The biggest news today will probably be C Jorge Alfaro made his first appearance since joining the Phillies organization as a key piece of the Colbert Hamels trade. Alfaro hadn’t played since June 12th when he was lifted for a pinch runner and limped from the field. He was diagnosed with a “significant left ankle injury” and the Rangers were resigned to his being “out for some meaningful time”, possibly the rest of the season.
Last week I saw Alfaro take Stephen Inch yard during a simulated rehab inning. The catcher with a massive upper body had been at the Carpenter Complex working out and was nearing a return to action. Thursday, he made his return. Alfaro started at catcher and played the position for three innings. He gunned down the only batter to reach, while he was in the game ,on an attempted steal.
Alfaro came to bat three times and was hit by a pitched ball in his first two plate appearances. He lined a single to right field in his third at bat and Jose Antequera was thrown out trying to score for the third out. Alfaro left the game the next half inning.
GCL Phillies (35-23) beat the GCL Pirates 5-0. Miguel Gonzalez threw four innings. He faced Two batters over the minimum allowing a single, hit batter, and walk. One base runner had been cut down stealing. He struck out four. He has been pretty dominant pitching in the Rookie League. Based on how he has been used so far, his next appearance will be in 4-5 days, but at a higher level.
Lino Martinez, making his third rehab appearance, pitched two shutout innings for the win. Edgar Garcia picked up his second save with three shutout innings.
The Phillies broke the scoreless deadlock in the fourth inning on Scott Tomassetti’s first professional home run, a three-run blast to left. They added two runs in the seventh on “C” Randolph’s RBI triple and Luis Encarnacion’s sac fly.
- Jorge Alfaro went 1-1 and was hit by two pitched balls.
- “C” Randolph (.302) went 2-4 with a run scored, triple, walk, and RBI..
- Lucas Williams (.279) went 2-4 with a run scored and HBP.
- Scott Tomassetti (.262) went 2-5 with a run scored, HR (1), and 3 RBI.
- Greg Pickett (.179) went 1-3 with 2 walks.
- Juan Luis (.256) went 2-3 with a run scored, triple, and HBP..
- Luis stole his 12th base. Randolph was caught stealing.
- Tim Kennelly’s brother Sam is on the Pirates team.
Lehigh Valley (60-73) split two games with the SWB RailRiders, losing 5-0 and winning 6-1. Jesse Biddle got knocked around in the first game and giving up all five runs on ten hits in 4.2 innings. The IronPigs picked up six hits in the seven inning game.
- Kelly Dugan (.216) went 1-3 with a double.
- Tommy Joseph (.172) went 1-3 with a double.
In the second game, Jason Berken tossed four shutout innings. He gave way to Chris Leroux who gave up one run in three innings and was awarded the win. The ‘Pigs scored in four of the seven innings. Jordan Danks hit his fifth home run and had three RBIs.
- Brian Bogusevic (.299) went 2-4 with a run scored and 2 RBI.
- Kelly Dugan (.209) went 0-3 with 3 K.
- Tommy Joseph (.177) went 1-2 with a run scored and RBI.
Reading (75-55) rallied with six late runs to beat the Bowie Baysox 8-3. Ben Lively struck out five in five innings, but gave up all three runs on two home runs. Jimmy Cordero threw a shutout inning. Ethan Martin pitched three, one-hit innings and struck out three for his third win.
Brock Stassi opened the scoring with a two-run home run in the third inning. Trailing 3-2 coming to bat in the seventh, Aaron Knapp drove home J.P. Crawford with a two-out, RBI double. Stassi broke the tie with his second two-run home run. The Phils added three more runs in the eighth on a bases loaded HBP of KC Serna and walk to Crawford. Knapp added the final run with a sac fly.
- J.P. Crawford (.265) went 2-2 with 2 runs scored, 2 doubles, 3 walks, and an RBI.
- Andrew Knapp (.381) went 2-4 with a run scored, double, and 2 RBI.
- Brock Stassi (.311) went 2-5 with 2 runs scored, 2 HR (14), and 4 RBI (88).
Clearwater (73-56) Pinto Night postponed due to rain. Tonight would have been his first start since August 17th.
Lakewood (65-62) lost to the Hagerstown Suns 3-1. Shane Watson gave up all three runs (2ER) on four hits and four walks. Calvin Rayburn and Scott Harris pitched two shutout innings apiece. The BlueClaws had seven hits. Herlis Rodriguez, Damek Tomscha, and Jiandido Tromp had two hits each.
- Damek Tomscha went 2-3 with a run scored and double.
- Kyle Martin went 1-3 with an RBI.
Williamsport (42-23) lost to the Batavia Muckdogs 3-2 in 12 innings. Franklyn Kilome gave up two runs in six innings on six hits and two walks. He struck out five on 90 pitches/57 strikes. Kenny Koplove and Andrew Godail combined for three, one-hit innings. Skylar Hunter went 2.1 innings before allowing the winning run. The Cutters managed seven hits and three walks in 12 innings and struck out 14 times. Mark Laird had their only RBI.
- Mark Laird went 2-5 with a walk and RBI.
- Luis Espiritu went 3-5 with a run scored.
- Venn Biter and Jan Hernandez struck out 3 times each.
- Espiritu and Carlos Duran twice each.
- Among starters, only Laird avoided a K.
DSL Phillies (40-32) Season completed. Finished tied for second place, three games back.
- AVG – Henry Santana .278
- OBP – Daniel Brito .421
- SLG – Santana .411
- OPS – Brito .728, Santana .725
- Edgar Gacia – 71 G, 255 AB, 47 R, 68 H, 14 doubles, 4 triples, 24 SB
- Nerluis Martinez – 5 HR
- RBI – Garcia and Ronaldo Marrero 28, Maftinez 27, Santana 26
- Brito 35 K, 22 BB
VSL Phillies (30-40) Season completed. Finished tied for third in a four team league.
- Their leading hitter was Enger Jimenez – .307, 36 R, 33 RBI, 15 SB.
- Jimenez was second on the team with three HR.
- Lenin Rodriguez led the team with four HR.
- Sergio Velis (4-2, 1.33) was their best pitcher – 74.2 IP, 50 H, 14 BB, 59 K, 0.86 WHIP.
Here’s the affiliated scoreboard from MiLB.
Extra Innings –
- Reading Fightin Phils sent C Jorge Alfaro on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies.
- Reading Fightin Phils activated RHP Ben Lively from the 7-day disabled list.
- Clearwater Threshers placed LHP Harold Guerrero on the temporarily inactive list.
- Clearwater Threshers activated RHP Jesen Dygestile-Therrien from the temporarily inactive list.
- IF Andrew Amaro assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- Lakewood BlueClaws placed LF Chase Harris on the 7-day disabled list.