Someone finally lit the burner under the hot stove season. Shohei Otani picked a team and Giancarlo Stanton accepted a trade. Hopefully this will encourage some more trades and free agent signings.
The Phillies signed a prospect and cleared some space on their 40-man roster before heading to Orlando for the Winter Meetings.
Organizational News and Changes
Otani decided to sign with the Anaheim Angels. He’s an inexpensive addition to their organization. They’ve already added Maitan from the Braves and extended Upton. Otani should certainly be an upgrade to their rotation. It will be interesting to see what other moves they make to take advantage of their remaining Trout window.
Stanton agreed to accept a trade to the Yankees, and the Marlins received very little in return – a middle infielder and a couple of A level prospects who have potential but are essentially lottery tickets at t his point. Red Sox nation is angry, so that’s good. And, maybe the Yankees are out of the running for Machado and Harper. I don’t believe that, but if it makes people feel better …
The Phillies are reported to have cleared two spots on their 40-man roster by placing Cameron Perkins and Engelb Vielma on outright waivers. The transactions haven’t posted yet.
There was also a report that the Phillies signed one of the Braves’ free agent prospects, Abrahan Gutierrez. He signed with Atlanta for $3.53M. The Phillies reportedly have a deal for $550K. Again, the transaction hasn’t posted yet.
MLB’s coverage of the Winter Meetings began Sunday night. Phillies’ manager, Gabe Kapler was interviewed by former team mate Carlos Pena. Then it seemed the coverage was mainly about the Yankees getting Stanton and what the Red Sox reaction was to the trade. I switched back to American football before Gammons was finished.
Last week I had dinner with a few ball players. Author, Steve Potter and his wife invited me and my wife to dinner with Ben Pelletier, Cord Sandberg, and Darick Hall. See if you can pick out the ball players above. It was an interesting evening. I got to talk to these guys in a non-baseball environment. The dinner was great, we went to the Island Way Grill just off the causeway into Clearwater Beach. It’s a favorite haunt of Phillies players, front office, and media. The conversation was equally great. I talked hockey, college football, and fishing with the guys. See if you can match the subject with the player.
A few more former Phillies’ prospects have found jobs. Brock Stassi signed with the Twins. Anthony Gose signed with the Rangers. Earlier, Williams Astudillo signed with the Twins; Michael Mariot signed with the Padres; Joely Rodriguez, Angelo Mora, and Perci Garner signed with the Orioles; Chace Numata signed with the Yankees; Jesen Therrien (2-years) and Pat Venditte signed with the Dodgers; and Michael Martinez signed with the Indians. Twenty-seven year olds Cody Asche and Kelly Dugan are available.
Winter ball stats are available here.
The Liga de Béisbol Profesional Roberto Clemente will play a shortened, 21-game schedule with 4 teams beginning on January 6, 2018.
Less than half of 38 players (like maybe 10, 6 of whom are in Columbia) are still active in winter ball as you can see by the Last Date column below. Abdullah Aris mad his first appearance this weekend.
|Cabral, Edgar||Nov. 15||GDD||AFL||0.298||14||47||2||14||0||4||3||13||0||0.353||0.340||0.693|
|Green, Zach||Nov. 16||GDD||AFL||0.258||18||62||10||16||2||6||4||20||0||0.324||0.419||0.743|
|Randolph, Cornelius||Nov. 16||GDD||AFL||0.239||19||71||10||17||0||8||7||20||2||0.308||0.324||0.632|
|Campbell, Derek||Dec. 9||CAI||COL||0.228||26||101||6||23||0||7||9||26||0||0.297||0.287||0.584|
|Martin, Kyle||Dec. 6||CAI||COL||0.266||25||94||11||25||1||10||15||25||1||0.375||0.362||0.737|
|Alfaro, Jorge||Dec. 6||TOR||COL||0.338||17||65||5||22||1||18||3||17||1||0.377||0.462||0.839|
|Cumana, Grenny||Dec. 9||TOR||COL||0.263||26||99||9||26||0||12||4||9||0||0.299||0.303||0.602|
