The countdown to the start of the Phillies’ 2020 baseball season is inside two weeks. They open at home on Friday, July 24th against their nemesis, the Miami Marlins.
The Phillies are playing intrasquad games, but will play scrimmages against the Nationals, Orioles, and Yankees on July 18-20. All at 6:05 PM, Nationals and Yankees on the road, Orioles at home.
The Phillies’ road trip to Toronto may end up being played in Buffalo or some other non-Canadian site. Canada may not suspend their strict quarantine rules for MLB and they have some pretty harsh penalties for being outside the “baseball bubble”, $750K and jail time.
The Phillies released 3 minor leaguers last week – RHP Oscar Marcelino, LHP Jose Jimenez, and Jose Pujols. Marcelino and Pujols were going to be free agents after the season. Jimenz missed all of 2019 with a knee, Pujols missed with an Achilles. Twenty-three-year-old Marcelino was signed in 2014 as an international free agent, spent 3 seasons in the DSL, one in the GCL, one in Williamsport, and split 2019 between Lakewood (3.86 ERA) and Clearwater (7.84 ERA).
It’s a shame, but these guys are probably our first minors’ casualties of no minor league season.
Pujols really came around in 2018. Pujols suffered his injury in spring training just before the start of the 2019 season. He was coming off of a .301/.364/.523/.887 season in 95 games with Clearwater. He was promoted to Reading for 26 games and slashed .270/.365/.427/.792. These were his best numbers during his career. His K% was still a little high though.
Marcelino had reached the mid-90s with his fastball, topping out at 95-96 mph. The 23-year-old struggled with command, 5.5 career BB/9.
Jimenez was throwing in the low 90s in 2017. The 22-year-old had a 3.71 ERA, 3.0 BB/9, and 11.1 K/9 in his last season with Williamsport in 2018.
Read an interesting article by Joel Sherman in the NY Post this weekend. In it, he suggests that more player opt outs could be expected after the season begins. The theory is that once players reach certain service time milestones, they have no reason to continue to risk their and their families’ health.
Milestones include arbitration eligibility (3 years), free agency (6 years), or fully vesting in the pension plan (10 years). Sherman has spoken to agents and ML executives who anticipate the possibility of such decisions.
I don’t know if any of these would apply to Phillies’ players, but Sherman’s examples are intriguing, especially those who were kept in the minors for enough time to require a seventh season to qualify for free agency.
This is the Phuture Phillies Open Discussion for Phillies and other baseball topics.
- June 10-11, 2020 – Amateur Draft
- June 14, 2020 – Teams can begin to sign non-drafted players
- June 26, 2020 – MLB Transaction freeze ends, noon ET
- June 28, 2020 – Deadline for submission of Club Player Pool to MLB, 4:00 PM ET (60-man roster)
- July 1, 2020 – Training camp reporting date
- July 23, 2020: Opening Day
- July 24, 2020: Phillies opener at home v Miami
- August 1, 2020 – Signing period for 2020 draft picks closes
- August 31, 2020 – Trade Deadline
- September 15, 2020 – Deadline for players to be added to Major League roster for postseason eligibility
- September 28-October 1, 2020 – Minor League Baseball Innovators Summit, Winston-Salem, NC
- September 30, 2020 – Expiration of the Professional Baseball Agreement between MLB and MiLB
- October 15, 2020, 5:00 PM EDT – Close of the 2019 international signing period
- October TBA – Trading resumes, day after the World Series ends
- October – November TBA, five days after the conclusion of the World Series – Deadline for teams to make qualifying offers to their eligible former players who became free agents
- November TBA, fifteen days after the conclusion of the World Series – Deadline for free agents to accept qualifying offers
- November TBA – GM Meetings (Nov. 11-14, Scottsdale, AZ in 2019)
- November TBA – Owners meetings (Nov. 19-21, Arlington, TX in 2019)
- November 20, 2020 – Rosters set for Rule 5 Draft
- November TBA – MLBPA executive board meeting (Nov. 26-29 in Irving, TX in 2018)
- December 2, 2019 – Last day for teams to offer 2021 contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters
- December 6-10, 2020 – Winter Meetings in Dallas, Texas, at the Omni Dallas Hotel and Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas, held in conjunction with the Baseball Trade Show and PBEO Job Fair.
