Lehigh Valley rallied to win behind a stingy bullpen and a power surge led by four home runs and 6 doubles.
Reading shut down the opposition and won despite a couple ninth inning runs.
Clearwater scored a quick run and won the suspended game was restarted and won when rain brought it to an early end.
Lakewood scored early to support Medina’s shutout bid.
Lehigh Valley (43-21) scored in each of the first 6 innings to overcome a first inning deficit and beat Buffalo, 9-7.
Mark Leiter (6.92) got knocked around in the first inning and saw his ERA jump from 2.70 to almost 7.00. But, the bullpen held the Bisons to one hit over the last six innings. Colton Murray (2-0, 3.00) got the win with 4 strike outs in 2.0 innings. Pat Venditte (2.29) struck out 2 in 1.2 innings. Jesen Therrien (1.08) struck out 2 in 1.1 innings. And, Pedro Beato (1.78) picked up his 20th save with 2 strike outs in 1.0 inning.
The IronPigs pounded their way back into the game with 10 XBH among their 16 hits, including 4 home runs. Hector Gomez (.273) had 2 HR (7) and 3 RBI. Jorge Alfaro had 3 hits, 2 RBI, and a HR (4). Brock Stassi hit his first HR. In all, every IronPig collected a hit and 6 players had multi-hit games. Cameron Perkins and Jorge Flores had 2 doubles each. Pedro Florimon and Stassi also had 2 hits each. The offensive outburst occurred with Dylan Cozens, Rhys Hoskins, and Nick Williams adding just one hit each.
- #1 Crawford (.194): DNP
- #3 Alfaro (.266): 3-5 with a run scored, double, HR (4), 2 RBI (29)
- #4 Williams (.280): 1-5 with a run scored, RBI (40), K
- #6 Quinn (.274): 7-day DL
- #9 Cozens (.252): 1-4 with a runs scored, BB
- #12 Pivetta (5-0, 1.41): promoted to Phillies
- #13 Hoskins (.295): 1-5 with a double
- #16 Pinto (3-3, 4.88): DNP
- #19 Appel (4-2, 6.14): DNP
- #24 Lively (6-1, 2.40): promoted to the Phillies
- #29 Valentin (.229): 7-day DL
Reading (35-25) beat Bowie, 4-2.
Mario Sanchez (4-1, 2.66) pitched 6.2 scoreless innings giving up 6 hits and no walks. Austin Davis (1.10) was perfect for 1.1 innings. Alexis Rivero (3.24) made it interesting giving up 2 runs in the ninth.
Andrew Pullin got things started with a solo HR (13) in the first. Kyle Martin increased the lead with a 2-run HR (12) in the third. The Phils tacked on a run in the eighth on Chace Numata’s RBI single. Pullin led the attack with 4 hits, Carlos Tocci added two.
- #11 Kingery (.300): 0-5
- #17: El. Garcia: Restricted List, 80-Game suspension
- #21 Anderson (5-2, 3.77): DNP
- #22: Arano (1.42): DNP
- #23 Tocci (.289): 2-4 with a double
- #27 Canelo (.244): 0-4 with a K
- Pullin (.315): 4-5 with 2 runs scored, HR (13), RBI (40), K
Clearwater (35-29) picked up their suspended game in the bottom of the third with no score and play was again stopped by rain after the fifth inning. The game was called with the Threshers leading 1-0 over Lakeland. The second game will be made up Wednesday.
As sharp as Cole Irvin looked before the game was suspended Monday night, Blake Quinn looked the opposite. Where Irvin threw 29 pitches in three innings, Quinn labored through a 30-pitch fourth inning. Where Irvin allowed just one base runner on a single, Quinn battled himself as well as the Tigers allowing a single, 3 walks, and hitting a batter. To his credit, Quinn battled and did not allow a run.
When the game resumed, Emmanuel Marrero drew a lead off walk. Herlis Rodriguez sacrificed him over to second. A wild pitch allowed him to move over to third. And Damek Tomscha brought him home with an RBI double in his first game back after missing a week.
- # 5 Kilome (3-2, 2.60): DNP
- #10 Randolph (.228): 0-2
- #26 Ed. Garcia (1-1, 4.20): DNP
- #28 Pujols (.186): 1-2 with a K
- #30 Seranthony Dominguez (3-0, 2.02): rehabbing a shoulder injury in XST
Lakewood (35-30) beat Delmarva, 3-0.
Adonis Medina (2-5, 3.13) pitched 7.0, 3-hit innings. He walked 2 and struck out twelve. Will Hibbs (1.04) pitched 2.0 clean innings.
The BlueClaws scored two runs in the first on RBI doubles by Darick Hall and Henri Lartigue. They added a run in the fifth on Carlos Duran’s RBI triple. Raul Rivas (.261) and David Martinelli (.215) had 2-hit games. Martinelli also reached on a walk.
- #2 Moniak (.261): 0-4 with a K
- #7 Sanchez (2-2, 3.07): DNP
- #15 Medina (2-5, 3.13: 7.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 12 K
- #18 Brito (.236): 1-4
- #25 Romero (4-1, 2.26): DNP
Williamsport (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 19th at State College.
- #8 Gowdy
- #14 Stobbe
- #20 Ortiz
GCL Phillies (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 26th v. Yankees West.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Transactions (and paper moves):
- 6/13 – Phillies traded LHP Joely Rodriguez to Texas Rangers for Player To Be Named Later
- 6/13 – OF Osmel Aguila assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Fightin Phils
- 6/13 – LHP Tom Windle assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 6/13 – 3B Jose Antequera assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 6/11 – Phillies activated RHP Joaquin Benoit from the 10-day disabled list.
- 6/11 – Phillies placed 2B Cesar Hernandez on the 10-day disabled list. Strained left oblique
- 6/11 – RHP Sixto Sanchez assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 6/10 – Jacob Waguespack assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Clearwater Threshers
- 6/10 – Colton Murray assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Fightin Phils
- 6/10 – Tommy Bergjans assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Phillies Ext. Spring Training
- 6/10 – RHP Jose Taveras assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 6/10 – Ismael Cabrera assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Lakewood BlueClaws
- 6/9 – Phillies traded 3B Taylor Featherston to Tampa Bay Rays for cash
- 6/9 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs placed LF Roman Quinn on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to June 8, 2017
- 6/8 – Phillies designated LHP Joely Rodriguez for assignment
- 6/8 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Casey Fien from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 6/7 – LF Jiandido Tromp assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 6/7 – 1B Brock Stassi assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Fightin Phils
- 6/6 – RHP Ranfi Casimiro assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Reading Fightin Phils.
- 6/6 – RHP Tyler Frohwirth assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Clearwater Threshers
- 6/6 – LF Enmanuel Garcia assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 6/5 – Phillies optioned 1B Brock Stassi to Reading Fightin Phils
- 6/5 – Phillies recalled RHP Nick Pivetta from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 6/5 – RHP Jose Taveras assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Clearwater Threshers.
- 6/5 – LF Cord Sandberg assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 6/4 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs placed RHP Zach Eflin on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to June 3, 2017