With the trade deadline quickly approaching, its time to clear some space for what most of us hope will be incoming talent when (if) the Phils rid themselves of pieces that can be used by other teams. A couple of these are no brainers, others not so much…
1. Grady SIzemore to Phils–Absolutely no reason that Sizemore should spend any more time at AAA. He is a major league player and can certainly help the abysmal production from the Phillies OF. The release of Tony Gwynn, Jr is the likely corresponding move.
2. Lee Ridenhour to Reading–Ridenhour has pitched very well as the Threshers closer over the last two months. As a soon to be 25 year old, its time to move him up.
3. Willians Astudillo to CLearwater–What more do we really need to see of Astudillo at Lakewood? He mashes Low A pitching. With Knapp catching every day now, the only position at which Astudillo has a legitimate major league shot is filled. Let him move on and share AB’s with Lino and DH in CLearwater.
4. Jiandido Tromp to Lakewood–There is talent that needs consistent challenge. Plenty of Cutters outfielders need AB’s and Tromp has the immediate ability to play above the level of short season ball.
5. Jason Marquis to the Phils–Coming off Tommy John surgery, Marquis has allowed 1ER in 3 starts spanning 18 innings for Lehigh Valley. He has struck out 18 in those 18 innings. Believe it or not, I hear that teams think that Kyle Kendrick could be a useful part down the stretch for a contending team. Jason Marquis and Kyle Kendrick will provide major league results that are very similar. Take what you can get for Kendrick (who will be a free agent at seasons end), plug Marquis into the rotation for a team going nowhere and smile that you got a warm body for Kendrick.
Commence the debate and criticism.