Terrible trend last night among the affiliates. Everybody found a way to lose late. Lehigh Valley and Clearwater scored late only to lose in walk offs. Reading gave up late runs after forging a tie to lose. And Lakewood blew a lead late and lost in extra innings. But the Phillies beat that Nats, so there’s that.
Lehigh Valley (10-9) Tied the game in the top of the ninth only to lose 4-3 in ten innings to Scranton. Reinier Roibal got the start in a “bull pen game” when Adam Morgan’s start was skipped. Andrew Knapp and Taylor Featherston hit home runs.
- Hoby Milner pitched 3.1 innings of relief, no hits, no BB, and 3 K.
- Featherston (.373) went 1-4 with a HR (2) and RBI.
- Knapp (.298) went 1-4 with a HR (3) and RBI. (and 2 K)
- Joseph (.391) went 1-4.
- Perkins (.381) went 1-4.
- Venable was CS.
- Knapp was charged with his 5th PB.
- Morgan is expected to be called up to start this weekend against Cleveland at CBP.
- Roibal was effective last season out of the bull pen for both Clearwater and Reading. So far this season, 3 of his 4 appearances have been as the starter in bull pen games. He has given up 3 earned runs in each start which lasted 3.0, 3.0, and 3.1 innings. I think it’s time to give up this approach. (BTW, he gave up 1 earned run in 1.1 innings in his only other appearance.)
Reading (12-7) Tied the game at 2 in the bottom of the sixth. But gave up 3 runs in the next two innings to drop a 5-2 decision to Akron. Ricardo Pinto pitched 6.0 effective, 6-hit, 2-run innings. Yacksel Rios was ineffective in his 1.0 inning and took the loss. Jesse Valentin had a 3-hit game, 1-RBI game.
- Pinto’s quality start – 6.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR.
- Rios – 1.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.
- Miguel Nunez in his first appearance for Reading – 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR.
- Jeremy Bleich’s intriguing line – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 0 K. He walked the bases loaded, got a 1-2-3 double play, and walked the next batter to re-load the bases. Before getting a fly ball to end the inning.
- The rubber duckies out hit the Phils, 13-6.
- Valentin (.302) went 3-4 with a double and RBI.
- Logan Moore threw out another base runner (but his AVG dropped to .094).
- Aaron Brown was picked off first.
Clearwater (13-6) Tied the game at 3 in the top of the eighth, but gave up a 2-run home run in the bottom of the ninth to lose at Daytona 5-3. Tom Eshelman pitched 6.0 innings and gave up 3 runs on 6 hits. Therrien took the loss. Kingery, Martin, and Rodriguez had 2-hit games. H-Rod had 2 RBI.
- Eshelman walked 3 batters.
- Kingery (.296) went 2-4 with a double and a BB.
- Sandberg (.317) went 1-5.
- Martin went 2-4 with a BB.
- Rodriguez went 2-3 with a double and 2 RBI.
- Tocci is 4-28 in his last 7 games and has seen his AVG drop to .240.
- Martin was CS.
- Canelo committed his 6th error.
Lakewood (4-15) Blew a 3-1 lead in the top of the eighth to Charleston. Gave up 4 runs in the top of the eleventh and lost 7-3. Tyler Gilbert gave up 1 run in 5.0 innings. Luis Morales made his debut and gave up 2 unearned runs in 2.2 innings, striking out four. Robert Tasin blew his 3rd save, Alejandro Arteaga took the loss, Alberto Tirado let 2 of 3 inherited runners score. Emmanuel Marrero, Wilson Garcia, and Jose Pujols had 2-hit games.
- Randolph wasn’t in the line up, he was put on the DL earlier in the day, shoulder strain.
- Gilbert’s line – 5.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K.
- Morales line – 2.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K.
- Tasin allowed one of one inherited runners to score.
- Tirado came in with the bases loaded and two outs. He allowed 2 of 3 his inherited runners to score on a walk and a hit batter.
- Marrero (.310) went 2-6 with an RBI.
- Garcia (.250) went 2-5.
- Pujols (.268) went 2-4 with a double and RBI.
- Jan Hernandez (.233) went 0-2 with 3 BB.
- Austin Bossart (.200) went 1-3 with 2 BB.
- Pujols stole his 1st base.
- Hernandez was picked off.
- Grenny Cumana committed 2 errors.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
I stopped by the Complex and watched one of the XST games. Will Stewart started for Roly de Armas’ team against the Yankees. He pitched pretty well. He threw 3.0 innings and only allowed 2 base runners, a ball hit to Brito at second that may or may not have been error and a walk. One of the runners was erased on a double play. (BTW, we voted 2-1 in favor of an error.)
Stewart struck out the game’s lead off batter (a lefty) on three nasty pitches. They had Diekman-like movement down and away from the batter. He struck out the last two batters he faced, both righties. One on an off speed pitch the other on a high fastball. All were swinging.His fastball was in the upper 80s.
The offense started a little slow. They made some early contact in the early innings, but had nothing to show for it. Then in the fourth, their hard hit balls started falling in. They gapped 4-5 balls into left center, and ripped a few through a soon-to-be gun-shy third baseman.
We became distracted when all of today’s transactions hit Twitter. I can’t say who got the hits, but everyone seemed to make hard contact at least once – Rivas, Brito, Espiritu, Rodriguez, Ortiz, Sweaney, Jimenez, Marchan, Matos, N. Martinez.
There were a lot of transactions Tuesday. The organization rosters have been updated.
Extra Innings –
- 4/22 – Lakewood BlueClaws placed OF Cornelius Randolph on the 7-day disabled list with a shoulder strain retroactive to April 22nd.
- 4/25 – Philadelphia Phillies sent Cedric Hunter outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs. (That leaves just 39 players on the 40-man roster.)
- 4/26 – RHP Miguel Nunez assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Clearwater Threshers.
- 4/26 – RHP Ulises Joaquin assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Reading Fightin Phils.
- 4/26 – Clearwater Threshers placed RHP Jairo Munoz on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to April 24, 2016.
- 4/26 – 2B Derek Campbell assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 4/26 – RHP John Richy assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Williamsport Crosscutters. He has been inserted into the rotation behind Imhof and is scheduled to pitch Thursday in Daytona, pushing Casimiro and Garcia back to the weekend. Sunday’s starter is TBD.
- 4/26 – OF Damek Tomscha assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Clearwater Threshers.
- 4/26 – Kenny Koplove assigned to Phillies Ext. Spring Training from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 4/26 – Luis Morales assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters.