Here’s an open discussion thread so the minor league posts don’t get cluttered with Phillies’ talk and other topics.
- Several names have been mentioned by the media as candidates for the Phillies’ GM position – Matt Klentak of the Angels front office, Kim Ng of the Commissioner’s office, Thad Levine of the Rangers front office, Ben Cherington formerly Boston’s GM, and Royals assistant GM J.J. Piccolo. Ng is rumored to be in line for an interview. Indians executive Ross Atkins is said to have interviewed this week. Former Marlins GM Larry Beinfest is supposed to have interviewed a few weeks ago.
- The Phillies made another offseason decision this week when seven players cleared waivers and were outrighted off their 40-man roster. No real surprises here – RHPs Justin De Fratus and Jonathan Pettibone, LHP Adam Loewen and Ken Roberts, C Erik Kratz, INF Chase d’Arnaud, and OF Jordan Danks. De Fratus, d’Arnaud, and Kratz have already opted for free agency.
- The moves pare the 40-Man Roster down to 34 active players and six players on the 60-Day DL who will be activated within five days of the conclusion of the World Series. Those six include Cliff Lee who will become a free agent when his option is declined and the Phillies buy out his contract for $12.5M, Chad Billingsley whose contract will expire, Matt Harrison who remains under contract through 2017 plus an option for 2018, Cesar Hernandez, Mario Hollands, and Elvis Araujo.
- The roster moves also avoid arbitration with DeFratus, Kratz, and Loewen. The Philies have four other arb eligible players – Andres Blanco, Jeanmar Gomez, Domonic Brown, and Freddy Galvis.
- Aaron Harang and Jerome Williams become free agents. As does non-roster pitcher Sean O’Sullivan who has declared free agency.