The Phillies optioned Jake Arrieta to Clearwater Thursday. That action finalized their opening day roster for the 2018 season.
- C – Alfaro, Knapp
- Inf – Santana, Hernandez, Crawford, Franco, Kingery
- OF- Hoskins, Herrera, Williams, Altherr, Florimon
- SP – Nola, Pivetta, Velasquez, Lively
- Pen – Arano, Garcia, Hutchinson, Milner, Morgan, Neris, Rios, Ramos, Thompson
During the past couple days, the Phillies have –
- placed Neshek, Leiter, Eickhoff, and Hunter on the DL;
- traded Pinto to the CWS for international money;
- signed minor league free agents Alexi Amarista, Dean Anna, and Brandon Bednar;
- released Luis Encarnacion, Ryan Etsell, Gunnar Buhner, Jhon Nunez, David Martinelli, Jake Kelzer, Casey Brown, Shane Watson, Cameron Rupp, Parker Frazier;
- and Mark Laird, Anderson Nunez, and Alexander Kline retired.
The rosters for Lehigh Valley, Reading, and Lakewood are posted and look like this –
- Lehigh Valley
- C – Moore, Rickles
- Inf – Amarista, Anna, McBride, J. Meneses, Valentin, Walding
- OF– Cowgill, Cozens, Ortiz, Pullin, Quinn
- SP – Anderson, De Los Santos, Eflin, Eshelman, Irvin, Leibrandt
- Pen – Beato, Casimiro, Curtis, Davis, Geltz, Windle
- DL – Middlebrooks, Taveras
- C – Bossart, Grullon
- Inf – Bednar, Canelo, Green, Marrero, Martin, H. Meneses,, Tomscha
- OF – Coppola, Hernandez, Randolph, Tromp
- SP – Ed. Garcia, Kilome, Romero, Suarez, Waguespack
- Pen – Arauz, Bettencourt, Cleavinger, Dominguez, Gilbert, Leftwich, McGarry
- C – Duran, Fitch, Rivero
- Inf – Brito, Guthrie, Maton, Nieporte, Scheiner, Stobbe
- OF – Matos, Muzziotti, Ortiz, Stephen
- SP – Brogdon, Carrasco, J. Garcia, Howard, Rosso, Stewart
- Pen – Alcantara, Dohy, Hennigan, Jones, Parkinson, Ramirez, Russ, Warren
The players learned their assignments Thursday after their intrasquad games. Only Lehigh Valley has made their DL public. I’m fairly sure that Reading and Lakewood have guys on the DL. If so, I would expect those announcements to be made by opening day.
Clearwater will make their roster available on Monday. I believe they are waiting for the names on their DL. Since Clearwater is the Phillies’ spring training home, some players have begun their rehab assignments here in the past. Expect the same this year.
I saw Sixto Sanchez and Elniery Garcia pitch to live batters in a game on the back field today.
Remember that players don’t have to be on a DL. The Phillies made judicious use of the Williamsburg roster during XST last year.
The following list hasn’t been made public and is NOT offficial. It’s my best guess based on the info I have gleaned from observations at the Complex and trolling the internet. Some will make up the Threshers’ roster (Clearwater and Lakewood can have a reserve that could bring their rosters up to 35). Another 10-14 players may have already been assigned to Williamsport.
- C – Cabral, Lartigue, Lino
- Inf –Gamboa, Garcia, Gomez, Hall, Rivas, Williams, Antequera
- OF – Alastre, Haseley, Moniak, Pujols, Listi, Markham
- SP –Falter, Fanti, Medina, Mills, Paulino, Requena, S. Sanchez, Seabold
- Pen – Arrieta, A. Brown, Cabrera, Dyer, Hernandez , Hibbs, Llovera, Quinn, Rivero, Singer
(Update: the 28 players in bold text were on the roster the Threshers announced around noon on Monday, the players in italics were guys I hadn’t expectedto be on the roster, and the players in regular text are guys I expected to open the season on the DL. Except for Hibbs. I thought he was a lock for the roster.)
Final Disclaimer. The Clearwater roster is pure conjecture on my part. There are likely several mistakes. I would expect at least three of the above to start the season on the DL. Regarding the DL, I have nothing to go on other than my observations and what has transpired in past seasons.
Based on the game I watched today, I would venture to guess that Seabold is going to be the Threshers’ opening game pitcher. He looked good against Dunedin.
BTW, I really like the make up of the Clearwater and Lakewood rosters.
The organization’s rosters are up to date (except for six new, young, international FA signees that I was too tired to look up at 3:00 AM).
#Phly Phillies Phly