Lehigh Valley lost to Gwinnett, 5-1. Adam Morgan pitched well through 7.0 innings. He struck out 2 batters in the top of the 8th, but a Tommy Joseph passed ball put a runner on first. After a walk, Morgan’s night was over, but not his line. Seth Rosin allowed both inherited runners to score as well as two of his own. Maikel Franco went 1 for 4 and now has a base hit in 23 of the 28 games in which he has played.
Reading lost to Erie again, this time 10-9. It seems that a team with the starting rotation Reading has should have more than two losses to show for games when the team scores 7 and 9 runs on successive nights. Tonight, it was Ben Lively’ turn to struggle. Altherr and Charles had 3-hit games. Quinn, KC Serna, and Brodie Greene had 2 hit games. Logan Moore went 1-3 with 2 RBI, Art Charles had 2 HR and 3 RBI. Quinn stole his 12th base. Brian Pointer has 21 Ks in 49 AB (42.857%).
Clearwater beat division leader Daytona, 7-0, behind Mark Leiter’s 6.2 innings of 4-hit, shutout ball. The Threshers took two of three from the Tortugas and outscored them 14-4. Threshers’ starters allowed those 4 runs over 21.2 innings, and the bullpen closed out with 4.1 shutout innings. Andrew Pullin went 3-5 with a double and 2 RBI. Mitch Walding went 2-4 with a double. Chase Harris went 3-4 with a double. Carlos Duran got his first professional hit (well, above GCL), 2 walks, 2 RBI, and another successful sacrifice. Willians Astudillo extended his hit streak to 10 in his last at bat. J.P Crawford had his fourth 2-hit game since his return, and 2 RBI. J.P. has also walked in each game.
Lakewood lost to Asheville, 3-0. Chris Oliver took the loss. The offense suffered a 6-hit, 9-inning shutout by Tourists’ starter, Zach Jemiola. Rhys Hoskins went 2-3. Chase Numata was activated and was the DH.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Extra Innings –
- Chace Numata assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Clearwater Threshers.
- Corey Bass assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- Lakewood BlueClaws placed 2B Tim Zier on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to May 7, 2015. Right shin contusion.
- Reading Fightin Phils placed C Rene Garcia on the 7-day disabled list. left oblique strain.
- Over in XST, they’ve cut down from two games to one the past two days. They may be running low on healthy bodies. I have heard that Jan Hernandez and Venn Biter are banged up. Neither was in uniform at the Complex
- Looks like pitchers are being stretched to start. Yesterday Arteaga and Jose Tavares each threw 4 innings. Sorry, no velo.
- Today, Seranthony Dominguez (93-96 in the second, 91-94 in the fourth) threw four innings. Luis Morales (90-91) was supposed to throw four but was pulled after 3.2.
- Luis Encarnacion’s hard contact looks a little better.
- The youngsters were shutdown by the Jays second pitcher, their #3 prospect, Jeff Hoffman.