Four more days! The baseball season restarts this Thursday. The Phillies play their home opener on Friday, July 24th against the Miami Marlins.
The Phillies played three intrasquad games (winning all three) before playing scrimmages against the Nationals and Orioles over the weekend. They beat the Nationals and Max Scherzer soundly and then lost to the Orioles and Tom Eshelman. So, the Marlins will probably be a tough challenge, again. The Phillies play another scrimmage at Yankee stadium Monday night.
So, during this unprecedented season, do you want to restrict game discussion to the weekly Open Discussion? Or, would separate articles for each game make more sense? I don’t feel like creating a poll for this. Let me know in the Comments Section.
Canada has decided to not allow the Toronto Blue Jays to play home games in Toronto. I do not blame the Canadian government for arriving at this decision. I’ve seen a lot of negative comments on social media about their decision. A lot of them include the opinion that Canada could have made the decision earlier so that the Jays wouldn’t have to scramble to find another site. They held off on their decision hoping that conditions would improve so that the Jays could play in Toronto. But, with the border closed between the countries, why weren’t the Jays and MLB looking for a back up site. You know, just in case. They should have been prepared for such an outcome.
The Phillies completed some roster shuffling over the weekend. Some guys were released, a lot of others were assigned to the “Phillies Alternate Training Site” in Allentown (Lehigh Valley). The transactions are reported in the transactions list for each affiliate in the league in which they play. As usual, they are condensed below.
When I completed updating my files with all the recent assignments, I noticed that there are
30 (actually 29) players remaining at CBP (an active list? probably not). We can expect more movement, some players on the IL are likely ready to be activated, some players still at CBP are not on the 40-man roster, …
Anyway, here’s what I have.
Not Assigned to the Phillies Alternate Training Site (players are on the 40-man unless noted otherwise which is at 39 today) –
- Pitchers (15) – LHP Alvarez, Cleavinger, Irvin, Morgan, Romero, RHP Arrieta, Eflin, Edgar Garcia, Guerra, Llovera, McClain, Nola, Pivetta, Velasquez, Wheeler
- Catchers (3) – Grullon, Knapp, Realmuto
- Infielders (4) – Gregorius, Hoskins, Segura, Walker (not on 40, but already announced as making the opening day roster)
- Outfielders (7) – Bruce, Garlick, Harper, Haseley, McCutchen, Quinn, Nick Williams
That’s 29, the following four players are on the 10-day IL and the 40-man roster – RHP Hunter, RHP Neris, LHP Suarez, 2B Kingery. They were all placed on the IL retroactive to June 30th, so if/when healthy, they can be activated at any time.
Options may come into play. The option status of the 33 players above is as follows –
- 0 – Alvarez, Morgan, Arrieta, Guerra, Wheeler, Realmuto, Gregorius, Segura, Walker, Harper, McCutchen, Bruce, Quinn, Neris, Hunter
- 1 – Eflin, Pivetta, Nick Williams, Suarez
- 2 – Velasquez, Irvin, Edgar Garcia, Garlick
- 3 – Nola, Cleavinger, Romero, Llovera, McClain, Knapp, Grullon, Hoskins, Haseley, Kingery
So, Walker will fill the remaining open slot on the 40-man roster. I don’t expect a lot of movement. The following seem to make sense.
The vacant spot on the 30 can be filled by Neris or Hunter.
Parker (not on the 40) can be reassigned making room for either Neris or Hunter).
Grullon will probably be optioned and placed on the taxi squad with Kingery’s activation.
Garlick and Williams might be optioned making room for the other of Neris/Hunter and Harrison, but Harrison will also require a 40-man move (DFA one of the optioned pitchers, I guess).
Another DFA will be needed to make room on the 40-man roster for Spencer Howard after a minimum of 6 days. The season starts on Thursday, so if they choose to, the Phillies can select Howard’s contract for game six. That would be Tuesday night in an empty Yankees’ Stadium.
When the Phillies decide to promote Alec Bohm, they will have to DFA another player to make room on the 40-man roster. That may not happen as quickly as with Howard.
Let’s hope that all the boys of summer can play without anything bad happening to them during this pandemic. May they all take the precautions seriously. I have my doubts. I watched the Yankees celebrate a Judge HR last night with no distancing while making physical contact. SMH, no wonder Canada …
This is the Phuture Phillies Open Discussion for Phillies and other baseball topics.
