Adonis Medina was selected the Readers’ Poll 17th prospect. He received 165 of 380 votes (43%). He was a runaway victor over second-place finisher Jimmy Cordero.
The Phillies signed Medina to a minor league contract as an international free agent on May 29, 2014 at the age of 17.
Medina pitched in the Dominican Summer League his first season. In 26.1 innings, he posted a 1.37 ERA, 1.4 BB/9, and 7.5 K/9. He was invited to Instructs and pitched in three intrasquad games. His FB was upper 80s, T90.
Last season, Medina pitched in the GCL. He had 8 starts and pitched 45.1 innings in 10 appearances. His ERA rose to 2.94, his BB/9 was 2.4, and his K/9 was 6.9. He got his FB into the low 90s, T94. He also throws a change and curve.
Top 30 so far:
- N. Williams
- “C” Randolph
The next group added to the poll will come from among the following e-mail requests, write-ins, and my discretion. They are –
- Fanti, Martin, and Moore based on recurrent write-in votes
- Encarnacion, Tobias, Rios, Gonzalez, Pujols, Arano, and Leiter based on e-mail requests
- Paulino, Laird, DeNato, Joaquin, Rivero, Valentin, Bossart, and L. Williams based on performance
- Pullin, Perkins, Falter, Forsythe, Luis, Mora, Munoz, Pickett, Tasin, Therrien, Lino, Hockenberry, and Stassi just because
- Pointer for a friend
- Walding to reward Sandy-Oh’s persistence.
The next 5 will likely come from among those in bold font. Pujols will probably make the cut, but I personally don’t think he is among the top 5 of those I’m considering. It’s also hard to justify back up catchers, right-handed first basemen, middle relievers, and low level closers. In addition to a possible Pujols, I’m leaning towards 4 or 5 from among Tobias, Rios, Arano, Paulino, Laird, DeNato, Rivero, Valentin, L. Williams, Pullin, Mora, and maybe Stassi. I like Paulino, Williams, Valentin, and DeNato.
Next up is your selection for #18.