Tommy Joseph hit his first major league home run Tuesday night. He led off the second inning and fell behind 0-2 before hitting a 1-2 fastball off the screen attached to the left field fair pole. Joseph lined an 0-2 fastball to right for a single in his second at bat in the fourth inning. In the sixth inning, Joseph lined a single off yet another fastball to center field on a 3-2 pitch on the eighth pitch of the at bat. Marcel Ozuna misplayed the ball and Cesar Hernandez scored the Phillies’ third run while Joseph chugged into third. He struck out on a slider on the fourth pitch of his final at bat in the eighth inning. All three hits came off four-seam fastballs. So, in three games he has gone 4-10 with a HR (1), BB, RBI, and 4 K. Now for the bad news. The Phillies won’t see a left-handed starter until the Cubs’ series assuming we get Lester (5/27-29). although there might be DH opportunities in the Tiger’s series (5/23-25).
Lehigh Valley (20-18) Beat Syracuse, 5-4 in ten innings. Alec Asher threw six perfect innings before the “wheels came off” in the seventh. He gave up a double, single, and 2 home runs before retiring the second out of the inning. During the “meltdown”, he blew the four run lead his offense had provided. Asher only threw 88 pitches on the night, and if GameDay is accurate, he entered the seventh having thrown only 74. Michael Mariot made his first AAA rehab appearance. Luis Garcia got the win. Hunter, Sweeney, and Venable had multi-hit games. Hunter hit his third home run. Sweeney scored the winning run on a wild pitch with one out and Brock Stassi at the plate.
- Asher – 7.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 6 K, 99 pitches/58 strikes.
- Hunter (.280) went 2-5 with a HR (3), and RBI.
- Williams (.274) struck out as a pinch hitter.
- C Knapp (.245) went 1-4 with a BB.
- 1B Ruf went 1-4 with a BB and RBI.
- Perkins (.295) went 0-4 with a BB.
- Sweeney (.252) went 2-2 with a SF, 2 BB, and RBI.
- Stassi (.253) was at the plate as a pinch hitter when the game ended.
- Sweeney stole a base (2) and was caught stealing (5). Might need a don’t steal sign.
- Nina had 2 sac, one in the tenth inning.
Reading (25-13) Beat Bowie, 9-1. Nick Pivetta (4-2, 3.27) shut out the Baysox on 2 hits for seven innings. Tom Windle and Joely Rodriguez mopped up. Everybody hit, as the Phils amassed 15 hits. KC Serna had 4, Dylan Cozens had 2, and J.P. Crawford had 3 with 3 RBI. Jorge Alfaro and Jake Fox hit home runs.
- Pivetta – 7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 96 pitches/62 strikes.
- Quinn (.254) went 1-5 with a BB, RBI, and SB (17).
- Crawford (.262) went 3-6 with a double and 3 RBI.
- Alfaro (.362) went 1-6 with a HR (2), and RBI(15).
- Cozens (.291) went 2-5 with a double and RBI (27).
- Hoskins (.246) went 1-3 with a BB and HBP.
- Fox (.248) went 1-5 with a HR (7), and RBI (20).
- Serna (3.67) went 4-5 with 2 doubles.
- Valentin (.263) went 1-3 with a double, SF, BB, and 2 RBI.
- Quinn (17) stole a base.
- The Phils turned 2 DP, neither involved Crawford (Pivetta-Hoskins and Valentin-Hoskins).
Clearwater (25-13) Postponed, inclement weather. Double header tomorrow. Game One starts at 10:30 AM. Matt Imhof (4-1, 3.58) takes the mound. Ranfi Casimiro (4-2, 3.69) goes in game Two.
Lakewood (15-22) Lost to Hagerstown, 4-1. Tyler Gilbert struck out eight in seven innings. Marrero, Garcia, Pujols, and Tromp had multi-hit games.
- Gilbert – 7.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 8 K, 1 HR, 108 pitches/70 strikes.
- Marrero (.319) went 2-5.
- Tobias (.315) went 1-5 with a double.
- Garcia (.314) went 2-4.
- Pujols (.284) went 2-4.
- Grullon (.260) went 0-4.
- Hernandez (3) commited a throwing error.
- Grullon (5) was charged with 2 passed balls.
- Gilbert picked a runner off first base.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Extra Innings –
- 5/17 – Philadelphia Phillies sent RHP Michael Mariot on a rehab assignment to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- The Rosters are up to date here.