The Phillies signed Scott Kingery to a major league contract. While some people thought Kingery should make the team out of camp, and more than some expected Kingery to be promoted two weeks into the season, Nobody here saw this. Congratulations to Scott! (You too, TK.)
The Phillies made a few other moves, a little less surprising, as they move toward their opening day roster.
#Phly Phillies Phly!
You probably aren’t aware that I deleted all entries on the Comment Black List last November or December. So, Phuture Phillies has been open for anyone to post a comment. Today, I added the first name to the new Black List. First of all, I found his handle offensive. Second, his comment was intended to pick a fight. Third, he hadn’t commented on this site as he insinuated. Ever. So, he couldn’t have made the prediction he claimed to have made, which wasn’t such a bold prediction, anyway. And finally, his e-mail server does not exist, so therefore I assume his email account is also bogus.
Organizational News and Changes
Scott Kingery signed the largest major league contract for a player who hadn’t yet made his major league debut. It’s a six-year deal thru 2023 for $24M. The team has options for 2024, 2025, and 2026. The per year breakdown has been reported as follows –
- 2018 – $700K plus a $1.5M signing bonus
- 2019 – $1.25M
- 2020 – $1.5M
- 2021 – $4M
- 2022 – $6M
- 2023 – $8M
- 2024 – team option for $13M
- 2025 – team option for $14M
- 2026 – team option for $15M
The deal includes a $1M buyout.
Jake Arrieta will make his debut on April 8th against the Miami Marlins. He will pitch in Tuesday’s game against the Pirates at Spectrum Field. After that his work out schedule is a little sketchy after he attends the opener in Atlanta.
Aaron Nola is scheduled to start the opener on Thursday. Nick Pivetta is scheduled to start on Friday. Vince Velasquez is scheduled to start on Saturday.
A few days ago, Tommy Joseph was claimed off waivers and Eliezer Alvarez was traded to the Rangers for cash. Yesterday, Francisco Rodriguez was released.
Sunday was particularly busy. The contracts of Scott Kingery and Drew Hutchinson were selected from Lehigh Valley. Jesse Valentin was optioned to Lehigh Valley. And, Ricardo Pinto and Cameron Rupp were designated for assignment.
33 players remain in major league camp – 32 are on the 40-man roster and 1 NRI (Will Middlebrooks, broken fibula). Two on the Forty are injured and are expected to start the season on a DL (Jared Eickhoff, mild lat strain and Mark Leiter, mild flexor strain).
Just two spring training games remaining – Pirates at Bradenton on Monday, Pirates at Spectrum Field on Tuesday.
Last five days of minor league camp for the Phillies’ AAA, AA, and A+ affiliates. The minor league spring training schedule is available here.
The Phillies’ eXtended Spring Training schedule starts on April 9th and is available here.
Minor League Report
Sunday was a camp day. I skipped the intrasquad games. But there was this.
Saturday, Groups One and Two played the Blue Jays at the Complex. Lehigh Valley’s coaching staff returned from major league camp and took over Group One. Each coaching group moved down one, so that the Groups match up with the levels – Group One = AAA, Lehigh Valley; Group Two = AA, Reading; Group Three = A+, Clearwater; Group Four = A, Lakewood; and Group Five = Williamsport/GCL.
Enyel De Los Santos started the AAA game and threw 4.2 innings, allowing one run on four hits. He was replaced by Seranthony Dominguez with a runner on first. He was caught stealing by Logan Moore. Dominguez pitched a scoreless inning and turned the game over to Tyler Viza who also tossed a scoreless inning. Alexis Rivero gave up the tying runs as the game ended 3-3. Rhys Hoskins drove in all three runs with two HRs one to RF and one to the right of the scoring eye in center.
Tom Eshelman started the AA game and gave up one run in 4.0 innings. He didn’t walk a batter but he did hit one. He gave way to Aaron Brown and Luke Leftwich. Luke Williams had a couple hits. as did Haseley, Moniak, and Jose Gomez. Moniak’s was a line drive to center. The group lost 7-0 (I think). Eshelman completed his work for the day in the bullpen with Cornelius Randolph standing in the box with a bat.
