The Hot Stove Season continues. Tuesday is the deadline for organizations to expand and submit their 40-man rosters prior to the Rule 5 Draft.
This does not mean that a 40-man roster can’t change before the Rule 5 Draft. Free agent signings and some types of player trades will require that players be added to a team’s 40-man roster. So, in some cases where there isn’t an empty spot on a 40-man roster, a player might find himself designated for assignment.
The owners’ meetings were held last week in Atlanta, GA. As expected, no specific free
agent signings or trades were announced. However, John Middleton made news when he confirmed the Phillies’ intention to spend big money during offseason, telling USA Today Sports that “We’re going into this expecting to spend money. And maybe even be a little bit stupid about it.” He quickly added, “We just prefer not to be completely stupid.”
That is good news for Phillies’ fans as the Phils are linked with every big name abvailable on the free agent market – guys like Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Patrick Corbin, J.A. Happ, and Craig Kimbrel.
The owners extended Commissioner Rob Manfred’s contract through the 2024 season. As commissioner, Manfred concluded a new collective bargaining agreement between MLB and the MLBPA through the 2021 season.
Manfred went on to announce the new multi-year rights agreement between MLB and Fox Sports for the post-season and all star games thru 2028.
No rule changes were disclosed. Perhaps those will come just before spring training after leaks so that union, media, and public reaction can be gauged.
The Phillies announced an addition to their coaching staff. Lehigh Valley’s Dave Lundquist will be the Phillies’ assistant pitching coach. He fills the spot vacated when Chris Oliver was promoted into Rick Kranitz’s position earlier this week.
This is the Phuture Phillies Open Discussion for Phillies and other baseball topics.
- October 9, 2018 – Opening Day for the Arizona Fall League (AFL)
- October 12, 2018 – Opening Day for the Mexican Winter League (MPL)
- October 12, 2018 – Opening Day for the Venezuelan Winter League (LVBP)
- October 13, 2018 – Opening Day for the Dominican Winter League (LIDOM)
- October 22, 2018 – Opening Day for the Nicaraguan Winter League (LNBP)
- October 29, 2018, 9:00 AM – “Following the completion of the term of his Uniform Player’s Contract, any Player with 6 or more years of Major League service who has not executed a contract for the next succeeding season shall become a free agent.” Organizations began an exclusive five-day negotiation window (referred to as “the quiet period” in the CBA) with their own free agents. During “the quiet period” any Club representative and any free agent or his representative may talk with each other and discuss the merits of the free agent contracting, when eligible; provided that the Club and the free agent shall not negotiate terms or contract with each other. The following subjects are among those which may properly be discussed between any Club and such Player:
- (i) the Player’s interest in playing for the Club, and the Club’s interest in having the Player play for it;
- (ii) the Club’s plans about how it intends to utilize the Player’s services (as a starting pitcher or reliever, as a designated hitter or not, platooning, etc.);
- (iii) the advantages and disadvantages of playing for the Club including the nature of the organization, the climate of the city, availability of suitable housing, etc.;
- (iv) length of contract;
- (v) guarantee provisions; and
- (vi) no-trade or limited no-trade provisions.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing, the free agent and his former Club may engage in negotiations and enter into a contract during “the quiet period”.
- November 2nd of the last year of a player’s Minor League Uniform Player Contract, the player’s Minor League Uniform Player Contract shall expire and the player shall become a ‘Minor League free agent’ unless the player’s Major or Minor League club has remaining options to renew the contract. (Major League Rule 55)
- According to Major League Rule 3(b), “All Minor League Uniform Player Contracts between either a Major or a Minor League Club and a player who has not previously signed a contract with a Major or a Minor League Club shall be for a term of seven Minor League playing seasons.”
- November 2, 2018, 5:00 PM – Deadline for organizations to submit qualifying offers to their free agents. This year’s QO is $17.9M.
- This is also the deadline for organizations to exercise any club/mutual options.
- November 2, 2018 – Free agents become eligible to sign with any team.
