Clearwater (67-53) lost to the Dunedin Blue Jays 10-2. Victor Arano (4-11, 4.95) retired six of seven batters through the first two innings. Then he reverted to his early season form after a couple of ground ball singles to the bottom of the Blue Jays order. As has happened in the past, the Jays batters teed off on Arano when they saw him for the second time. After a couple hard hit balls, he further lost control firing a wild pitch, hitting a batter, and throwing another wild pitch. One barely cleared the grass cutout of the infield ten feet in front of home plate. Then came the extra base hits. First a double, then a home run by Dickie Joe Thon (son of Dickie Thon). And so, after seven runs Arano was mercifully relieved. Cody Forsythe came in to get the final out on one pitch. And the attention of a lot of fans in the suites turned to the Colts-Eagles game in anticipation of Tim Tebow’s return to a playing field.
- Malquin Canelo (.234) went 0-3 with an RBI.
- Carlos Tocci (.267) went 0-4.
- Andrew Pullin (.254) went 0-3 and was HBP..
- Rhys Hoskins (.301) went 1-4.
- Dylan Cozens (.278) went 2-4 with a run scored.
- Aaron Brown (.245) went 1-3 with a run scored and a walk.
- Mitch Walding went 2-4 with a double and RBI.
- League leading hitter, Willians Astudillo (.327) was not in the line up.
- Cozens stole his team leading 15th base.
- Alexis Rivero came in with a runner on third and gave up an RBI single on his first pitch.
- Ulises Joaquin hit a batter in the helmet with a 95 mph fastball. The player had to leave the game, with assistance.
Lehigh Valley (54-69) lost to the Pawtucket Red Sox 7-1. David Buchanan gave up three runs in 5.1 innings. Dailier Hinojosa came in and stranded a runner while ending the sixth. However, he faced five batters in the seventh without recording an out. Chris Leroux let one of his two inherited runners score on a double play. Leroux didn’t allow a base runner in the three innings he pitched.
- Brian Bosusevic (.293) went 2-4.
- Aaron Altherr (.294) went 3-4 with a double.
- Kelly Dugan (.220) went 0-4.
- Tommy Joseph (.136) went 0-3 with a run scored.
- Logan Moore (.287) went 1-3 with a walk.
Reading (69-51) beat the Trenton Thunder 2-0. Ethan Martin (2-0, 4.33) tossed five, two-hit innings, walking one and striking out three. Hoby Milner and Jimmy Cordero each allowed a hit over the next three innings. And Stephen Shackleford earned his 28th save.
The Phils faced some tough pitching from the Thunder and made the most of their limited opportunities. In the third inning, Harold Martinez created their first run with a ground single to right. He moved to second on a ground out to short and stole third. He scored on a throwing error by the catcher. Nick Williams and J.P. Crawford produced the second run on back-to-back triples. The Phils had four base runners the rest of the way.
- Nick Williams (.377) went 1-4 with a run scored and a triple.
- J.P. Crawford (.253) went 2-4 with a triple and RBI.
- Cam Perkins (.260) DNP.
- Brock Stassi (.305) went 1-4.
- Andrew Knapp (.401) went 1-4.
- Destin Hood (.281) went 0-4.
- Angelo Mora (.323) went 1-4.
- Harold Martinez (.304) went 1-3 with a run scored.
- Knapp threw out one of 3 base stealers.
Lakewood (61-56) lost to the Delmarva Shorebirds 4-2. Tyler Viza (4-8, 3.53) gave up all four runs (2 ER) on seven hits in five innings. He walked one and struck out nine. The Claws scored a run on a bases loaded double play in the seventh that pretty much killed that rally.
- Herlis Rodriguez (.303) went 1-5.
- Drew Stankiewicz (.240) went 2-4 with a double and a run scored.
- Scott Kingery (.259) went 1-4.
- Kyle Martin (.289) went 1-3 with a walk and 2 K.
- Cord Sandberg (.257) went 0-4.
- Lakewood committed 4 errors.
Williamsport (35-21) lost to the Mahoning Valley Scrappers 7-2. Franklyn Kilome had some control issues as he threw two wild pitches and hit two batters on his way to the loss. He gave up five runs (4 ER) on three hits, two strike outs, and no walks. Anthony Sequeira came in and let the inherited runner score plus one of his own before rcording an out. Feliberto Sanchez gave up a solo home run in two innings.
The Cutters provided Kilome with a two-run lead on Jan Hernandez’ two-run home run in the second.
- Zachary Coppola (.298) went 1-5.
- Mark Laird (.280) went 1-4.
- Josh Tobias (.314) went 1-4.
- Jose Pujols (.242) DNP.
- Venn Biter (.275) went 0-3 with a run scored.
- Jan Hernandez (.212) went 1-4 with a HR (9).
- Jesus Posso (.264) went 0-4.
- Austin Bossart (.367) went 2-4.
GCL Phillies (28-17) No game scheduled
There is no wild card, only the four division winners qualify for the playoffs.
- GCL Blue Jays 29 15 .659 — —
- GCL Phillies 28 17 .622 1.5 15
- GCL Pirates 26 19 .578 3.5 13
- GCL Yankees1 14 26 .366 12.5 6
The Phillies play 3 double headers in the last two weeks of the season. They play 5 games this week against the Astros and Braves (teams with sub-.500 records). Their final 10 games are within their division, 4 against the first place Blue Jays, and 4 against the cellar dwelling Yankees.
- Arquimedes Gamboa (.214).
- Jonathan Arauz (.266) .
- DH “C” Randolph (.288) .
- Luis Encarnacion (.296) .
- Luke Williams (.300) I.
- Greg Pickett .
- Jose Antequera (.292) .
DSL Phillies (36-30) No game scheduled.
The Phillies have six games remaining. They have been eliminated from the Wild Card. They are in a two-way tie for third, 4.0 games behind the first place team.
- DSL Astros Blue 40 26 —
- DSL Indians 37 29 3.0
- DSL Phillies 36 30 4.0
- DSL Rays 36 30 4.0
VSL Phillies (30-40) Season completed. Finished tied for third with the VSL Cubs in a four team league.
- Their leading hitter was Enger Jimenez – .307, 36 R, 33 RBI, 15 SB.
- Jimenez was second on the team with three HR.
- Lenin Rodriguez led the team with four HR.
- Sergio Velis (4-2, 1.33) was their best pitcher – 74.2 IP, 50 H, 14 BB, 59 K, 0.86 WHIP.
Here’s the affiliated scoreboard from MiLB.
Extra Innings –
- Chris Leroux assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Fightin Phils.
- Colton Murray assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs placed RHP Jason Berken on the temporarily inactive list.
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs activated 3B Cord Phelps from the temporarily inactive list.