The winner of the third annual Phuture Phillies, James’ Hitting Award is Alec Bohm.
The winner of the third annual Phuture Phillies, James’ Pitching Award is Spencer Howard.
Both awards are named after Phuture Phillies’ founder and benefactor, James.
The Phillies announced their 2019 Paul Owens’ Award winners for best hitter and best pitcher in the minor leagues – Alec Bohm and Ethan Lindow.
Previous winners of the James’ Awards were –
- 2018: Adam Haseley and co-winners Cole Irvin and David Parkinson
- 2017: Rhys Hoskins, and co-winners Tom Eshelman and Sixto Sanchez.
This is the first year we didn’t have co-winners for the pitcher’s award.
In this year’s Phuture Phillies fan vote, Bohm and Howard were runaway winners. Bohm garnered over 90% of the 84 votes cast. Three players received the other 5 votes.
Howard collected over 75% of the 89 votes cast. Damon Jones was second with over 10% of the votes cast. Seven other pitchers received votes.
Here are our ballot tallies.
Hitters Poll (84 total votes)
- Alec Bohm – 79 votes, 94.0%
- Deivy Grullon – 2 votes, 2.4%
- Josh Stephen – 2 votes, 2.4%
- Arquimedes Gamboa – 1 vote, 1.2%
Pitchers Poll (89 total votes)
- Spencer Howard – 67 votes, 75.3%
- Damon Jones – 10 votes, 11.2%
- Connor Seabold – 3 votes, 3.4%
- Connor Brogdon – 2 votes, 2.2%
- Kyle Glogoski – 2 votes, 2.2%
- David Parkinson – 2 votes, 2.2%
- Jakob Hernandez – 1 vote, 1.1%
- Cole Irvin – 1 vote, 1.1%
- Ethan Lindow – 1 vote, 1.1%
Once again, polling is a skill that some people just don’t have, or take seriously. Even with an explanation and fake names, at least 16 “people” still couldn’t figure out how to cast the requested write-in vote correctly. I deleted all responses when I made the poll functional. So, all non-write-n votes were intentional.
The rest of the voting process went well. The only questionable vote was that for an “Arquemides gamboa” at 6:26 AM on Wednesday, October 9th.
It was nice to see Grullon and Stephen get some recognition for their outstanding seasons.
Once again, participation this year was lower than last year.