Lehigh Valley lost.
Reading won in ten innings behind five shutout innings from its bullpen.
Clearwater lost when their veteran relievers coughed up 14 runs in a tie game.
Lakewood blew a lead and lost in ten innings.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Lehigh Valley (6-6) lost to Norfolk, 7-4.
Tom Eshelman pitched into the sixth inning, threw 101 pitches (65 strikes, 64.3%), but walked two and was charged with 2 unearned runs among the five he allowed. Zac Curtis and Tom Windle struck out six in 2.2 innings. Windle didn’t allow a base runner. Pedro Beato gave up 2 runs in a non-save situation.
The IronPigs spent the night trying to come from behind. They closed an early deficit to one run in the fourth on Jesse Valentin’s two-out, two-run HR. They did the same in the sixth on Collin Cowgill’s pinch hit, two-out, two-run double. But that was it.
Roman Quinn had two hits and an outfield assist. Valentin had two hits.
Eshelman’s two unearned runs were the result of his own error. And a reliever who failed to strand two inherited runners.
- #14 Enyel De Los Santos (0-0, 1.80):
- #15 Tom Eshelman (1-1, 5.29): 5.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, HR
- #16 Roman Quinn (.282): went 2-5
- #18 Dylan Cozens (.250): went 0-3 with a BB
- #24 Drew Anderson: 7-day DL, right forearm strain
- #25 Cole Irvin (0-0, 5.00):
- Andrew Pullin (.133): went 0-2
- Jesse Valentin (.231): went 2-3 with 2 runs scored, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- Mitch Walding (.289): went 0-3 with a run scored, BB
- Zach Eflin (2-1, 1.69):
- Jake Thompson ( 0-0, 2.84):
- Austin Davis (0-1, 2.57):
- Brandon Leibrandt (1-0, 0.00):
Reading (5-8) beat Harrisburg, 5-4 in ten innings.
JoJo Romero gave up all 4 runs on 8 hits in 5.0 innings. But the bullpen came through. Seranthony Dominguez struck out 6 in three hitless innings, Tyler Gilbert struck out 2 in 1.2 innings, and Seth McGarry got the final out, stranding two inherited runners.
Lehigh opened the scoring with 3 runs in the first on Kyle Martin’s RBI double, Jan Hernandez’ bases loaded walk, and Emmanuel Marrero’s sacrifice fly. They re-established their three-run lead in the third on Jiandido Tromp’s two-out triple and Jan Hernandez’ RBI single.
With the game tied after nine innings, Lehigh scored on a throwing error in the tenth and won when Tyler Gilbert and Seth McGarry navigated the bottom of the inning without allowing a run.
- #9 Franklyn Kilome (0-0, 3.86):
- #17 Cornelius Randolph (.171): went 0-1 as a pinch hitter
- #11 Ranger Suarez (1-1, 4.76):
- #8 JoJo Romero (0-2, 7.71): 5.0 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, WP
- Edgar Garcia (0-0, 0.00):
- #12 Seranthony Dominguez (1-2, 2.70): 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
- Damek Tomscha (.310): played third base as part of a double switch in the ninth
- Cord Sandberg (.250): DNP
- Jiandido Tromp (.222): went 2-4 with a run scored, triple, BB, SB
- Harold Arauz (1-0, 3.38):
- Jake Waguespack (4.50):
- Seth McGarry (0-1, 1.23, 1 save): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
Clearwater (3-10) got their butts kicked by Charlotte, 18-6.
Clearwater scored first on Arquimedes Gamboa’s triple and Adam Haseley’s RBI ground out. After falling behind, they scored another run in the fourth on an error, ground out, wild pitch, and RBI ground out by Austin Listi. They tied the game in the top of the seventh with two runs on RBI singles by Raul Rivas and Luke Williams. They scored two meaningless runs in the ninth.
The runs were meaningless because after Connor Seabold exited the game after throwing five, 4-run innings, the three veteran relievers in the bullpen totally flaked out.
Jeff Singer, Aaron Brown, and Alexis Rivero combined to allow 12 hits, 14 runs, 5 BB in 2.0 innings. They also allowed 3 of 6 inherited runners to score. Felix Paulino got into the mix when he allowed 3 of 3 inherited runners to score.
