Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.
The Phillies had a 5-5 record going into this weekend’s series against the Washington Nationals. They had received good starting pitching, improved relief pitching, and some timely if not consistent hitting. And then reality set in.
The Nationals outscored the Phillies 17-2 in the first two games of the series. Both runs came on solo home runs. But Morton pitched well today, and the Phillies’ favorite ex-Phillie blew a save and suffered the loss in ten innings.
- In spite of Galvis’ game winning double, I read a lot of tweets today that focused on the ineffectiveness of the Phillies’ leadoff batters. This from Meghan Montemurro, “Phillies’ leadoff hitters are batting .132 with .170 slugging pct. and .299 OPS – worse than any spot in their batting order, including 9th”.
- The Phillies have the worst average and on base percentage in the NL.
- The Phillies are the only team with more caught stealings than stolen bases.
- Phillies batters are among the lowest in walks and creeping toward the top in Ks.
- They have scored the fewest runs in the NL.
- The Phillies have turned a league low 4 DPs.
- Opponents have been successful on 3 of only 4 SB attempts.
- The pitching has been pretty good. They are 5th in the NL with a 3.86 ERA. They are 4th with a .219 BA against and 1.14 WHIP.
- Their 128 K is tops in the league. Their 37 BB are 6th fewest..
For those who don’t think it’s to early to worry about this, the Phillies 6-7 record would place them around 13th. That’s that unenviable spot in the middle ten between protected pick and the playoffs.
Last week I brought up the strike called on Dylan Cozens for stepping out of the batter’s box during a game against Daytona. A couple readers weren’t aware that the rule was actually being enforced. Here’s video of a one-pitch strike out from 2013. And a story about the same incident. In the video, you can see the umpire begin to point to the batter’s box after the second strike just before the camera cuts to the pitcher.
Organization rosters for all full season teams have been updated from the affiliates’ web sites. They have been added as a selection on the Rosters selection on the menu.
Prior Week’s Transactions:
- 4/17 – Severino Gonzalez assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 4/16 – Severino Gonzalez assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Fightin Phils
- 4/16 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs placed 2B Carlos Alonso on the 7-day disabled list. fractured jaw
- 4/15 – RHP Gregory Infante assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 4/15 – Lakewood BlueClaws placed C Deivi Grullon on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to April 12, 2016.
- 4/15 – C Wilson Garcia assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws
- 4/14 – Daniel Stumpf placed on the Restricted List. He was suspended for 80 games after testing positive for a banned substance (dehydrochlormethyltestosterone).
- 4/14 – Elvis Araujo recalled from Lehigh Valley.