Yesterday, the Phillies made their first second-round draft selection in four years. They went on to select nine players on day two of the draft. In all. they have selected six right-handed pitchers and four outfielders in the first ten rounds. Five of their picks, including their first pick, are prep players. Today’s final ten rounds start at noon.
This is the thread for the Day Three discussion.
Personally, I don’t like the new draft format. I understand MLB wanting to make their draft an event. But, it’s tough to sell the selection of over 600 players as a big deal when none of them will play in the majors this season, almost none will play in the majors next season, and most of whom will never sniff the big leagues. I only care about 20 of the payers selected. The rest are just noise. I hope today’s coverage and one minute per selection resembles the final day coverage of 2019 and previous years.
The Phillies had the 13th overall selection in the first round.
The Phillies have a bonus pool allotment of $8,295,000.
The complete slot breakdown is as follows (round, pick, $) –
- 13th overall: $4,197,300
- 49th overall: $1,507,600
- 84th overall: $721,900
- 114th overall: $507,400
- 145th overall: $375,200
- 175th overall: $284,200
- 205th overall: $222,100
- 235th overall: $177,400
- 265th overall: $155,800
- 295th overall: $146,100
- 325th overall: picks in rounds 11 thru 20 are each capped at $125, 000 which doesn’t count against the bonus pool; any portion exceeding this figure counts against the bonus pool.
- 355th overall: capped at $125, 000
- 385th overall: capped at $125, 000
- 415th overall: capped at $125, 000
- 445th overall: capped at $125, 000
- 475th overall: capped at $125, 000
- 505th overall: capped at $125, 000
- 535th overall: capped at $125, 000
- 565th overall: capped at $125, 000
- 595th overall: capped at $125, 000
Contracts for non-drafted free agents are capped at $20,000.
Schedule (All Times ET)
- Tuesday, July 13
- Day 3
Live on MLB.com
Round 11 begins at noon ET
This is a forum for draft discussion to keep it separate from other conversations.
As in previous years, I’ll post a place for daily draft discussions until the draft is completed, then, weekly draft discussions until the signing period is over (August 1st). Draft signings will be tracked here – 2021 Draft Tracker