- December 10, 2020 – Rule 5 Draft
- January TBA – Rookie Career Development Program
- January 15, 2021, 9:00 AM EST – Start of the 2020 international signing period
The rosters and lists are up to date as of July 12th … 352 players in the org
- 7/09/2020 – Phillies signed FA RHP Anthony Swarzak to an MiLB contract w/ST invite
- 7/08/2020 – Reading Fightin Phils released RF Jose Pujols
- 7/08/2020 – Clearwater released RHP Oscar Marcelino
- 7/08/2020 – Lakewood BlueClaws released LHP Jose Jimenez
- 7/04/2020 – Phillies invited non-roster C Henri Lartigue to spring training
- 7/04/2020 – Phillies invited non-roster RHP Anthony Swarzak to spring training
- 7/01/2020 – Phillies invited non-roster C Logan O’Hoppe to spring training
- 7/01/2020 – Phillies placed RHP Tommy Hunter on the 10-day IL retro to June 30th
- 7/01/2020 – Phillies placed RHP Hector Neris on the 10-day IL retro to June 30, 2020
- 7/01/2020 – Phillies placed 3B Scott Kingery on the 10-day IL retro to June 30, 2020
- 7/01/2020 – Phillies placed LHP Ranger Suarez on the 10-day IL retro to June 30, 2020
- 6/30/2020 – Phillies invited non-roster RHP Connor Seabold to spring training
- 6/30/2020 – Phillies signed RHP Anthony Swarzak to an MiLB contract
- 6/30/2020 – Phillies released RHP Anthony Swarzak
- 6/28/2020 – Phillies invited non-roster RHP Connor Seabold to spring training
- 6/28/2020 – Phillies placed RHP Seranthony Dominguez on the 60-day IL. Eebow
- 6/28/2020 – Phillies released OF Matt Szczur
- 6/28/2020 – Phillies released RHP Drew Storen
- 6/27/2020 – GCL East released RHP Jason Lott (5/29/20)
- 6/25/2020 – Phillies signed SS Casey Martin
- 6/25/2020 – OF Baron Radcliff assigned to Williamsport
- 6/25/2020 – RHP Carson Ragsdale assigned to Williamsport
- 6/24/2020 – Phillies signed RHP Mick Abel
- 6/24/2020 – RHP Mick Abel assigned to GCL East
- 6/19/2020 – Phillies signed FA RHP Buddy Hayward to an MiLB contract
- 6/19/2020 – RHP Buddy Hayward assigned to GCL West
- 6/19/2020 – Phillies signed RHP Carson Ragsdale
- 6/18/2020 – Phillies signed OF Baron Radcliff
- 6/18/2020 – Phillies signed FA RHP Blake Brown to an MiLB contract
- 6/18/2020 – RHP Blake Brown assigned to Clearwater
- 6/17/2020 – RHP Chase Antle assigned to GCL West
- 6/17/2020 – LHP Jake McKenna assigned to GCL West
- 6/17/2020 – RHP Jonathan Hughes assigned to GCL West
- 6/17/2020 – LHP J.P. Woodward assigned to GCL West
- 6/17/2020 – RHP Billy Sullivan assigned to GCL West
- 6/17/2020 – RHP Noah Skirrow assigned to GCL West
- 6/17/2020 – RHP Sam Jacobsak assigned to Clearwater
- 6/17/2020 – LHP Jordan Fowler assigned to Clearwater
- 6/16/2020 – Phillies signed NDFA LHP J.P. Woodward to an MiLB contract
- 6/16/2020 – Phillies signed NDFA RHP Billy Sullivan to an MiLB contract
- 6/16/2020 – Phillies signed NDFA LHP Jake McKenna to an MiLB contract
- 6/16/2020 – Phillies signed NDFA RHP Chase Antle to an MiLB contract
- 6/16/2020 – Phillies signed NDFA RHP Noah Skirrow to an MiLB contract
- 6/16/2020 – Phillies signed NDFA RHP Jonathan Hughes to an MiLB contract
- 6/14/2020 – Phillies signed NDFA LHP Jordan Fowler to an MiLB contract
- 6/14/2020 – Phillies signed NDFA RHP Sam Jacobsak to an MiLB contract