Lehigh Valley beat Rochester, 6-5. Franco? Franco? Well after getting rid of that dead weight, the IronPigs are 1-1 without Franco, 11-24 with. Just sayin’. A lot of guys not named Asche and Brown had multi-hit games – Canzler, McGuiness, Danks, and Phelps. Really, without Franco there’s little reason to check the ‘Pigs box score. J-Rod got the win with a 9 H and 3 R effort in 5.2, H-Ner gave got a hold giving up 2 R in a 2.1, and C-Jim got his first save. Oh, Asche and Brown each went 1-5. Brown not Asche with a fielding error.
Reading lost to Erie, 7-5 when the back end of the bullpen couldn’t protect a 4-3 lead in the eighth. Biddle had a rough outing, you bashers can go to town in the comments section below. Ogando blew the save with a home run to the first batter in the eighth. In true closer fashion, Shackleford could not respond well in a tie game and took the loss, giving up 3 runs in the ninth. Quinn went 2-3, 2 SB (that’s 19). Stassi went 2-5 with 3 RBI that’s 30, what-what?). Altherr went 2-5. Cam Perkins drew 2 walks (for real, 8 BB, 12 K in 104 AB). Newcomer Blake Forsythe caught and went 1-4.
Clearwater walked off in the tenth against division-leading Daytona, 4-3 after Joaquin blew his second save in the ninth.
- Mark Leiter had another superb outing going 7.0 IP allowing 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, and 7 K. He has a 5-pitch mix – FB, CH, CB, CU, SP. Sixty-five of his pitches registered 89-92 with the bulk of those at 90-91. HIs S/B actually got better in his final 3 innings – 8/4, 12/4, 9/4. He mixes his speeds well, keeping batters off balance. He induced a lot of swing-and-miss, a lot more than I usually see down here – 13, 5 for Ks.
- Jesen Therrien saw his first action and got a hold. He only threw 6 pitches and a Crawford 6-3 DP erased one of the 2 base hits. JT hit 93-94 on half of his pitches.
- Joaquin walked his first batter on 4 pitches (grrr). A single put the tying runners on. After 2 Ks, a single up the middle brought in the second run. Brown made a questionable throw to third to get the tying run that got through and allowed the tying run to score and the go-ahead run to reach third. Joaquin retired the next batter and hung around for the win. He struck out 4 in 2 innings. He was 93-95.
- Crawford was 2-5 and scored the game-winning run. He reached base on a one-out single in the tenth and alertly moved to second when the pitcher was charged with a throwing error when he thought time had been called. He scored on a Knapp single after pinch-hitter Astudillo had been intentionally walked. Knapp stroked his game winner right-handed.
- Stankiewicz and Brown went 2-4. Walding went 3-4. Brown and Walding each doubled.
- I spoke with Pullin after the game on the field. He was in uniform , no spikes, and in the dugout before/during the game. He did not take part in pre-game warm-ups. (It was prostate cancer awareness night and and game-worn jerseys were auctioned off. My wife successfully bid on Mark Leiter’s jersey. I took advantage of the on-field photo-op to ask Pullin about his status.) He says he feels better, but is day-to-day. He hopes to play tomorrow. He was vague about the body part injured.
Lakewood beat Kannapolis, 7-5. Chris Oliver had a so-so start but was in line for the win until Scott Harris blew the save with a 3-run eighth. Alexis Rivero picked up the win. Sandberg, Tocci, and H. Rodriguez all went 3-5 with a double. Damek Tomscha went 4-5 with 3 doubles and 3 RBI. Tocci also had 2 RBI and an outfield assist at third. Deivi Grullon had a pickoff and went 1-2 on base stealers.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Extra Innings –
- Maikel Franco got his first hit, run, and walk (and K) of the season with the Phillies.
- Norfolk Tides traded Jayson Nix to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- Clearwater Threshers activated LHP Yoel Mecias from the 7-day disabled list.
- Clearwater Threshers placed 2B Devin Lohman on the 7-day disabled list.
- Will Morris assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Phillies Extended Spring Training.
- Lakewood BlueClaws placed RHP Matt Hockenberry on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to May 13, 2015.