson started.
Team 4: cf – Enmanuel Garcia, c – Gregori Rivero, dh – Luis Encarnacion, 1b – Brendon Hayden, rf – Jhailyn Ortiz, 3b – Jan Hernandez, ss – Emmanuel Marrero, 2b – Daniel Brito, dh – Edwin Rodriguez, lf – Jesus Alastre. Luis Espiritu and Rodolfo Duran on the bench. Tyler Gilbert started.
- Josh Tobias ripped a ground double over the first base bag in his first at bat
- “C” Randolph lined a lead off single to center on a 2-1 pitch.
- Randolph missed a fly ball that became a double. It appeared he may have lost it in the sun. He was looking directly into it and others had similar difficulties through out the game.
- Watson followed the Randolph play with a HBP and a HR.
- Watson didn’t look to be particularly sharp. He was hit pretty hard. Even the outs.
- Some of the people I stood with thought I should add the word “again” to the above.
- Gandy Stubblefield replaced Watson and got hit around a little for the first time I saw this spring.
- In his second at bat, Randolph flared a double down the left field line.
- Duran grounded an RBI single to center.
- Wilson Garcia followed with a hard ground single to center.
- Alberto Tirado came on and struck out 3 batters – 2 looking on a FB and a CB, and one swinging at a FB. They weren’t recording velocity on this field, so no velo on Tirado.
- Over with Team 4, Bailey Falter was called in with runners on first and second with 2 outs. He retired the batter on one pitch. He followed that with a strong inning, allowing one base runner, throwing at 89 mph on the one reading we saw, and ended the inning with a backward K on what looked like a beautiful slider.
Falter retired this batter on one pitch with 2 inherited runners. The fielder’s choice was induced against a right-handed batter.
A few more transactions:
- 3/31 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs released LHP Edgar Ibarra.
- 3/31 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs released RHP Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez.
- 3/31 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs released RHP Greg Burke.
- 3/31 – Lakewood BlueClaws released LF Chase Harris.
- 3/31 – The Phillies reportedly released Ken Roberts.
I’ll be on hiatus for a while. I’ll see that the Draft and Open discussions post over the next couple days. I can schedule them to publish, but the content will be scaled back. I hope to retrurn when the Threshers season begins. See you later.