Matt Vierling has been selected the #27 prospect in the Phillies’ organization.
Vierling received 41 of the 175 votes cast (23.43%). Dominic Pipkin received 32 votes (18.29%). Rodolfo Duran received 20 votes (11.43%). Ben Pelletier received 13 votes (7.43%). And, Jose Pujols received 12 votes (6.86%). Fourteen guys shared the other 57 votes.
The Phillies selected Matt Vierling in the 5th round of the 2018 Amateur Draft out of Notre Dame. He signed on June 12th for slightly under full slot.
Vierling was assigned to Williamsport and tore through the New York – Penn League’s pitching. In 12 games, he had hits in 11 and multi-hit games in seven. He posted a slash of .420/.453/.580/1.033 in 53 plate appearances. He walked 3 times and struck out twice.
Vierling was promoted to Lakewood. In 204 plate appearances, he posted a slash of .293/.342/.473/.814 with 24 runs scored, 15 doubles, 6 HR, 25 RBI, 10 walks (4.9%) and 38 strike outs (18.6%).
Vierling was drafted after his junior year. Here’s some pre-draft information.
Honors and Awards:
- MLB Draft Pick (2018 – 5th round, 137th overall by Philadelphia Phillies)
- College Baseball Daily Preseason All-ACC Team (2018)
- Perfect Game Preseason All-ACC (2018)
- Second Team All-ACC (2018)
- MLB Draft Pick (2015 – 30th round by St. Louis Cardinals)
- Third Team All-ACC (2017)
- Monogram winner (2016)
Junior Season (2018):
- Preseason All-ACC by Perfect Game
- Preseason All-ACC honorable mention by College Baseball Daily
- Started all 54 games
- Tied for the team lead in home runs (10) and total bases (106)
- Led the team with 65 hits, second with .310 batting average, 43 RBIs, .505 SLG
- 5-for-5 in stolen base attempts
Sophomore Season (2017):
- Post-season All-ACC
- Led team with .330 batting average, .549 SLG, 42 RBI, and 7 HR
- Fifth in the ACC with 4 triples and eighth with 20 doubles
- Made 10 pitching appearances with 2 saves
- Led team with 22 multi-hit games and 11 multi-RBI games
- Started all 58 games, reached base in 50 of 58 games
- 3 RBI on 5 occasions
Freshman Season (2016):
- Started 54 games as an outfielder, made 10 pitching appearances
- Fifth on the team with a .258 average, second with 6 HR, and 29 RBI
- Posted a 3.60 ERA in 10 innings pitched, striking out 12
- Recorded four three-hit games
- Entered season rated No. 48 freshman in the country by Perfect Game
High School (Christian Brothers):
- Earned 4 varsity letters in baseball, 1 in football, 1 in basketball
- Rated the #163 draft prospect by Baseball America and #229 by Perfect Game
- Rated the #1 high school player in Missouri by Prep Baseball report
- Rated the #2 among all prospects in Missouri by Perfect Game
- Rated #30 outfielder in the nation and #134 player overall by Perfect Game
- Hit .451 as a senior with 3 HR and 32 RBI
- Posted an 8-0 record with a 2.07 ERA and 56 strikeouts in 44 innings
- Entered senior season as Central Region All-High School and third team High School Preseason All-American by Perfect Game
- Class 5-A state title as a senior, playing shortstop alongside brother, Mark, who played second base
- Named Metro Catholic Conference Player of the Year, first team all-conference, first team all-state, Prep Baseball Report Missouri Player of the Year, USA Today Missouri Player of the Year and ABCA/Rawlings All-Region Five as a senior
- Hit .430 with five home runs and 34 RBI while posting a 4-1 mark with a 1.69 ERA and 26 strikeouts in 29 innings as a junior, earning first team all-conference honors
- Entered junior year as a Perfect Game Preseason High School Underclassman All-American
- Recorded a .309 average with two homers and 13 RBI as a sophomore while adding a 6-0 mark with a 2.65 ERA and 31 strikeouts in 37 innings
- Started sophomore year as honorable mention preseason high school underclassmen All-American from Perfect Game
- Named second team all-conference as a sophomore while helping team to runner-up finish at state tournament
- Named honorable mention all-conference as a freshman after hitting .284
- Played summer ball for the St. Louis Gamers, helping team to No. 9 national ranking by Perfect Game in summer of 2013
- Born in St. Louis, Missouri
- Uncle was a 1982 Notre Dame graduate
- Father played football at Kansas
The poll for the next prospect will be posted in a separate thread.
Here are the complete results for this poll.