|Gamboa, Arquimedes||Nov. 25||TOR||COL||0.214||56||2||12||0||6||7||15||1||0.302||0.268||0.570|
|Williams, Luke||Dec. 9||TOR||COL||0.283||26||99||13||28||0||7||14||26||3||0.374||0.303||0.677|
|Alvarez, Eliezer||Dec. 6||ESC||LIDOM||0.143||17||21||6||3||0||0||4||7||1||0.308||0.143||0.451|
|Moore, Logan||Nov. 30||EST||LIDOM||0.148||13||27||6||4||0||2||4||11||0||0.258||0.185||0.443|
|Perkins, Cameron||Nov. 1||GIG||DWL||0.258||9||31||9||8||0||3||5||3||1||0.351||0.355||0.706|
|Quinn, Roman||Oct. 22||TOR||DWL||0.125||6||16||2||2||0||0||2||5||0||0.222||0.188||0.410|
|Walding, Mitch||Nov. 12||MOC||LMP||0.228||23||79||9||18||3||10||16||23||0||0.365||0.392||0.757|
|Alastre, Jesus||Nov. 5||ARA||LVBP||0.176||13||17||3||3||0||0||1||4||0||0.222||0.176||0.399|
|Tocci, Carlos||Dec. 9||ARA||LVBP||0.222||5||18||3||4||0||1||0||3||0||0.263||0.222||0.485|
|Vielma, Engelb||Dec. 9||ARA||LVBP||0.212||24||66||8||14||0||0||5||15||1||0.278||0.258||0.535|
|Gomez, Jose||Dec. 2||LAG||LVBP||0.179||22||56||5||10||1||5||2||5||2||0.220||0.232||0.452|
|Blanco, Andres||Nov. 30||MAG||LVBP||0.314||36||137||27||43||3||10||22||30||2||0.440||0.445||0.886|
|Tromp, Jiandido||Oct. 24||MAG||LVBP||0.185||11||27||2||5||0||2||5||8||1||0.313||0.222||0.535|
|Duran, Carlos||Oct. 26||MAR||LVBP||0.250||11||36||8||9||0||3||3||9||0||0.300||0.250||0.550|
|Rivas, Raul||Nov. 8||MAR||LVBP||0.250||12||36||6||9||0||1||0||6||0||0.250||0.250||0.500|
|Brito, Daniel||Nov. 4||ZUL||LVBP||0.273||16||44||3||12||0||4||4||11||0||0.333||0.318||0.652|
|Bettencourt, Trevor||Nov. 14||GDD||AFL||10.13||0||1||8||0||1||8.0||10||9||0||3||9||1.63|
|Brown, Aaron||Nov. 16||GDD||AFL||3.00||0||0||3||0||0||3.0||5||1||0||2||2||2.33|
|Cleavinger, Garrett||Nov. 16||GDD||AFL||6.35||0||1||11||0||0||11.1||14||8||0||4||10||1.59|
|Garcia, Elniery||Oct. 28||GDD||AFL||5.79||1||2||4||4||0||14.0||15||9||1||4||13||1.36|
|Hammer, J.D.||Nov. 15||GDD||AFL||0.66||0||0||10||0||3||13.2||4||1||0||7||11||0.80|
|Campbell, Derek||Nov. 25||CAI||COL||9.00||0||0||1||0||0||1.0||1||1||1||1||0||2.00|
|Brown, Casey||Dec. 9||TOR||COL||1.73||2||1||7||7||0||36.1||36||7||0||11||23||1.29|
|Paulino, Felix||Nov. 25||TOR||COL||3.80||1||1||5||4||0||21.1||24||9||1||3||30||1.27|
|Casimiro, Ranfi||Nov. 7||AGU||LIDOM||0.00||0||0||1||0||0||1.0||1||0||0||0||0||1.00|
|Kilome, Franklyn||Nov. 22||ESC||LIDOM||7.64||0||4||6||6||0||17.2||26||15||3||7||17||1.87|
|Windle, Tom||Nov. 7||ESC||LIDOM||7.20||1||2||10||0||0||5.0||7||4||0||4||3||2.20|
|Garcia, Edgar||Dec. 6||EST||LIDOM||8.53||1||2||7||0||0||6.1||10||6||0||3||8||2.05|
|Dominguez, Seranthony||Nov. 21||GIG||LIDOM||4.91||1||0||6||0||0||7.1||7||4||1||7||8||1.91|
|Curtis, Zac||Nov. 19||LIC||LIDOM||4.05||4||2||16||0||0||13.1||13||6||0||6||17||1.43|
|Aris, Abdallah||Dec. 1||ARA||LVBP||9.00||0||0||1||0||0||1.0||2||1||1||0||0||0.20|
|Rivero, Alexis||Dec. 8||ara/zul||LVBP||9.00||0||2||12||0||2||11||15||11||2||3||10||1.64|
|Llovera, Mauricio||Nov. 17||ORI||LVBP||4.91||1||1||11||0||0||14.2||10||8||0||8||9||1.23|
The Phillies’ spring training schedule has been released. Their first spring game is at home on Thursday, February 22 v. University of Tampa. Their last game is on Tuesday, March 27th v. Pittsburgh, also at home. There are two open dates, March 6th and 15th.
I’m going to the meetings in Orlando this year. I hope I come across something worth sharing.
A Fan’s View is Steve’s second review of the Phillies’ minor league affiliates. He has received contributions from several people who have watched the teams they wrote about including Tom Housenick (Lehigh Valley), Kirsten Karbach (Clearwater), Jay Floyd (Lakewood), and me (GCL). Mark Wylie whose photos have appeared on Phuture Phillies has about a dozen and a half photos in the book, too.
Steve has published several books and rarely shows a profit. In fact, last year’s edition only recently broke even. Steve intends to donate any proceeds from this year’s book to Phillies Charities. It’s available for $15.00 on Amazon.