- June 10-11, 2020 – Amateur Draft
- June 14, 2020 – Teams can begin to sign non-drafted players
- June 26, 2020 – MLB Transaction freeze ends, noon ET
- June 28, 2020 – Deadline for submission of Club Player Pool to MLB, 4:00 PM ET (60-man roster)
- July 1, 2020 – Training camp reporting date
- July 23, 2020: Opening Day
- July 24, 2020: Phillies opener at home v Miami
- August 1, 2020 – Signing period for 2020 draft picks closes
- August 31, 2020 – Trade Deadline
- September 15, 2020 – Deadline for players to be added to Major League roster for postseason eligibility
- September 28-October 1, 2020 – Minor League Baseball Innovators Summit, Winston-Salem, NC
- September 30, 2020 – Expiration of the Professional Baseball Agreement between MLB and MiLB
- October 15, 2020, 5:00 PM EDT – Close of the 2019 international signing period
- October TBA – Trading resumes, day after the World Series ends
- October – November TBA, five days after the conclusion of the World Series – Deadline for teams to make qualifying offers to their eligible former players who became free agents
- November TBA, fifteen days after the conclusion of the World Series – Deadline for free agents to accept qualifying offers
- November TBA – GM Meetings (Nov. 11-14, Scottsdale, AZ in 2019)
- November TBA – Owners meetings (Nov. 19-21, Arlington, TX in 2019)
- November 20, 2020 – Rosters set for Rule 5 Draft
- November TBA – MLBPA executive board meeting (Nov. 26-29 in Irving, TX in 2018)
- December 2, 2019 – Last day for teams to offer 2021 contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters
- December 6-10, 2020 – Winter Meetings in Dallas, Texas, at the Omni Dallas Hotel and Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas, held in conjunction with the Baseball Trade Show and PBEO Job Fair.
- December 10, 2020 – Rule 5 Draft
- January TBA – Rookie Career Development Program
- January 15, 2021, 9:00 AM EST – Start of the 2020 international signing period
The rosters and lists are up to date as of July 19th … 349 players in the org
- 7/18/2020 – LHP Francisco Liriano granted his release
- 7/18/2020 – LHP Francisco Liriano assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/18/2020 – 2B Logan Forsythe granted his release
- 7/18/2020 – 2B Logan Forsythe assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/18/2020 – CF Mikie Mahtook assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/18/2020 – LF Nick Martini assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/18/2020 – IF Phil Gosselin assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/18/2020 – RHP Trevor Kelley assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/18/2020 – RHP Blake Parker assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/18/2020 – RHP Ramon Rosso assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/18/2020 – RHP Anthony Swarzak assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/18/2020 – 2B Ronald Torreyes assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/18/2020 – 2B Josh Harrison assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/18/2020 – 1B Neil Walker assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/18/2020 – RHP Connor Seabold assigned to Alternate Site from Reading
- 7/18/2020 – RHP Connor Brogdon assigned to Alternate Site from Reading
- 7/18/2020 – 3B Alec Bohm assigned to Alternate Site from Reading
- 7/18/2020 – RHP Spencer Howard assigned to Alternate Site from Reading
- 7/18/2020 – LHP Damon Jones assigned to Alternate Site from Reading
- 7/18/2020 – RHP Addison Russ assigned to Alternate Site from Reading
- 7/18/2020 – C Henri Lartigue assigned to Alternate Site from Reading
- 7/18/2020 – C Logan O’Hoppe assigned to Alternate Site from Lakewood
- 7/17/2020 – Phillies optioned RHP Victor Arano to Alternate Site
- 7/16/2020 – Phillies released RHP Bud Norris
- 7/15/2020 – LHP Austin Davis assigned to Alternate Site from Lehigh Valley
- 7/15/2020 – Phillies placed LHP Austin Davis on the 10-day injured list
- 7/15/2020 – Phillies invited non-roster LHP Austin Davis to spring training
- 7/15/2020 – C Rafael Marchan assigned to Alternate Site from Clearwater
- 7/15/2020 – C Rafael Marchan assigned to Philadelphia Phillies
- 7/15/2020 – Phillies invited non-roster C Rafael Marchan to spring training
- 7/13/2020 – Phillies optioned RHP Enyel De Los Santos to Alternate Site
- 7/13/2020 – Phillies optioned RHP Robert Stock to Alternate Site
- 7/09/2020 – Phillies signed FA RHP Anthony Swarzak to an MiLB contract w/ST invite
- 7/08/2020 – Reading released RF Jose Pujols
- 7/08/2020 – Clearwater released RHP Oscar Marcelino
- 7/08/2020 – Lakewood released LHP Jose Jimenez
- 7/04/2020 – Phillies invited non-roster C Henri Lartigue to spring training
- 7/04/2020 – Phillies invited non-roster RHP Anthony Swarzak to spring training
- 7/01/2020 – Phillies invited non-roster C Logan O’Hoppe to spring training
- 7/01/2020 – Phillies placed RHP Tommy Hunter on the 10-day IL retro to June 30, 2020
- 7/01/2020 – Phillies placed RHP Hector Neris on the 10-day IL retro to June 30, 2020
- 7/01/2020 – Phillies placed 3B Scott Kingery on the 10-day IL retro to June 30, 2020
- 7/01/2020 – Phillies placed LHP Ranger Suarez on the 10-day IL retro to June 30, 2020