Here’s an open discussion thread so the minor league posts don’t get cluttered with Phillies’ talk and other topics.
- “How ’bout dem Phils!” After Sunday’s win they are 21-12 since the All Star break. Their “Kiddie Korps” Morgan, Eickhoff, Araujo, and Nola have collected their last four wins.
- The Phillies have seen Colorado drop into the lead for the #1 pick in the draft. What once was a 2 or 3 team race has become a 7 team race. And, lets face it, with so many games against the NL East remaining, the Phillies face the weakest strength of schedule of the contenders for the top pick. It is conceivable that they drop out of the top three.
- Since being activated by the Nationals on July 29th, Jonathan Papelbon has made 7 appearances games. He is 3 for 3 in save situations. In the same span, Ken Giles has 11 appearances and is 10 for 10 in save situations.
- Aaron Altherr. Good start after the recall.
- ICYMI, I saw Jorge Alfaro take some swings against a rehabbing minor league pitcher in a sim inning. Wow! Crushed a home run over the left field fence into the handicapped/coaches parking lot at the Complex. Just missed Roly de Armas’ car. And he’s big, like Kyle Schwarber big.
- I heard that the Phillies intend to stretch out Clearwater reliever Alexis Rivero as a starter during Instructs.
- Carlos Tocci turned 20 Sunday. I took him out for a beer, and I drank his. jk
- Jerad Eickhoff. Great start. Ditto Aaron Nola.
- Look at all the guys we’re talking about right now. And have been talking about for months. Who is responsible for their acquisition? I know several readers feel that there have been “fire-able” offenses committed. But the fact of the matter is the firing didn’t take place when the offenses were committed. And, in a world where “What have you done lately” matters most, can you see that the firing that most wish to see, may not happen? Hmmm. (And, technically, I guess it would be a “non-rehiring”.)