Gustavo Armas started for the Claws and completed all 7 innings. The game was scoreless all the way until the top of the 7th when Armas gave up a 4 pitch walk followed by a 2 run homer. Gustavo was able to retire the next hitter and finish the game. His fastball was 91-92 and topped out at 93 (based on the stadium gun). His off-speed stuff varied from high 70’s to low 80’s. He did an excellent job of mixing his pitches and had impressive control (76 strikes on 99 pitches). One interested thing that I noticed was that every pitch he threw that was less than 80 mph resulted in either a swinging strike, a foul ball, or an easy out. Obviously he threw first pitch strikes to most of the hitters since he threw such a high percentage of strikes (19 of 26 by my unofficial count) Here is a log of each batter he faced:
- Weak 4-3 groundout/Hard hit 4-3 groundout/Swinging K on off-speed pitch (almost in the dirt)
- High, Deep Flyout to LF/Swinging K (83 mph- changeup, I believe)/Swinging K (Full Count, 83 mph)
- Popout to SS/Swinging K (81 mph)/Lineout to deep LF
- 6-3 groundout (1st pitch)/Bloop single to RF over the shift/4-6 FC (nice diving play by Guthrie, the ball rolled out of his glove but he grabbed it and flipped backhand from the ground to get the force)/Lazy Flyout to CF (77 mph)
- Hard Double off the LF Wall/Popout to SS/1-3 comebacker/Weak 4-3 groundout (78 mph)
- Routine 5-3 groundout/1-3 comebacker/Bloop Single over SS/6-3 hard groundout
- Looking K (78mph- 9 pitch AB: 8 strikes, 1 ball)/6-3 (One hop)/BB (4 pitches)/ 2-Run HR/6-3 (low liner that Maton dropped, he threw wide to first but Nieporte tagged the runner).
I tracked every AB for everyone but the Claws only managed 3 hits in the game so I will spare you the specific details of all the easy outs we made.
Muzzioti: (0-3, 3 groundouts (1 was a DP))
Scheiner: (0-3, 2 6-3’s and a K)
Maton: (0-2, 2 easy outs and a HBP)
Ortiz: 1-3 (K on foul tip, F-7, Hard Double down LF line)
Nieporte: (0-3, Swinging K, after a long foul that may have been a HR, Hard lineout to LF, High Flyout ot LF)
Stephen: (0-3,2 4-3’s and a swinging K (tried to check))
Rivero: (1-3, Broken Bat oppo single to RF, looking K, Lazy popout to Left-center)
Guthrie: 0-1 (4-6 FC, BB)
Antequera: (1-2, hit and run single into the hole between SS and 3B, popout to 1B)
Ortiz’s double came in the bottom of the 7th but he was left stranded and the Claws lost 2-0. Game 2 report will follow later- have to leave the hotel to get to the 11:00 game this morning.