- #5 Mickey Moniak: went 1-5
- #1 Sixto Sanchez:
- #6 Adam Haseley: went 1-5 with a run scored, 2 RBI
- #4 Adonis Medina (1-1, 5.63):
- #19 Jose Gomez: went 1-4
- #23 McKenzie Mills (0-1, 4.5):
- #10 Arquimedes Gamboa: went 2-4 with a run scored, triple, BB
- Darick Hall: went 0-5
- Edgar Cabral: DNP
- Austin Listi: went 0-3 with a run scored, RBI, BB
- Luke Williams: went 1-3 with an RBI, BB
- Henri Lartigue: went 1-4 with a run scored, double
- Conner Seabold (0-1, 5.87): 5.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, WP
- Alejandro Requena (0-1, 7.88): placed on the 7-day DL
- Bailey Falter (2.00):
Lakewood (6-7) lost to Greensboro, 5-4 in ten innings.
Lakewood blew an early lead on three runs in the eighth and lost in the tenth.
Ramon Rosso held the Grasshoppers to one run on two hits in six innings. He struck out seven. Julian Garcia loaded the bases with one out in the eight and was pulled for Kyle Dohy who allowed all three inherited runners to score on a passed ball, hit batter, and strike out/wild pitch. SMH. Luis Ramirez let the runner on second score on a sacrifice and single by Aaron Knapp (yes, his brother).
Jhailyn Ortiz had 3 hits including a HR. Dalton Guthrie, Rodolfo Duran, and Yahir Gurrola had 2 hits each.
- #7 Jhailyn Ortiz (.140): went 3-5 with a run scored, HR (1), 3 RBI
- #13 Daniel Brito (.188): DNP
- #22 Spencer Howard (0-1, 2.25):
- #30 Simon Muzziotti (.293): DNP
- Colby Fitch (.238): went 0-4
- Dalton Guthrie (.286): went 2-4 with 2 runs scored, double, RBI, BB
- Nick Maton (.286): went 1-5
- Quincy Nieporte (.128): went 1-5
- Jake Scheiner (.179): went 0-4 with a BB
- Josh Stephen (.313): went 1-3
- Cole Stobbe (.269):
- Ramon Rosso (0-0, 1.72): 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, HR
- Will Stewart (2-2, 0.00):
- David Parkinson (1-0, 0.00):
- Damon Jones (1-1, 2.79):
- Connor Brogdon (0-1, 7.11):
- Kyle Dohy (0-0, 0.00, 2 saves): 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, HBP, WP
These prospects are in Philadelphia or in Clearwater. Prospect rankings are from MLB.
- #2 Scott Kingery: 57 of 130 career AB, 20 of 45 days with Phillies (May 13th)
- #3 J.P. Crawford: 112 of 130 career AB, 20 of 45 days with Phillies (May 13th)
- #20 Kyle Young: not on a roster
- #21 Francisco Morales: not on a roster
- #26 Luis Garcia: not on a roster
- #27 Victor Arano: 18.0 of 50 innings, 20 of 45 days with Phillies (May 13th)
- #28 J.D. Hammer: not on a roster
- #29 Kevin Gowdy: not expected to pitch this season
There are over 90 players at the Complex. The Phillies provided a roster yesterday of the 80 players in extended spring training. The roster is included in the attached article.
4/18/18–RHP Connor Seabold assigned to Clearwater from Williamsport
4/18/18–Clearwater placed RHP Alejandro Requena on the 7-day disabled list
4/17/18–Phillies sent RHP Tommy Hunter on a rehab assignment to Clearwater
4/17/18–Reading placed 3B Brandon Bednar on the 7-day DL. Lower back strain.
4/17/18–SS Emmanuel Marrero assigned to Reading from Williamsport
4/17/18–Rafael Marcano signed as an international FA; assigned to DSL Phillies Red
4/17/18–Carlos Hernandez signed as an international FA; assigned to DSL Phillies White
4/16/18–LHP Zach Warren assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
4/16/18–3B Cole Stobbe assigned to Williamsport from Lakewood
4/15/18–Sixto Sanchez transferred from Williamsport to Clearwater
4/15/18–Rixon Wingrove signed as an international FA; assigned to GCL Phillies West
I’ve brought the rosters and lists up to date. I’ve got 324 players in the organization. It’s probably more.