Lehigh Valley rallied from a four run deficit to tie their playoff game against Scranton. They walked off with a victory in twelve innings and a 1-0 lead in the series.
Williamsport closed out their season with a victory over State College and finished their campaign with a .500 record.
Lehigh Valley trailed 5-1 after five innings. But a four-run sixth inning tied the game, and their bullpen kept them in the game until Carlos Tocci’s RBI single with the bases loaded in the twelfth inning propelled them to a first round victory.
Drew Anderson started and pitched six innings. He gave up 5 runs on 9 hits. He walked one and struck out six. Errors by Scott Kingery and Andrew Pullin led to two unearned runs among the five charged to Anderson.
Cesar Ramos retired the three batter he faced in his one inning. Joe DeNato retired the two batters he faced in the eighth. Michael Mariot retired the one batter he faced in relief of DeNato. Pedro Beato issued a two-out walk in one inning. Victor Arano navigated around a single, wild pitch and a walk in the second of his two innings. Pat Venditte got the win but had to work around a lead off hit batter in the top of the twelfth.
Trailing 3-0 in the third inning, the IronPigs got one run back when Carlos Tocci led off with a double and scored on Scott Kingery’s RBI single. After Scranton tacked on two more runs, the IronPigs stormed back to tie the contest in the sixth inning on RBI singles by Mitch Walding, Angelo Mora, and Dylan Cozens, and a sacrifice fly by Andrew Pullin.
The IronPigs had base runners in four of the next five innings, and had runners in scoring position in two of those innings. But, they didn’t convert until the twelfth when Mora and Cozens walked with one-out. After a wild pitch, Herlis Rodriguez was intentionally walked. This set the table for Tocci’s heroic at bat.
Kingery had 3 hits, a run scored, and an RBI. Tocci had 3 hits, a run scored, a double, and an RBI. Mora had 2 hits, 2 runs scored, and an RBI. Logan Moore threw out a base stealer.
This is the fifth win for the IronPigs over the Railriders in the past week. The IronPigs had to sweep a four-game series from Scranton just to qualify for the playoffs.
The results and remaining playoff schedule are –
- Lehigh Valley 6, Scranton 5 in 12 innings
- Home: Friday, Sept. 8, at 7:05 p.m. Elniery Garcia
- At Scranton: Saturday, Sept. 9 at 6:35 p.m. Henderson Alvarez
- At Scranton: Sunday, Sept. 10 at 6:35 p.m. Waguespack
- At Scranton: Monday, Sept. 11 at 1:05 p.m. Kilome
Williamsport beat State College, 6-1. Julian Garcia (4-5, 3.90) one-hit the Spikes for five innings. He walked three and struck out six. Damon Jones (4.85) gave up a run on 2 hits and 2 walks in two innings. Zach Warren pitched two scoreless innings allowing one hit and 2 walks. He and Jones each struck out two batters.
The Crosscutters built heir lead with a run in the second inning on a Nerluis Martinez ground out, two in the fourth on a Malvin Matos ground out and a wild pitch, and two in the sixth on Jake Scheiner’s 2-run HR (4). After the Spikes scored a run in the bottom of the seventh, the Cutters came right back and restored their 5-run lead with a run in the eighth on Brian Mims’ RBI single.
Jake Scheiner (.250) ended the season with a bang. He had 3 hits, 2 runs scored, a double, HR (4), and 2 RBI. Josh Stephen had a two-hit game. Greg Pickett went 1-2 with 3 runs scored and 2 walks.
The Crosscutters swept the 2-game series to finish the season 37-37.
The affiliate scoreboard.
- 9/6 – Phillies traded RHP Juan Nicasio to St. Louis Cardinals for 2B Eliezer Alvarez
- 9/6 – Phillies optioned 2B Eliezer Alvarez to Lehigh Valley
- 9/6 – RHP Tom Eshelman assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
- 9/6 – RHP Victor Arano assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
- 9/6 – SS Malquin Canelo assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
- 9/6 – RHP Franklyn Kilome assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
- 9/6 – LHP Elniery Garcia assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
- 9/6 – 3B Mitch Walding assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
- 9/6 – RHP Jacob Waguespack assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
- 9/6 – RHP Jose Taveras assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
- 9/6 – LHP Brandon Leibrandt assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
- 9/6 – RHP Colton Murray assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
- 9/6 – RHP Alexis Rivero assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
- 9/6 – Lehigh Valley activated RHP Mark Appel from the 7-Day DL
- 9/5 – Phillies placed CF Pedro Florimon on the 60-Day DL. Right ankle dislocation
- 9/5 – Phillies selected the contract of SS J.P. Crawford from Lehigh Valley
- 9/4 – Philadelphia Phillies activated RF Aaron Altherr
- 9/4 – CF Odubel Herrera assigned to Philadelphia Phillies
- 9/3 – Phillies sent 1B Brock Stassi outright to Lehigh Valley
- 9/3 – Phillies recalled RHP Jake Thompson from Lehigh Valley
- 9/3 – Phillies recalled CF Cameron Perkins from Lehigh Valley
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.
- The organization’s injury list is as up to date as I can make it.
- The organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list is as accurate as I can make it based on the information I was able to find.