- November 2, 2018 – Opening Day for the Columbian Winter League (LCBP)
- November 6-8, 2018 – GM meetings, Carlsbad, CA.
- November 12, 2018, 5:00 PM – Deadline for players to accept/reject qualifying offers. Those who decline will become free agents.
- November 14-15, 2018 – Owners Meetings in Atlanta , GA.
- November 15, 2018 – Opening Day for the Puerto Rican Winter League (LBPRC)
- November 15, 2018 – Opening Day for the Australian Baseball League (ABL)
- November 17, 2018 – Last game of the Arizona Fall League (AFL)
- November 20, 2018 – Deadline for roster expansion to 40 players prior to the Rule 5 draft.
- November 26-29: MLBPA Executive Board Meeting, Dallas, TX
- November 30, 8:00 PM EST – Deadline for teams to tender contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters, including arbitration-eligible players. Non-tendered players become free agents. Tendered players who are arbitration eligible who do not accept the tender proceed to the arbitration process in February.
- December 9-13, 2018 – Winter Meetings in Las Vegas, Nevada
- December 13, 2018 – Rule 5 draft.
- January 11, 2019 – Salary arbitration filing deadline
- February 1-20, 2019 – Salary arbitration hearings
- TBA – (last year on February 14) – pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training (tentative: report on 2/13, first work out 2/14)
- TBA – (last year on February 19) – all other players report for full squad workouts (tentative: report on 2/18, first work out 2/19)
- TBA – Minor League Spring Training begins
- February 22, 2019 – Phillies’ 2019 spring training opener at Tampa Bay (TBD)
- February 23, 2019 – Phillies’ 2019 spring home opener v. Pittsburgh (1:05 PM)
- February 24, 2019 – at Detroit (1:05 PM)
- February 25, 2019 – v. Detroit (1:05 PM)
- TBA – (last year on February 27th) – tentative start of minor league spring training.
- February 26, 2019 – at NY Yankees (TBD)
- February 27, 2019 – v. Minnesota (1:05 PM)
- February 28, 2019 – Split Squad v. Baltimore (1:05 PM), at Toronto (1:07 PM)
- March 1, 2019 – v. Pittsburgh (1:05 PM)
- March 2, 2019 – at Tampa Bay (TBD)
- March 3, 2019 – at Minnesota (1:05 PM)
- March 4, 2019 – off day
- March 5, 2019 – v. St. Louis (1:05 PM)
- March 6, 2019 – at Toronto (1:07 PM)
- March 7, 2019 – Split Squad v. NY Yankees (1:05 PM), at Detroit (1:05 PM)
- March 8, 2019 – at Atlanta (6:05 PM)
- March 9, 2019 – v. Toronto (1:05 PM)
- March 10, 2019 – at Baltimore (TBD)
- March 11, 2019 – v. Tampa Bay (1:05 PM)
- March 12, 2019 – off day
- March 13, 2019 – at NY Yankees (TBD)
- March 14, 2019 – Split Squad at Pittsburgh (1:05 PM), at Tampa Bay (TBD)
- March 15, 2019 – v. Toronto
- March 16, 2019 – v. Houston
- March 17, 2019 – v. NY Yankees (ss)
- March 18, 2019 – at St. Louis
- March 19, 2019 – at Houston
- March 20, 2019 – v. Detroit
- March 21, 2019 – v. Toronto
- March 22, 2019 – at NY Yankees
- March 23, 2019 – at Pittsburgh (ss)
- March 24, 2019 – v. Baltimore (ss)
- March 25, 2019 – v. Tampa Bay
- March 28, 2019 – Phillies’ 2019 season home opener v. Atlanta (3:05)
The rosters and lists are up to date.
- organization’s rosters
- organization’s injury list
- organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list (includes player info, assignments, …)
10/29/18 – C Wilson Ramos elected free agency
10/29/18 – RF Jose Bautista elected free agency
10/29/18 – LHP Aaron Loup elected free agency