My grandchildren arrive tomorrow for 10 days. Reports may get even more spotty during their visit.
- March 29, 2018 – Opening Day for the 2018 season
- March 29, 2018 – Phillies opening game in Atlanta
- April 5, 2018 – Phillies’ home opener v. Miami
- April 5, 2018 – Reading’s home opener v. Erie
- April 5, 2018 – Clearwater’s home opener v. Dunedin
- April 5, 2018 – Lakewood’s opening game at Kannapolis
- April 6, 2018 – Lehigh Valley’s opening game at Pawtucket
- April 12, 2018 -Lehigh Valley’s home opener v. Louisville
- April 12, 2018 – Lakewood’s home opener v. Delmarva
- April 17-18, 2018 – Twins v. Indians at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, PR
- June 4-6, 2018 – 2018 MLB Draft
- June 15, 2018 – Williamsport’s home opener v. State College
- July 13-17, 2018 – All-Star Week
- July 17, 2018 – 89th All Star Game
- August 19, 2018 – Phillies v. Mets in the Little League Classic in Williamsport.
- December 10-13, 2018 – Winter Meetings at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada
Off Season Transactions (recently reported transactions in bold): (40-man stands at 40, unsubstantiated signings in italics)
- 3/25/18 – Phillies designated RHP Ricardo Pinto for assignment
- 3/25/18 – Phillies designated C Cameron Rupp for assignment
- 3/25/18 – Phillies optioned 2B Jesmuel Valentin to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 3/25/18 – Phillies selected the contract of 2B Scott Kingery from Lehigh Valley
- 3/25/18 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Drew Hutchison from Lehigh Valley
- 3/24/18 – Phillies released RHP Francisco Rodriguez
- 3/23/18 – Phillies release Adam Rosales
- 3/22/18 – Phillies release Ryan Flaherty
- 3/21/18 – Phillies release Fernando Abad
- 3/21/18 – Phillies traded 2B Eliezer Alvarez to Texas Rangers for cash
- 3/19/18 – Rangers claimed 1B Tommy Joseph off waivers
- 3/17/18 – Phillies optioned RHP Yacksel Rios to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 3/16/18 – Phillies selected the contract of CF Pedro Florimon from Lehigh Valley
- 3/16/18 – Phillies designated 2B Eliezer Alvarez for assignment
- 3/13/18 – Phillies signed free agent LHP Tim Berry to a minor league contract
- 3/13/18 – Phillies optioned RHP Seranthony Dominguez to Reading Fightin Phils
- 3/12/18 – Phillies signed free agent RHP Jake Arrieta
- 3/12/18 – Phillies designated 1B Tommy Joseph for assignment
- 3/10/18 – RHP Ricardo Pinto assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Phillies
- 3/10/18 – Phillies optioned RHP Ricardo Pinto to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 3/9/18 – Phillies optioned 2B Eliezer Alvarez to Reading Fightin Phils
- 3/9/18 – Phillies optioned RHP Jose Taveras to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 3/9/18 – Phillies optioned RF Dylan Cozens to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 3/9/18 – Phillies optioned RHP Franklyn Kilome to Reading Fightin Phils
- 3/9/18 – Phillies optioned LHP Ranger Suarez to Clearwater Threshers
- 3/7/18 – Phillies signed free agent RHP Manuel Urias to a minor league contract
- 3/5/18 – Phillies optioned RHP Drew Anderson to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Patrick Frazier
- 2/19/18–Phillies signed free agent LHP Maikel Garrido to a minor league contract
- 2/19/18–Phillies signed free agent C Edward Barboza to a minor league contract
- 2/16/18–Phillies signed free agent Gabriel Lino to a minor league contract; assigned to Lehigh Valley
- 1/30/18–Phillies signed free agent Wilson Garcia to a minor league contract; assigned to Clearwater
- 1/9/18–Phillies signed free agent Juan Escorcia to a minor league contract; assigned to GCL Phillies West
- The organization’s rosters
- The organization’s injury list retains the injuries at the end of the 2017 season. All are expected to be okay by the start of spring training.
- The organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list is as accurate as I can make it FOR 2018.
Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.