Steve also has a Page on Facebook. He is the source for a lot of information I can’t always share here. He sometimes is able to post news ahead of the beat writers.
- December 10-14 – Winter Meetings at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort in Orlando, Florida.
- December 14, 9:00 AM EST – Rule 5 draft.
- January 9, 2018 – Salary arbitration filing deadline
- January 12, 2018 – Salary arbitration figures exchanged
- January 29 – February 16, 2018 – Salary arbitration hearings, Phoenix, Arizona
- February 13, 2018 – earliest date for pitchers/catchers to report to Spring Training
- February 18, 2018 – earliest date for all other players to report for full squad workouts
- February 22, 2018 – Tentative date for the start of Grapefruit League games
- March 29, 2018 – Opening Day for the 2018 season
- March 29, 2018 – Phillies opening game in Atlanta
- April 5, 2018 – Phillies home opener v. Miami
April 15, 2018 – Jackie Robinson Day
April 17-18, 2018 – Twins v. Indians at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, PR
May 13, 2018 – Mother’s Day events, all host ballparks
- June 4-6, 2018 – 2018 MLB Draft
June 17, 2018 – Father’s Day events, all host ballparks
July 13-17, 2018 – All-Star Week
- July 17, 2018 – 89th All Star Game, at Nationals Park
- August 19, 2018 – Phillies v. Mets in the Little League Classic in Williamsport.
- December 10-13, 2018 – Winter Meetings in Las Vegas, Nevada
Off Season Transactions (recently reported transactions in bold): (40-man stands at 38)
- Phillies placed Cameron Perkins and Engelb Vielma on outright waivers.
- Phillies signed FA catcher Abrahan Gutierrez.
- 11/27 – Phillies sent Alberto Tirado outright to Lehigh Valley
- 11/27 – Phillies sent Mark Appel outright to Lehigh Valley
11/20 – Phillies claimed SS Engelb Vielma off waivers from San Francisco Giants
11/20 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Franklyn Kilome from Lehigh Valley
11/20 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Seranthony Dominguez from Clearwater
- 11/20 – Phillies selected the contract of LHP Ranger Suarez from Clearwater
- 11/20 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Jose Taveras from Reading
- 11/20 – Phillies designated RHP Mark Appel for assignment
- 11/20 – Phillies designated RHP Alberto Tirado for assignment
- 11/20 – Phillies sent LHP Elniery Garcia outright to Lehigh Valley
- 11/14 – Williamsport Crosscutters released CF Juan Luis
- 11/6 – RHP Jesen Therrien elected free agency
- 11/6 – CF Herlis Rodriguez elected free agency
- 11/6 – 1B Brock Stassi elected free agency
- 11/6 – C Nick Rickles elected free agency
- 11/6 – LHP Cesar Ramos elected free agency
- 11/6 – SHP Pat Venditte elected free agency
- 11/6 – RHP Michael Mariot elected free agency
- 11/6 – 3B Hector Gomez elected free agency
- 11/6 – SS Angelo Mora elected free agency
- 11/6 – LF Christian Marrero elected free agency
- 11/6 – RHP Colton Murray elected free agency
- 11/6 – RHP Miguel Nunez elected free agency
- 11/6 – 1B Harold Martinez elected free agency
- 11/6 – C Chace Numata elected free agency
- 11/6 – 1B Wilson Garcia elected free agency
- 11/6 – RHP Jesen Therrien elected free agency
- 11/6 – CF Pedro Florimon elected free agency
- 11/6 – Phillies activated RHP Vince Velasquez from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/6 – Phillies activated RHP Jerad Eickhoff from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/6 – Phillies activated RHP Zach Eflin from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/6 – Phillies sent RHP Jesen Therrien outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 11/6 – Phillies sent CF Pedro Florimon outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 11/2 – RF Hyun Soo Kim elected free agency
- 11/2 – LF Daniel Nava elected free agency
- 11/2 – 3B Andres Blanco elected free agency
- 11/2 – RHP Clay Buchholz elected free agency
- 11/2 – Phillies activated RHP Jesen Therrien from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/2 – Phillies activated CF Pedro Florimon from the 60-day disabled list
- 10/30-11/6 – Logan Moore re-signed with the Phillies
- 9/30-10/13 – Ranfi Casimiro re-signed with the Phillies
- 10/13 – Pedro Beato elected free agency
- 10/5 – Kevin Segrist elected free agency
- 10/5 – Ty Kelly elected free agency
- 10/4 – Philadelphia Phillies sent LHP Kevin Siegrist outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 10/4 – Philadelphia Phillies sent 2B Ty Kelly outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 9/16-29 – Mitch Walding re-signed with the Phillies
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.
- The organization’s injury list retains the injuries at the end of the 2017 season. All are expected to be okay by the start of spring training.
- The organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list is as accurate as I can make it.
Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.
By the way, I’m serious about the tone and language used in the comments section. The anonymous warning I gave went unheeded and the long-time reader has been prevented from commenting. If you want to be rude, find another site.