Spring training coverage starts next week, but I was over at the Complex today and saw something of note that I wanted to share with you. I plan on going over everyday this week, so if I see anything else worth reporting, there may be more of these short reports.
I had heard that Larry Andersen was going to be on hand, visiting with the early reporting pitchers. However, the pitchers usually work out in seclusion and none were visible while I was there.
Several catchers and position players were on hand and took batting practice. The early reports included –
- Roman Quin who has been here fore quite a while. I first saw him before Phantasy Week.
- Andres Blanco who was here during Phantasy Week, but whom I was unable to identify until today.
- Greg Brodzinski who was also here during Phantasy Week.
- Tommy Joseph
- Aaron Altherr
- Jorge Alfaro
- Andrew Pullin
- Chace Numata
- Austin Bossart
- Luke Maglich
- Caleb Eldridge
Four or five coaches were watching them hit or pitching to the players. I recognized Roly de Armas, Shaun Williams, and Matt Stairs.
Among the things I felt newsworthy were (keep in mind this was BP off coaches) –
- Quinn was lacing line drives
- Alfaro was crushing balls over the left field fence
- Pullin transformed his body. He looks like the hulk across his shoulders. I didn’t recognize him at first. I thought he was one of the catchers.
- And, the scoreboard on Roberts has been installed.
I don’t put much stock on BP against coaches. It’s more a timing and muscle memory exercise than a results thing. So, I don’t pay strict attention. But I was curious to see how Quinn looked and equally curious in Alfaro who I had seen bash on Carlton Field while he was on rehab after he was acquired. When the other guys took their swings, I was talking to some of the other fans in attendance.