We”ll start the “Best of” series of polls with your selection as the best first baseman in the system. I have allowed a maximum of three answers for each ballot. This will allow us to establish what kind of depth we have in the organization. This is especially handy for first base where I expect there to be a land slide in favor of the top guy.
(Don’t forget to submit your top prospect list by e-mailing it to email@example.com.)
Each player listed below is in the poll and played at least 10 games at the position. I have included a link to the player’s profile in Baseball Reference. And I have included a link to Gregg’s Report Card for Corner Infielders.
- Rhys Hoskins – what can I say, great season
- Brock Stassi – sentimental favorite, free agent
- Kyle Martin – big disappointment
- Harold Martinez – my first favorite player, changed the way I view prospects, always seemed more comfortable as a hitter when he played first base, free agent
- Damek Tomscha – looked good in Clearwater
- Zach Green – the injury really set him back, probably passed by younger guys
- Wilson Garcia – too small for the position, IMO
- Darick Hall – big spring, surprised it took so long for him to be moved up
- Austin Listi – didn’t see enough of him before he went to Williamsport
- Greg Pickett – promising, I liked him as an outfielder, leg injury probably prompted position change, big power bat
- Brian Mims – didn’t see enough of him before he went to Williamsport
- Quincy Nieporte – reminded me of Jake Fox before Fox became a GCL coach, would have rather seen him at a higher level
- Edwin Rodriguez – lost time at position to Pickett then Nieporte, probably doesn’t figure in Phillies’ plans