Less than a week after the 2021 Amateur Draft has concluded, the Phillies have announced that they have signed their top eleven draft selections. In addition, they have inked as many as ten non-drafted free agents.
In the days after the draft, the Phillies had expressed confidence that they would sign their top ten picks and were equally confident that they would come to an agreement with 18 of their 20 picks and hoped to encourage the other two to sign also.
Signing bonus information has been released and the Phillies could have a hard time inking all twenty picks. To date, they have a little over $40K for overages for picks 12 thru 20. Here’s what’s been released. A complete breakdown is in the 2021 Draft Tracker.
- RHP Andrew Painter, signed under slot – $3,900,000
- OF Ethan Wilson, signed full slot – $1,507,600
- OF Jordan Viars, signed over slot – $747,500
- RHP Micah Ottenbreit, signed over slot – $775,000
- RHP Griff McGarry, signed under slot – $322,500
- RHP Jose Pena, signed under slot – $222,500
- RHP Christian McGowan, signed over slot – $577,500
- RHP Jason Ruffcom, signed under slot – $147.500
- OF Gavin Tonkel, signed over slot – $247,500
- OF Logan Cerny, signed full slot – $146,100
- RHP Andrew Baker, signed over $125K – $200,000
- 3B TJ Rumfield, signed for $125,000
- OF Jared Carr, signed under $125K – $50,000
- LHP Jose Valadez-Acuna, signed for $125,000
- LHP Matt Osterberg, signed under $125K – $100,000
- RHP Ty Collins, not signed
- RHP Alex Garbrick, signed under $125K – $30,000
- RHP Malik Binns, signed for $125,000
- RHP Seth Halvorsen, not signed
- RHP Cam Wynne, signed under $125K – $50,000
And, the NDFAs
- RHP Konnor Ash
- RHP Alex McKenney
- RHP Tommy McCollum
- RHP Matt Russell
- 1B Matt Goodheart
- LHP Jared Wetherbee
- 3B/C Anthony Quirion
- LHP Tristan Garnett
- SS Freylin Minyety
- LHP Parker Scott
I hope to be able to confirm rumors about picks 12 thru 20 at the Complex tomorrow. The FCL game starts at ten. I can enter at nine. Hopefully, the new guys will wear stuff with their names on the back.
I’ve noticed concerns regarding roster space for all these new guys. Some are expecting a mass release.
Teams are allowed 180 minor league players on their stateside rosters during the season. Active rosters are limited to 28 each for Triple-A and Double-A, 30 each for High-A and Low-A, and no limit for Complex league teams. (There is a 35 player limit for each DSL team, but that doesn’t come into play here.)
Drafted players do NOT count against player limits until they are placed on a roster and play in a league game. They WILL count when the season is over, but the player limit goes to 190 then. NDFAs don’t count until 15 days after signing if not on a league roster.
So, theoretically, some (or all) drafted players can spend the next two months working out at the Complex until the season is over. That buys a little time until the players on the 60-day IL are reinstated. Historically, the Phillies are careful with pitchers who may have been overworked by their college coaches.
So, there may be one mass release. Or, a couple groups of releases. Or, a long drawn put process of a few releases each week or so. We’ll see.
The draft tab on the menu above is active and up-to-date.
The Draft >>> 2021 Draft Discussions and Picks includes all our draft articles for this year and past years, as well as other links. Some older links may no longer be active.
All draft talk is encouraged here. I will start new threads if/when the number of comments becomes too unwieldy. In the past, that has been weekly.